Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #346
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 394
Thanks for the almost final installment Phil, really appreciate you recounting the whole experience for us!
I think I'm probably of the minority here that is not dakar crazed
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #347
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshawn View Post
thanks for the almost final installment phil, really appreciate you recounting the whole experience for us!
I think i'm probably of the minority here that is not dakar crazed

+1.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #348
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I'm still here Pilo. And since I finished your book , I am ready to read more about the baja. Thanks again.
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #349
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
While I was busy crashing, the crew was racing down the mountain into Ensenada to beat me to the finish line. Evidently I took my time since from the looks of these photos the crew was practically asleep waiting for me to show.

The donkey

Frog flexing his back muscles for the camera

beechum1

Empty finish line

Meanwhile I was still trying to blow the dust off while racing down the hill...
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #350
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Still here and loving the story !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #351
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

To the finish

Beside the reality that I was pretty irritated at myself for crashing so late in the race and possibly causing the cost of my experience to jump up by about $1000 with the destruction of my 1990’s looking sat phone, I was really enjoying the last legs of the ride. The slippery surface caused some caution and a couple of large ruts across the roads had me slamming on the brakes a few times. As I dropped down through the villages, I began to see more and more locals hanging out by the course. The density of spectators was probably 10% of what it had been over 24 hours before and in the eyes of some of the drunken or sleep deprived locals it seemed like they were encouraging the last rider on the course. I swear it had been so long since I’d seen another bike that I felt like I was the last guy left out on the course.

The smell of the ocean crept up the further I descended and I could almost taste the finish line. I rolled around a corner and blasted across a bridge as hard as my right hand would take me. As I neared the middle of the short bridge and truck emerged over the short rise in the road on the exit side of the bridge. I have no idea how fast the truck was going, but he was flying backwards on the course. I gassed it an darted to the edge of the single lane bridge and just made it off the corner and into the shoulder of the stream as he blasted onto the bridge. If was a second later, or he was a second earlier it could have gotten really messy. It’s crazy that locals know what is going on but still speed backwards on the roads.

Soon I was bounding around the outskirts of Ensenada and I was feeling the finish. The day was bright, the spectators seemed to be building a little, and I knew I was close. Before I knew it I was on pavement and sliding once again through the corners. One last turn and I dropped down into the wash for the final section of dirt. This really was a dream come true and as I was motoring down the now sloppy wash I was choking up and my eyes were wet. It would’ve probably turned into a full-on Barbara Walters moment if I hadn’t come across dam the spectators built under the last bridge that provided enough distraction to stem my flow of tears.

The water/mud looked deep and the spectators had erected enough ribbon to direct all vehicles through the muck. Not knowing the depth of the goo I stopped in front of the lake and screamed at the locals enough so that they lifted the ribbon and let me scoot around the toxic waste.

From there it was just a few more turns to the finish. Notice the reflectance from the ADV sticker!

A few more turns on the pavement and the finish line was in site. I couldn't stop smiling.

I got to the finish and met Sal who said something like:

"You were one of the solo guys, right?"

"Yep"

"I'm really sorry about the course. I don't know how you guys do it."

I laughed a bit, took my finisher pins and rode off of the mound. The crew was waiting in the bull pen.

Here I'm pulling the parts from the transponder from my pack and trying to explain that "I'm sure it still works!"

Not sure what I'm explaining here...perhaps discussing the angle at which my body separated from the bike after my pirouette.

Per Frog's initial race strategy and advice, I saw that street, twice.

So that was that. 29 hours and 4 minutes. I finished the Baja 1000, solo.

Next up - the aftermath.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #352
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

Not sure what I'm explaining here...perhaps discussing the angle at which my body separated from the bike after my pirouette.
I think it was something like, "You know, there were so many whoops, i don't even know how many whoops there were, maybe there were thousands, or tens of thousands, but there were just so many whoops."
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #353
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

"Look away, I'm hideous...."
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #354
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I think it was something like, "You know, there were so many whoops, i don't even know how many whoops there were, maybe there were thousands, or tens of thousands, but there were just so many whoops."
And perhaps, just perhaps, that's why you are smiling.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #355
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Nice work! Finishing that race solo is a real accomplishment. Great job!

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #356
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 459
More impressive as you fill in the details...

Quote:
but I've done my research and put the stake in the ground for 2011.

I still find myself shaking my head at how well you planned and executed this effort. Looking forward to aftermath comments.
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #357
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew View Post
I still find myself shaking my head at how well you planned and executed this effort. Looking forward to aftermath comments.
I'm using his execution as a guide for my prep and training.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #358
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Congrats Phil. Heck of a day of riding.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #359
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

The party is over...

We went back to the hotel -- just a block away -- and I took a little breath while taking it all in. There was lots of commotion going on all around and I was enjoying the buzz. I was tired for sure, but I wasn't spent. I expected to be just destroyed coming across that finish line...the proverbial tongue dragging on the ground, but I wasn't. I think the unknown about the actual juice required to finish the race had me riding pretty conservatively. A look at the back tire shows that regardless of the amount of sand, I wasn't twisting the throttle very hard. My tire looked like that at the 300 mile mark at V2R.

I sat on the curb and called my wife. She was surprised to hear from me and surprised at how well I sounded. She'd stopped watching the SPOT when it stopped transmitting and had taken the kids out for some lunch. Probably a good plan.

I started pulling off my gear and got some help with the from the crew.

Once the layers came off we got a nice view of the needles stuck in my arm. Those things are nasty and after digging at least a couple of dozen of
them out with pliers I found only about 1/4 of them are sticking out. The rest is buried in the muscle...ouch! Just yesterday I was digging out a left-over piece of cactus in my right arm.

With the help of the crew we got everything packed back into the van and immediately went out for burgers. I was dying of hunger. I polished that beef down with little pause.

Back at the room I slept for a couple of hours and woke up in time to watch more trucks and buggies coming back in and then grab a dinner with the crew. Ahh more good food.

I was back asleep by 9:30 or so and slept great. By 6 the next morning I was up looking for coffee. After finding some brew I enjoyed the calm of the early morning and waited a bit for the rest of the crew to wake. We went and took a look at the official results.

In the end it looked like I finished 3rd out of 6 solo finishers (18 started) and first solo (7th actual place) in Sportsman over 250cc. Not too bad for my first time south of the border on a bike.

We bummed around a bit in the morning and then made it over to the awards presentation. Sal specially recognized the solo finishers and gave us all a chance to speak to the crowd. Flashbulbs and Tecate girls made me feel like a rock star. I truly was enjoying the moment. That was the one time I really wished my family could've been there.

The solo guys...notice the guy with the injured foot. He finished first solo and busted up his foot at mile 100. Wow.

We blew out of Ensenada and tried to sneak across the border at Tecate. No chance.

A huge line meant we had time to kill so Frog and Dumbgirl entertained everyone by distributing Alta Ski resort skickers. Frog climbed every pole and sign on the border and slapped on a sticker. Look for them when you are leaving through Tecate.

Dumbgirl made friends with the Federales and had everyone begging her for more 'star' stickers.

We made it home the next day with no issues and no fanfare or ticker tape parade. My family was waiting at the front door and my kids wanted to see the trophy (Sal had no trophies for us yet but promised to send them in the future - nothing has arrived as of yet).

I blew everything out of the van and packed it away. The party was over, but the adventure is just beginning.

I sincerely want to thank everyone that followed along with me this past year+. It's been amazing and I'm still reflecting on what it's done for me personally. I've learned a lot about myself and my ability to accomplish something important to me outside of school, work or family. I'm not sure what's next, but I'm sure something is...

Thanks of course to the people that supported me and the YWCA. I raised some $$ and brought some awareness to them locally. Thanks also to Konflict Motorsports, Highway Dirt Bikes, Sidi, MSR, Local Hero MX graphics, Wolfsnout and Warp 9. These sponsors helped me achieve a dream.

My family gets kudos for their support including my wife who loves me despite my addiction.

Lastly, thanks to my crews both at V2R and Baja. Kevin, Brandon, Matt, Michele, Jeremy, and Jim. I absolutely could not have done it without you. You guys were all superb and I would roll with you in a heartbeat. I hope I can return your support one day.

Let the next adventure begin.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #360
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Eh?

..holy shit!!

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote