Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Just wanted to chime in on the hydration question...
I have had a lot of luck mixing pedialyte and water in a 3 liter camelback. Tastes pretty good, and it's effective. Simple, unscientific, and cheap. Even bought some in a drug store on Embarcadera ( sp? ), but my pronunciation was pretty bad.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
azduster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
""NXDB - I don't know about any fountain of youth. I'm still suffering from a back injury where I was rear ended on the 950 a couple of years back. I will say however, though I haven't been doing it for long, that the rowing machine comes about as close as a fountain as I have found. Especially for riding bikes. With some intesive sets of push ups and sit ups combined with some 2K intervals on the rower, every important muscle group in your body is hit, along with some descent cardio. My back muscles love it.""

Agreed, other than riding, the rowing machine has been the best cross over exercise for me. Last year a huge part of training for Vegas to Reno ironman was the concept rowing machine for me. Good luck this year
azduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
For drink mix I stopped at a GNC on the way to the race and told them what I was up to. They gave me some powder and said to mix with water and drink just a bit before the start. I did and I think it helped a lot. I also had one bladder of gatoraid. I don't remember what the powder stuff was called, but I think they said it was mainly used by marathoners. I just drank water during the race because I didn't have a pit crew and snagged water from baja pits. I think a few gatoraid refills and maybe one more hit of that powder stuff half way though would have helped a lot.

A decade ago I used cytomax and it was good stuff.

buryurfear14, I live in DC and managed it. Drive out, race, drive home. Its a hassle, but do-able. If you hire bajabound you can even fly out.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
I use Sustained fuel in a small camelback bladder and a larger one full of water with drops in it that turn it into electrolyte drink that is tasteless. The sustained fuel is what marathon runners use to get calories while running. I also use salt pills. Go to hammer nutritions website they have tons of good reading.

The thing you have to do is pick what you want to use and train with it. That way you know what will work and what won't.

Funny you say I bounce and not break. I've broken tons of bones. But have gotten pretty good at tuck and roll.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 864
I have an ultra-marathoner friend who uses some of those Hammer products. I was thinking of giving them a try.

Pediatlyte is a good idea for a quick fix. I've been using chocolate milk as a recovery drink for years and that's worked great for me. Some of the research shows it's as good as the high $$ recovery drinks and for me I could never feel the difference in the payoff. In fact, in the first pic in this blog I'm drinking some c-milk after a race. That stuff goes down smooth for me.

Once after a race I was definitely dehydrated and I had no water and the 'monster energy' truck was at the race. I had an ME for the first time in my life and I cramped up severely. I was doubled over for the rest of the afternoon and my good friend Brandon had to load my bike and drive us home while I was on the floor of the van in pain...that was the first and last energy drink I ever consumed. Very nasty stuff for my delicate stomach.

Frog - anyone who could wrestle the 950 with flats and crashes and finish V2R without breaking enough bones to be incapacitated is a bouncer for sure, or as you claim, a Chad Reed style tuck and roller.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #21
azduster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
""The thing you have to do is pick what you want to use and train with it. That way you know what will work and what won't.""

+1

I have always trained and raced with cytomax and works for me.
My Buddy who won Vegas to Reno Expert Ironman last year wouldnt touch the stuff but swears by drinking pediolyte before the start and at pit stops and straight water in his camelback.
azduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
commander51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Plus 2 on the cytomax, I use it on all my long distance races.
commander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
I ran the V2R last year with a couple buddies for the first time and we are planning on running it again this year, if there is anything we can do to help, just holler!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Hammertime...

I got some Hammer products this week. I'll be trying out the various goodies over the next few weeks. Sometimes my stomach can be a little fussy so it will be good to try them out. I already tried their drink and I was surprised at how light it tasted compared to the sugary goodness you can get from the refrigertors at the 7-11. I'm excited to try it out. The MX track and dusk training runs should be more interesting...

AngryShawn - I look forward to catching up with you in Vegas. I would love to say hey. Did you guys use Bajapits last year? How did that go?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #25
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
AngryShawn - I look forward to catching up with you in Vegas. I would love to say hey. Did you guys use Bajapits last year? How did that go?
We're planning on arriving on weds evening, staying at the host hotel. I'll pm you my mobile number.
Yes, we sprung for baja pits as it was cheaper than running two chase vehicles and we felt it was good for piece of mind. We primarily used them for fuel and backup so we wouldn't worry about skipping pits with our chase vehicle. Thankfully we had no major need for their services besides fuel, water and pep talks, but we were happy they were there just in case!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Interested in how the training and preparation is going. V2R is only a few months off. Good luck with your training. I used gatorade and clif c2max training for a marathon a few years back. I agree that the trick is to get your body used to whatever you plan to use for the race. I used gu during the race, which wasn't in my training regimen and my stomach was all messed up by the end.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Thanks...

Thanks for the comments and the PMs.

Shiveley - I'm doing about 10K meters on the rower about 4 times a week and mixing it up with some interval training and a few P90x videos here and there. The rower, for those who have not tried one, is pretty amazing for a whole body exerciese. I've been sneeking in spurts of riding wherever I can fit it in though I concentrate on stopping back by the van only for fuel and then I quickly motor off. I've done a couple hours at the MX track non stop and have a 35 miles loop out in the desert that I can pound a few times early in the AM and still make it to my desk early in the AM. It is an excellent mix of ATV, single track, some wide open stuff and 5 miles or so of good whoops. My spot is on when I ride, so if anyone is curious early in the AM take a peek and see if I'm hitting some loops. I plan to be out early tomorrow AM.

It sounds like there will be some other ADV's at the BOR race, so that should be fun.

By the way, the Hammer drink is fantastic, but the energy bars, like most of them that I've tried are really tough for me to get down. It tastes like a chewy chunk of chocolate flavored cardboard. They work well though, I just wish someone could make one that taste more like a cereal bar or better yet a Snickers bar!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 462
Happy to donate

Phil,
I sent a donation in your name and happily bump your effort back to the top of the race forum.
Good luck with your race efforts!

Doug

Maybe... just maybe... see you soon.
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #29
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
We'll be at the host hotel on Tuesday night. Looking forward to meeting and getting passed by you guys...
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #30
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Thanks Doug

I appreciate you thinking of the YWCA and helping out. Every little bit helps. I was just down there the other day and it is amazing how they help out these women and their families who are trying to get a fresh start. Domestic violence is awful enough but the people working there see the damage it causes every day. They are a very devoted group of people.

M.A.G. - We won't be there until Thursday but I'll be wearing a fishwrites.com t-shirt, so come and say hey. By the end I suspect there is a good chance you are going to pass me.

One more bonus - today for my birthday my wife got me an MX handlebar that replaces the regular handle on my rower. Very cool gift and now I can row like Stewy and Reed!