User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #316
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671

more.................?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #317
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

more.................?
Seriously looking forward to the +24hr time mark when I'm sure your brain/body was fried. Come on Phil, fill us in. We clearly have nothing better to do.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #318
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 316
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #319
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Encore

Thought it may seem like I'm acting like the band waiting for the crowd to scream loud enough before coming back for an encore. I've actually just been busy trying to finish up a few things, including getting ready for the holidays. I'm eager to continue the story and am a novice at the dramatic pause.

Silverboy, as W2S pointed out it is indeed a Baja Designs 8" HID. It needs a rewound stator to work well. If not you'll kill your battery (at least one team found that out the hard way). For someone not going for the win it works fine. It is great way out, but you need something to fill in front of the wheel. The BD Stryker I borrowed from Frog and Commander51 worked great. LED and very power efficient (small batteries - I carried a spare in my pack including the one for the light). The pro's run the double 8" lights. More light makes a big difference.

Back to the story.

I was working my way south as the sun set. The whoops started up strong after the Diablo lake bed and did not back off. I had heard about miles of whoops but honestly I thought they would be 5 or 10 mile sections and then have some sandy two track. These whoops went on continuously. They were mostly not crazy deep (2-4 feet perhaps) but the trucks create them spaced really far apart. It's either 20 mph or 35-40 at least to skim them. Right before I hit the Matomi wash I remember thinking "Who comes here to ride for fun...they must be insane."

I hit the wash and instead of sand it was really fine pebbles that made the bike just sink and knife. On the throttle I'd get up to plane like a boat and then the front wheel would hit the thousands of basketball rocks hidden right under the surface and deflect or slide out. That wash was really hard to ride consistent.

At one point about 35 miles from the next pit, the light was almost gone and I came across a ride on a 250f stopped with no lights. He was having trouble with his lights and also couldn't get his bike started. I told him he could follow me in but he still couldn't get his bike started. I got off and kicked his bike for a minute or so trying every trick I know, but something was definitely up. After a few minutes I told him I needed to keep racing and I told him I'd let Bajapits know he was out there so his team could figure out a plan. I motored off feeling a little bad, but I knew there was a sweep team coming through at some point also. I also knew the trucks were coming and I wanted to stay ahead.

The next 35 miles took forever. Huge whoops, deep sand, crazy crazy conditions. I distinctly remember laughing out loud multiple times at the pure ridiculousness of the situation. I also remember thinking, "this seemed like such a good idea at the time!"

Crew waiting for my arrival south of San Felipe (RM322). Frog checking SMS on SAT.

I was getting really hungry in the section. When I finally made it to the pits I was again laughing loudly telling the crew how crazy the course was. Jim was waiting there with a banana and PBJ sandwich. I asked if anyone had anything heavier...I was tired of PBJ! Dumbgirl found me some pulled pork sandwiches from Bajapits...wonderful! I pounded down that food like it was manna from heaven.

mmm pork

My coach giving me some words about the TT's coming hot on my tail.

Ready to Roll

The trucks arrived while I was at the pit at BP#8 (RM 322) and they blazed through solid for a few hours.

I rolled out of that pit feeling strong and confident to meet the crew 80 miles down the course at Zoo road.

Pit 8
Time In: 6:21
Time Out: 6:45 (What the heck was I doing for so long?)
Avg Speed: ~29 MPH
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #320
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246

More more.

Pork on a racing stomach dude I would die.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #321
miatre
So yeah about that.

Oddometer: 88
Fantastic report. Cant wait to read more.
miatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #322
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Food

Actually the hot sandwiches were exactly what I needed. As I was out in the sand I was thinking about how hungry I was getting and I wasn't too excited about the prospect of eating the same thing I'd had all day. The pork really sat nicely in my stomach. Also you can see in the one pic that I had a can of coke next to me. I could tell I needed a boost of sugar and typically I stay away from soda (not always). Certainly while exercising I almost never drink anything like soda. Like I said though I could tell I needed some sugar and in Mexico the coke uses real sugar and not corn syrup (mmmmmm). It was a funny moment though when I was arguing about the soda they brought me since it was a Diet Coke and I knew that wasn't going to give me the sugar boost I was looking for. Dumbgirl and I went back and forth a couple of times with Bajapits until they convinced me that the white can was a Christmas Coke and not a diet. It sure tasted good.

Another picture from earlier in the day. I think this is about RM90 or so.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #323
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Damn proud of ya, Phil.

Merry Christmas!
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #324
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Very nice race report. Sounds like a brutal, yet fun ride! Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #325
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

A small whoop, and medium whoop and a large nasty whoop walk into a bar...

I left BP 8 feeling really good with a full stomach and a fresh battery for my headlight. For the next couple of hours the trucks and buggies were rolling through with a vengeance. Fortunately at night it is pretty easy to tell they are coming since your own shadow appears in your lights when the trucks are at least 1/4 mile back. I spent quite a bit of time pulled way off of the course wathcing this...

The whoops were totally relentless and continued to get looser as the trucks went through. In fact I found out that though the whoops looked solid from left to right, the trucks actually left silty troughs where their tires churned through. When the bike would fall into the invisible rut, it would act just like it was in silt except with no dust. I tried to ride between the tire tracks where the sand was a bit firmer, but it was hard to figure out the locations of the invisible ruts. Pound pound pound pound pound. Whoops going on into the darkness and NEVER stopping.

I paused at BP pit 9 to top off my fuel. Basically two guys in the middle of nowhere around a few burning tires. Thumbing the starter I was back in the whoops averaging who knows how slow...

Another 50 miles of whoops and trucks before I got to BP pit number 10 and my crew. I had been passed many times in the whoops by trucks, but in this section I was passed by trucks where the whoops were so big even they were unable to motor through them. The trucks would roll the whoops, accelerating down the backside through the bottom and then they would brake at the top of the whoop to avoid catching air and casing the next whoop. The nose would drop and they would repeat the whole process. At least I found a section where we were all rolling the whoops!

BP#10 was at Zoo road in San Felipe. I felt great rolling in and the crew was there waiting for me.

As at every pit, Frog was doing a great job at asking me about the bike and how I was doing. Dumbgirl 'borrowed' some pizza from Mike's (259x) crew. Ahh that pizza was great. I was likely telling a truck story or something. Also, Frog found some kind of mocha latte drink that had caffeine, sugar and chocolate all rolled together. That was the perfect drink (in the holder in the chair). Jim was on stand-by with my Hammer mix on the left.

This crew was 'on it'. Check them out. This was about 10 o'clock at night and they had been going almost as hard as I had. They were amazing.

Here was my technique for getting my Camelbak refilled with the Hammer. It was easier than trying to pull out both bladders and stuff them back in. On the right is Mike, another solo rider (he also was one of the few that finished.

Before I knew it, it was time to get back to the grind.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #326
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Before I knew it, it was time to get back to the grind.

You look great, Phil. I am enjoying the read and photos.

Thank you,NX
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #327
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Good grief, are we done with the whoops yet?

Forgot to share this one before. BP#10 - The crew had been going all day hard. It takes its toll. Frog and Dumbgirl maximize the use of the downtime.

Right before I left Bajapit #10, talking with Mike and the crew.

Heading north out of Zoo road I was feeling good since I knew this was the last section of whoops and I just needed to make it to the next pit to meet my crew.

The sign leaving Zoo road. It must be taken seriously...

I hammered north through the San Felipe dump (yes, the course tends to run you through the town dumps...) and hugged the left hand side of the whoops to get into my zone. Anyone watching my SPOT knows what happened next. I keep pounding pounding pounding and after many miles the whoops kind of petered off to the left and a few track turned to the right, but the trail did not look nearly as abused as normal. I took the tracks to the right and ended up on a road with local traffic. I could tell from my GPS that I was a mile or two off of the course, but since it was only tracking race course marks every mile or so, it was possible I was still on the course. I wandered up and down the road for a bit looking for a shortcut over to the next waypoint on the GPS, but it was solid desert. I went back down off the road back to the course to see if I missed a turn and couldn't see anything that looked correct. I wandered back the road and repeated my loop but know realized I was seriously lost. Finally I backtracked on the course sticking way to the right in case I was going backwards on the course. I found some old course markers from the San Felipe 250, but none for the 1000. After many miles (10? 15?) I saw some fires and saw some people waving me over to the left (east) near some power lines, all the way back at the dump. I'm not sure how I missed the turn, but the mistake cost me a bunch of time (An hour? more? I have no idea).

I got back on the course and followed the whoops north. At one point I was confused since I saw the road and thought I was near Borrego, but after looking at the map after the fact, I realize I was only near the San Felipe road going north.

The whoops just kept going and genuinely seemed like they would never end. My fatigue had sort of stabilized though, and I felt like I could keep going at the same speed and intensity for however long it took to get the section done. I was getting a little spacey though and starting to wonder if I somehow missed the next Baja Pits. The dark night just showed whoop after whoop in my headlights. I began to wonder a bit if I was lost again.

Then suddenly the BP#11 appeared out of nowhere and Frog and the crew were waving me in. I was feeling great since I knew where I was and knew that I only had about 20 more miles of whoops along the power line road. As typical, the BP guys were awesome.

Mikes crew (hat), Jim and Frog getting me juiced up.

BP cleaning the goggles and me downing another one of those awesome Frappacinos! Those really hit the spot.

We finished up and I high-fived the BP crew. Soon I was back on the bike, zooming off into the night with fresh juice and a fresh headlight battery. I was feeling great.

BP#11 In 1:05 Out 1:20 AVG ~25 MPH
Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #328
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Looks like you two are getting ready to square off.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #329
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

And notice, West Side Story style, he's standing with his gang at his sides while I am hiding behind mine...big tough guy that I am.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #330
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
And notice, West Side Story style, he's standing with his gang at his sides while I am hiding behind mine...big tough guy that I am.
"You cut me off at mile 580!"