ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
jodirt OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2011 transam trail

HI, I have allways be a sport bike rider here in the blueridge mnts. I thought the curvey roads and occasional track days would never get old but now at the age of 32 i feel 62 after leaning over on a 100mi day ride. S0 me and my wife thought it would be neat to have some off road bikes. Last March we bought two new 09 klx 250's. We did alot of riding last year on the klx's packing up and camping over the weekend ect. So for about a year i've wanted to ride the transam trail but due to a normal job i knew I'd never get 4-5 weeks off. Well maybe it's good or maybe its bad but AT&T layed me off in OCT so now I seem to have extra time. I was thinking if I'm still unempolyed in JUNE of 2011 It would be a perfect time to ride the transam trail from NC to OREGON and back but a different route. I thought about renting a uhaul and pulling it back from around new mexico but the cheapest i can find is about 1000.00 and whats the fun in that. I guess i'm gonna plan on about a 8500 mi trip on two wheels. What I hope yal can help me with is do u think the klx 250 (abit small i know) can handle such a trip? And it looks like I'll be solo as of now so is anyone else thinking about riding all or any of the trail next summer?
jodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
trblmkr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I have a 09 KLX 250 that I mainly ride single track and more challenging trails. I have looked for a larger fuel tank so I can ride more than 90+ miles at a time , but have not been able to find one. I know for sure I would have to find a more comfortable seat than my stock seat. I would like to do the transam trail, but would ride the KLR or DR for sure due to the overall comfort factor and extended fuel range.
trblmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Dude you are 32 so I say suck it up and ride the klx. Stock seats arent bad as long as you aren't 70 lame, cripple or crazy. As for dependability, if you have performed regular maintenance on the bike and i has low miles then it should be fine.

Personally I would take a goldwing so the ride would be more comfy and reverse is nice. Plus I could pack all of my unnecessary crap. Lol
Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,060
Post this here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You will get more responses.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Well......Maybe...

I might have some time around that time of year...
Which Black Mtns you in....
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,150
If you only have a 90 mile range it might make it tough.

I may be looking at June of this year also.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
jodirt OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
I might have some time around that time of year...
Which Black Mtns you in....
black mountain,NC
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
jodirt OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmkr View Post
I have a 09 KLX 250 that I mainly ride single track and more challenging trails. I have looked for a larger fuel tank so I can ride more than 90+ miles at a time , but have not been able to find one. I know for sure I would have to find a more comfortable seat than my stock seat. I would like to do the transam trail, but would ride the KLR or DR for sure due to the overall comfort factor and extended fuel range.
A larger tank would be nice. I get around 65mi to the gal on pavement so I figured maybe I could get alittle over 100miles per tank on dirt and hopefully there will be gas stations close enough to stop at. If not I guess I'll carry extra fuel at times. Your right the stock seat does suck Ive be riding on a gel seat cover but it does'nt seem to help that much. I was thinking of wearing some padded biker shorts under my pants to help too.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I believe the guy who routed out the TAT used a KLX. Yes it can do it.
Get you a rack set up or a giant loop bag. You can fit a larger tank, search the KAw KLX forums.
Corbin now has a seat available or you could check out what I think is called sweet cheeks for more comfort.
Please post a ride report with pics!
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
trblmkr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
KLX fuel tank

Found this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...68#post7332868 I called Acerbis about this tank and they told me that they had to many complaints about all of the extra mods one has to do to make this work, so they do not offer anymore.
trblmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Cycleracks (http://www.cycleracks.com) markets a rack for the KLX250S strong enough to haul out a moose quarter, as well as a pannier luggage set attaching to the Cyclerack.

Have that setup for my KLR250 (top case and saddle bags fit any Cyclerack) anticipating a TAT run; please check your PM's, jodirt, for details.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
I think the klx250s will be just dandy, its not like you need to cruise at 100mph on the TAT. I would want more fuel - I'm sure there's a way to do it, the bike isn't that different from the klx250/300 (off road version). Folks have done it on a DR350 and found the bike well suited for the trip and the KLX is quite similar to the DR in terms of overall performance.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 396
Tat 2011

Did the TAT from Siloam Springs Arkansas to Moab in '07 and from Moab to Port Orford Oregon in '08. Unless you plan on going off trail often you will need a range of at least 250 miles. You could get by on less till you get past Moab. After that, gas stations are just not always available. And gas may no longer be available at some of the midday rest stops Sam has planned. Darn--even in Oklahoma the closest gas station might be 20 to 30 miles off the route.
Now about your planned June start. You should be ok till you hit the higher elevations after Trinidad ,Co. Many of the passes will be closed until early to mid July. You could slab it past them but you will miss the best parts of the ride and be forced into a lot of backtracking.
Get in touch with Sam for the maps. Then check out Mark Sampsons web site at www.bigdogadventures.com and look at his ride reports. He has a lot of info available.
Now about the KLX250--sure it's big enough. Did the Continental Divide ride with my son on my WR250r in '09. But i have the big 4 gallon (3.9 actual) Safari tank and a 240 mile range. And we also had a 2 gallon Kolpin tank in the saddle bags as backup. I was on an '03 KLR with the 7 gallon IMS "tanker" tank. You cannot have too much gas out there.
If you have any questions just give me a PM. Remember, just like Red Green," were all in this together"
RoadDad is online now   Reply With Quote