Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #76
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Usually hand problems come from vibration or the wrong bar position. You can try filling the bars up with sand or fastway makes some vibration reducers you stick in your bars. I would also try moving the bars and looking at the sweep of them.

Also, i found that after a month of riding hard i got burnt out right before v2r. Relax and go ride to have fun, not train. From what ive seen you are more then reeady.

frog screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 09:55 PM
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #77
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 884
Thanks guys

I've never tried those foam grips but I'll give them a try. I don't think my problem comes from gripping too hard, especially since my left hand has no issues. Somehow the nerves in that palm are getting pinched a bit. I've tried bar positions but haven't tried changing the bend. I'm going to try grips first and see if that helps and go from there.

Yesterday was just an off day I think. I certainly was happy to be on the bike like always, but I think the hand situation was just distracting me and like the normal flucuation of performance (I've had plenty of 'off' days playing basketball too) things weren't flowing as usual.

Thanks for the advice.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #78
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
In my recent training, I've been suffering from a similar affliction. I too have my right pointer finger and middle finger go numb while riding hard. This situation started when I began wearing my new pressure suit and I've noticed that the sleeves are somewhat tight on my forearms. This indicates to me that it's nothing more than a slightly different version of the arm pump that I've been struggling with for years. I found that pressing my hand against the throttle (to maintain my throttle position) and opening my fingers during a relatively smooth section of my training loop will cause the feeling to return, at least for a while.

The long term fix is commonly considered to be, by the magazine guys, simply improving your cardiovascular conditioning. The problem is that some people suffer from this more than others for no apparent reason. There was even a surgery developed years ago that "released" the muscles in the forearm from the capsule that constrains them. Several of the top motocrossers had this procedure done and it was rumored to help.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #79
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

Its magic. Sounds crazy but its amazing stuff and does what it claims.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #80
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Usually hand problems come from vibration or the wrong bar position. You can try filling the bars up with sand or fastway makes some vibration reducers you stick in your bars. I would also try moving the bars and looking at the sweep of them.
Once when I was miserable from handlebar vibration on a trip I stopped by a Walmart and bought some bbs, having read that they help reduce vibrations. I bought a bunch of them, but quickly found out those bars filled up much quicker than I imagined. I filled them 80% full and taped quarters on the ends of the bars to hold them in, until I was back home and could do a better job. I don't know how bbs compare to barsnake, sand or other materials, but I was shocked at the difference it made.

Back at home I eventually got around to re-doing the bbs (when I was putting on brush guards). I completely filled up the bars with bbs but found that it didn't work as well so I went back down to 80% full.

I put some foam covers on my handlebars a while later. I wasn't complaining about vibrations anymore, but I have big hands and they get fatigued quickly on small grips when I am wrestling my heavy bike through rough terrain.

The foam covers wrap around my grips and simply sticks to itself with velcro. I was nervous that it would slip since nothing is adhering it to the actual grips but I decided to give it a try. (I haven't raced with them, but I'm a big fat guy wrestling with a heavy KLR in very rough terrain, so if those foam grips would slip or fail you'd think I'd be the one to pull them off.)

Amazingly they never slipped at all. It's hard to get the other guys in my riding group to consider trying them because they have the same concern, but when I ride with them I have complete confidence.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #81
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

A new day...

Thanks again for the replies. Today was a new day and I set out to make some progress on the hand issue. I'm thinking that just a different set of grips should be able to make enough of an improvement to make things passable.

Another early morning ride west. The flash turned off on the camera makes it look brighter than it really was. A little further west are the Bonnevile Salt Flats. Racing starts there in just a few more weeks.

Unloading the bike just after dawn. The new chase vehicle works really well though my neighbors aren't too fond of the big white van.

My major ghetto test on the throttle side. About 5 miles into the whoops I peeled off the outside 40% of the foam so I could grab the grip with the little fingers. The foam and tape was a bit too slippery for the perfect solution, but the numbness was greatly reduced. I'm going to try next with just a little extra padding in the palm of my glove. It was so fat I felt like I should be riding a Harley!

My rear tire is almost totally bald so it's time for the fresh tires and Mousse on this set of wheels.

I drew 4th out of 11 Exp IM for the start. It won't be long now. I'm looking forward to getting to the starting line. Hopefully I'll run into a few other ADVr's in Vegas and potentially along the way.

pilo screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 09:11 AM
Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #82
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Is there anyone who might be willing to post some pictures and updates during Thur, Fri and maybe a few on sat during the V2R race? I can easily send pictures and some text via my phone, but it's not so easy to post them into a thread (at least I haven't figured out an easy way). I was hoping someone might be able to let me fire some emails with pictures to their private address and then they could dump them on here somewhat real time.

I've been rowing a lot on the rowing machine. Having real motorcycle handlebars on there instead of the standard narrow grip makes a big difference in how my back feels sore after the session. If definitely feels more like a post hard ride sore with the wider bars.

I also got the wheels set up with the Bib Mousse's this weekend. I built a changing stand with allthread and some concrete I had lying around and with the help of my son we had both wheels done (old off, lubed mousse in, new on, wheels trued and spokes torqued in less than an hour). He did however, ask why I was sweating so much as we were trying to get the rear tire all of the way back on. I told him the sweats helps lube the bead and helps the last bit slide over the rim. He didn't buy it for a second, but still kept a firm grip on the third tire iron. He's still a little guy, but I couldn't have gotten the job done as easily without him.

My homejob stand

One tire set ready to go for Vegas

I'm doing some final testing this week with a minor teardown on the bike next weekend to get the final build ready by next Sunday or so.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #83
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Getting closer...

Vegas is getting closer now. I spent some time out at night this past week verify all was good with my lighting situation. That's the Great Salt Lake in the picture below if anyone is curious.

The new wiring and switches for my lights and starter/kill are working well. The HID works nicely and I have a mountable unit for my helmet as well.

The bike was coming together tonight until I found I have a broken right footpeg from a 1st gear rock I hit a few weeks back. I'll need to find a solution in the next couple of days or just stick an old stocker back on there for the race. More to come over the next few days.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #84
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Thanks for the support

ADVrider is a bit of a odd place to post about long ride or race aspirations. The crew that represents the essence of ADVrider are at the core supportive, but making this thread is akin to a freshman congressman telling stories of his budget accomplishments back from hometown mayoral days or a c-list actor chatting with Robert Deniro about his inspiration while filming "Attack of the Bionic Fingernail Snatchers." ADVrider has riders who have done everything on two wheels two or three times over, so a thread about a guy who's doing a few races is not the sexiest destination on this site. To me this has been my life for almost a year and if all goes as planned will keep going through to Baja in the fall. It may be someone else's side project, but it's my Big Show, and since my chances for a podium finish are hard to predict, I'd like to take some time now before Vegas to send out a shout to the people and companies who have supported me in the run up to V2R.

First, thanks to the YWCA in Salt Lake for letting me associate with their group. They are a very positive organization and contribute a lot of goodwill and support to the local community. Also thanks to the people who have made donations to the YWCA in consideration of this effort. A number of ADVr's have donated as well as others. Thanks everyone.

Warp 9 - Kevin at Warp 9 has been great with helping with wheels and pegs. They are a great company local to Utah.

LocalHeroMX - Jon prints MX shirts and decals has been my single source for decals and printed goods. His service is amazing, his prices can't be beat and I'm always happy to support a local business in Utah. He's even helped my mount the backgrounds on more than one occasion. Thanks Jon.

Konflict Motorsports - Alex was a big help getting the suspension dialed on the 450x and he also worked magic on the stiction and setup I had on the 950 Adv forks.

Wolfsnout - Tim has a product that I'll be using at V2R. Since I'm pretty good at sucking dust, he choose the perfect person to sponsor with his product.

Brandon - On the left is my Utah partner in crime. Always there to lend a hand, and in this case listen to my many hours of preparation talk. He's also, along with another good friend of my, Kevin, giving up their time to chase me at V2R. Thanks

Chris - On the right is the guy who helped my hatch this plan, circa 1993 or so. We have a ton of motorcycle adventures together and Chris listens non-judgmentally to all of my harebrained ideas and casually ignores the worst of them.

Both Brandon and Chris, this is the closest I could get to having you guys come along. Keep a good look out for me down there. Point me away from the big rocks please.

Last a big thanks to my family. Without their support and encouragement this would not be happening. Thanks for putting up with my and my craziness. I love you guys.

Thanks to the ADVrider community as well. This really is a unique and positive online community. See you in Vegas.

Hey, Ho, Let's Go!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #85
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 459
ADV support

Phil,
Great job on getting yourself prepped and ready for another checkmark on your list of accomplishments. One quick thought on your comments about your thread and racing. It is threads like this that often inspire others to step out and test the waters. Not for the podium finish (although we all would like to stand on one eventually), but for the feeling of accomplishment after setting goals. I personally would never have ventured into entering races if it weren't for reading these types of threads and thinking, "I can try that".
Whether it is Ned chasing Dakar, eatpasta taking on D-37 events, OC taking the Honda 350 to the Mexican 1000 or you taking on V2R (then Baja), there are many riders out there reading and learning. I appreciate the time you take to document your journey. Besides the photos on your bike, you have an extended group of friends supporting and watching.

Good luck, ride safe and have fun!!

Doug
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #86
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
ur bike looks sweet!

good luck!
2007 KTM 450exc - - my wild monkey
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #87
WhorehayTheBarbarian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew View Post
Phil,
Great job on getting yourself prepped and ready for another checkmark on your list of accomplishments. One quick thought on your comments about your thread and racing. It is threads like this that often inspire others to step out and test the waters. Not for the podium finish (although we all would like to stand on one eventually), but for the feeling of accomplishment after setting goals. I personally would never have ventured into entering races if it weren't for reading these types of threads and thinking, "I can try that".
Whether it is Ned chasing Dakar, eatpasta taking on D-37 events, OC taking the Honda 350 to the Mexican 1000 or you taking on V2R (then Baja), there are many riders out there reading and learning. I appreciate the time you take to document your journey. Besides the photos on your bike, you have an extended group of friends supporting and watching.

Good luck, ride safe and have fun!!

Doug

X2!!!!! Well put.

Racing is racing no matter what place you are in or where/ when the race is. There is a good chance you will have a lot more fun and remember this race more than most of the guys who race pro. Often times racing becomes a job for them and unless they can fulfill their expectations they don't even enjoy it.

Have fun with it DuDe!!! never know when life can change and you may not get another chance like this!
WhorehayTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #88
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
pilo

all the best pilo. hows the numbness? the nerves cant get pinched in the arm only the spine. i used to have a tingling sensation constantly in my right hand.doc advised me to try pilates/ yoga/stretch the spine. downloaded a few moves from the net and hey presto its been gone.i forget to do them and sometimes comesback but start strecting and it goes away for long peroids of time-months.

http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatese...structions.htm

all the best mate. cheers
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #89
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Thanks Everyone

The support is great and I definitely feel the good vibes coming my way. I'm looking forward to this event and am certainly as ready as I can be considering balancing work, family and everything else. I'm in the best shape of my life without any doubt. That certainly feels good. I've done tons of events in the past but never had something big enough to focus on to really make myself prepare. This is going to be a ton of fun for sure.

The hand is better but not perfect. I've changed grips and have continued my daily stretching including some stuff for the wrists. It may be a little touch and go but I can finish for sure, it's just how well I can hold on to maintain a tasty pace.

I just came across something a bit old school, and I thought it might be fun to share it out. This is me circa 1997 at the Dirt Rider 24 Hour Shootout. Oh yeah, that's me in the steaming pile at the bottom of the page too.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #90
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhorehayTheBarbarian View Post
X2!!!!! Well put.

Racing is racing no matter what place you are in or where/ when the race is. There is a good chance you will have a lot more fun and remember this race more than most of the guys who race pro. Often times racing becomes a job for them and unless they can fulfill their expectations they don't even enjoy it.

Have fun with it DuDe!!! never know when life can change and you may not get another chance like this!
I'll 3rd that motion.

You've got plenty of positive mental energy being directed your way. Enjoy the ride.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote