User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #151
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Quick update

Still working on the bike and trying to get my logistics figured out among other things. If anyone is poking around the course and might be able to give me a pit somewhere along the way, let me know. I have a ton of balls in the air right now.

Including this ball...

The engine will not be the weak link now. My body and my planning will for sure be the weak link given the course planned for this year.

Also, I had this pic sitting around and I thought I'd share it. In 2003 I went to a local trials event to watch with a good friend of mine and we dragged my DRZ along. We ended up entering the novice class and rode about half of the event before stopping to watch the guys with talent. The section below was the only one I zero'd. It was a lot of fun and made me want to go and get a real trials bike...maybe sometime in the future.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #152
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

What went wrong?

I wrote the V2R review and promised the part about what did not work and the rest of life took over and I forgot it completely. So here is a quick summary.

Riding shorts - I broke the rule about not changing something before a big event. What could possibly go wrong? New riding shorts should have been the ulitmate in comfort and pleasure instead of my old, worn out pairs. WRONG. Something about the way the vertical seam on the backs of the legs rubbed against the seat gave me the most horrific 3" diameter holes of missing flesh on the bottom of each cheek. This was compounded by me being a little cautious early in the day and sitting way more than I usually do. I likely would have been better in a pair of cotton boxer-briefs.

Grips - With the hand problems I've been having I was desperate to make some progress towards non-numbness. On the recommendation from Brandon who swears by the TAG Diamond grips I put them on before the event with only a quick test ride. I think they did help with the numbness, though I still had a right hand that was practically incapacitated by the end of the event. However those little pyramids gave me blisters in the palms of my hands that I had never had before. By the end my hands were pretty beat up.

GPS – As I said earlier, I had my GPS mounted at the beginning of the event and took it off by the second pit. With the course marked every mile it served no purpose except to be an excellent distraction, especially on the fast sections. I had my SPOT so if I needed to communicate my location I was just an SOS button away.

Crew at the early pits – My crew was awesome and have likely competed over a hundred times between the two of them (maybe more, I really don't know). But none of us had ever done an event like this that was so sizable and started so early with everyone (including the pit crew) needing to go full speed from the get-go. It took them a couple of pits to get into the groove (without any coffee no less) and it's possible we could have screwed the pace of the race if they would've been much later to the second pit.

Hammer Perpetuem – Previously I said the Perpetuem was excellent and powered me really well, which was totally true. With my training and testing though I'd never gone for such a long time in such intensive heat, and I'm pretty sure I messed up the ratio of proper intake. From my testing I was confident I could get all of the hydration I needed from a well balanced formula of Perpetuem. With the hot weather though, I think I consumed a little more then I should have and by noon time I had gas coming out of both ends like crazy. I have a sensitive stomach sometimes anyway so I just focused through the stomach cramps, but at the pit stops I was downing way more water than I had planned. The next time I'd keep the same mixture of the goop but take twice as many drinks from my water bladder. I was passing enough liquid to know I was not dehydrated, but it seemed like I just had a too-high goop to water ratio.

Pacing – My goal was to first finish and second to finish fit enough to the point I felt like I could have gone further. The first 250 miles I was riding very conservatively to preserve both myself and the bike. Once I made it past the half way point I had a good idea of what was needed to finish and I was able to ride a little stronger. Knowing now the pace and endurance required to finish I would push a bit harder through the whole race.

Lights – If you are going to get stuck out at night, more lights is better. The BD HID is great, but I should have mounted my HID helmet lights. In that rocky section at the end being able to spot the rocks with a helmet light and look through the corners would have added to the safety and speed for sure. I had the extra lights in the van, but I was too eager to get back on the course and opted just for the single 8” HID.

SIDI SRS Boots – It is amazing when I think that I've had the same riding boots for almost a decade. I've repaired them a few times, but for the most part they are still as comfy and tough as they ever were. It's almost embarrassing to think how many dirt miles those boots have traversed. I'm confident they could go another season at least. BUT, old man Pilo is getting wide feet as I get older, and the right foot has especially blossomed. I'm fine for a few hours, but eventually I get such a hot spot on the outside of my foot that I need to pull it off the peg and push my foot inward. I've been using thinner and thinner socks over the years, but now I may need to go sockless or finally find a nice pair of boots made for wide feet. Any suggestions?

So there you have it. Not really a long list or a big list of issues, but one I promised I'd share.

Gratuitious glamor shot by my wife before we left for V2R.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #153
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
The SRS's which i used on my first v 2 r are ok for short 3 -5 hr rides.. but the crossfire MX boot is the go to for me now .. especially for the standing.. the srs seems to not have enough cushion.. try the crossfire MX ..

good luck!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #154
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

SIDI SRS Boots It is amazing when I think that I've had the same riding boots for almost a decade. I've repaired them a few times, but for the most part they are still as comfy and tough as they ever were. It's almost embarrassing to think how many dirt miles those boots have traversed. I'm confident they could go another season at least. BUT, old man Pilo is getting wide feet as I get older, and the right foot has especially blossomed. I'm fine for a few hours, but eventually I get such a hot spot on the outside of my foot that I need to pull it off the peg and push my foot inward. I've been using thinner and thinner socks over the years, but now I may need to go sockless or finally find a nice pair of boots made for wide feet. Any suggestions?
I had some plastic climbing boots that I needed to make a little wider in the toe box, especially near joint of the 5th metatarsal and phalanges. I took them to the ski/climbing shop and they heated the plastic up with hot water and then used a series of metal shaping tools to work the platic out a bit. I probably gained a 1/4 inch or so of more room. No more tightness in the toe box. A cobbler could probably do the same for you. Works with leather as well, but in both cases can weaken the material a little at that point.

Hope that helps. -Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #155
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Boots and stuff

Thanks guys for the advice about the boots. I'd really like to get another set of Sidi's. They've lasted so well it is amazing. If I can't swing that I'm going to go to the local boot guy and see if he can give them a stretch.

On another note. While doing motor work I decided to fix some of the handguard troubles I've always had and I bought some threaded inserts from HDB. These are awesome, you tap the bar ends and thread in the insert and then have a solid mount for the guards. No more fooling with squishy aluminum parts. I bought a set for the 950 too.

After a couple of exchanges with Paul at HDB (he read the thread!) he recommended I try his anti-vibe insert with a similar threaded end. They are a pretty simple design and I'm just going to start with one on the right side to see if I can notice the difference and my hand issues survivable. He makes really nice stuff. Here are the goodies!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #156
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

run row ride

For the last couple of weeks since I've been feeling better I've just been run-row on my training. Now I have the 450 back together and I'll be returning to the run-row-ride training plan.

Clock is ticking for Baja
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #157
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Looks like I'm headed to Baja but to support Pilo not race. It will be different to be on the other side and not on the bike but I'm looking forward to seeing Pilo come into the finish.

Now it's time to get training tacos and tequila here I come.
Photobucket

Good thing I started last week in cancun.

frog screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 06:02 PM
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #158
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
That's awesome guys, good luck!

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #159
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Looks like I'm headed to Baja but to support Pilo not race. It will be different to be on the other side and not on the bike but I'm looking forward to seeing Pilo come into the finish.

dude you are THEE pitman... if I was serious and needed someone you would be him Matt.. Pilo youre a lucky man..

now make sure that honda has a brand new top end, the crank big end is sound and a fresh piston and rings... and

FINISH that shi....zzle
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #160
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post

Good thing I started last week in cancun.

Need an A-Driver? I can turn follow orders and turn a wrench and pass this and that and help with nav. I plan on racing next year so I';d like to see how the pit stuff works. I'm a white boy, I live in TJ and speaky the spanish.

Jeremy
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #161
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Atta' Boy

Go get 'em, Phil.
With Frog in your pits you'll have a wealth of experience down there. You guys will kick ass.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #162
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Hey guys, does Baja have you use any tracking device? And if so, can we follow online real time?

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #163
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Cat's out of the bag

frog broke the news. The team is coming together and as a lot of you already know, I could not pay for a better corner man. Thanks Matt.

I may be riding solo, but it is the team that's going to finish.

For sure I would have no chance without a great team. It was true for Vegas to Reno and Baja is another level. This is a big commitment for any friend to support and I hope I can recipricate sometime in the future.

We have a few options for the co-pilot seat and will work that out over the next few weeks. Beechum, I'll PM you in the near future.

wrk2surf - The 450x had a new piston for V2R, and now has a new crank, new wristpin, some bearings and a whole lot of love. The tranny looked solid so the motor should do its thing no problem. I'm headed out on Dawn Patrol tomorrow morning to give it a good flogging and see if stays together. It certainly rattles a lot less than it did with the loose small rod end.

Miguez - I'll have a spot on my (see my signature) and hopefully we run a second on the van, just for extra precaution. I plan to have a pair of sat phones rented just in case too.

We're all in now...I'm just waiting for that twomanmovers sticker to put on the back of the van with the rest of the sponsors.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #164
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Today my wife said...

Today my wife and I were discussing Baja and I was talking strategy and spare parts and frog and vans and sand and trophy trucks and my V2R strategy and...

suddenly she stops and looks me dead in the eyes. Which means she is straight serious and frankly, as much as we kid around, doesn't happen so much. So she looks hard at my eyes and says, dead dead dead serious.

"Once the start flag at baja drops, you've won. You've been dreaming about this for years and training for over a year. Every mile past the start is a bonus."

I was truly stopped in my thoughts. She was right in that the destination of all of this is getting to the start, not the finish. After the start all the worries, prep and expenses fade away; then it's all sugar.

Considering that, I still plan on collecting 720 odd bonus miles...

pilo screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 07:39 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #165
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
We have a few options for the co-pilot seat and will work that out over the next few weeks. Beechum, I'll PM you in the near future.
I know there's always people axin for spots and trying to get a ride, so no worries, Just throwing it out and see what sticks.....

J
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote