User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,055
Jerseybiker gets a Ural

This is really a thread for me, sort of a stream of consciousness type thing. Maybe it will interest others, maybe not. Either way is fine.

I'm 60 years old and have ridden motorcycles most of my life. I haven't put a ton of miles on, I'm mostly a casual rider. For the last 10 years or so most of my riding has been on scooters though I have had a couple of bikes as well. I put the tow PAC set up on a couple of scooters sort of a "fake trike". I've never had a sidecar and, in fact, never even driven a sidecar. Still, for years and years I've lusted after a Ural. I'm in good health but one never knows what the future will bring. I finally decided that I should buy a Ural before I get any older.

It arrives in a few hours. I am a little apprehensive, a little nervous. I bought a brand new bike that I had never tried. Will I like riding it? Will I be able to handle it? Will I do something stupid and flip the sidecar over my head? These and many other questions keep going through my brain.

From reading other posts on AdV and other forums, I know there are many others out there like me. Folks who have lusted after having a sidecar rig but never done it. So for all of us I will try and record my feelings and adventures as I try out something new.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
offroad
Mogger

Oddometer: 123
You'll Do FIne

At first the Ural will feel weird because of the inertia/momentum effects of pulling a sidecar along side the bike. With some ride time you will be able to adjust for those effects automatically and in an unconscious and comfortable way.

You may, as I did, go from thinking you "might have made a big mistake" to thinking, "Wow, this is even more fun than I thought it would be", and eventually land at, "Maybe I'll sell my other rides cause I'm only interested in sidecars now."

Whatever the outcome, welcome to the ward of the asylum reserved for sidecar mania.

Others will recommend sidecar training and they are correct. Find the evergreen council listings of STEP training near you. The fact that you are acknowledging the possibility of a right hand turn mishap drastically reduces your chance of having such. Just keep that caution in mind as you gain experience.

Best wishes for many happy safe miles, Jim
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 422
takes about a week then it feels right No more food down at lights or stops wider that if feels and does not stop on a dime needs two. Drives like tank T38 and rides like an sports car. Go slow until you find a straight spot the open it up and enjoy.
seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
i was 65 when PATIENCE came home with me

i'd been lusting for a Ural for a while, when she knocked on my door

once i got her sorted out(the PO's hadn't done very well by her), she performed beautifully

Urals are not high speed "Iron Butt" machines, they prefer a slower pace, in more scenic places

there will be a period of adjustment...SO WHAT!

take your time and she'll provide you w/ MANY MILES(Km's) OF SMILES

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

& good luck w/ your new baby
Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,011
Old at 60? your just a kid You'll like the Ural. Sidecars are a whole new ball game. Congrats on your purchase!
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,949
First and fore-most you need a good supply of this:

You can start off with the basic foil hat liner (note the euphoric expression common to new Ural owners):

Or once you become more experienced and have stepped up your game on being an expert on all things Ural, you can up grade to this:

Then you can make the swap from using the foil hat for protection against all thoughts against Urals, to a hat that allows better reception of important messages from fellow Uralistias. This style seems to work well (note: accessorizing with scrub brushes is optional):

Then finally this guy has it dialed in and appears to be close to Uralista Foilhead Nirvana:

Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,055

Thanks for the welcome from y'all! I like the foil hats!

So, she made it here! Jon and David Heindl delivered it, gave me the overview and a quick ride to start me off. Then, I was on my own.

My wife, who has always sworn she would never ride in the sidecar if I bought one, adamantly refused to get in (Smart gal) if for no other reason than I'd never driven a hack before. After a bit I got her to agree to be ballast (what woman could resist that) for a trip around the neighborhood. 5 min later she was telling me to ride to my son's place about 5 miles away! Later I saw here post on Facebook saying how much fun it was to ride in the sidecar!

So, how was it? Well, the first time on it seems big and noisy. Very, very noisy. There are lots of levers and metal tubes all over. You sit up high in the seat. It feels like you are operating a big tractor. Also, it takes a lot of effort. My scooters and motorcycles always seemed to go where I wanted with little effort. The Ural requires some pulling and pushing to get it to corner. As I rode it the effort seemed less and less but at first it seemed like a lot.

I headed out to put some KMs on. First stop was to gas up where I was immediately approached by a guy who wanted to know all about it! Then on the road about 5 miles to the Forest Service roads in Pisgah National Forest. Here's a couple of pics.

The rig handled great on the FS roads - I put about 30Km on in the forest. The road went up and under the Blue Ridge Parkway and down the other side.
This bike was made for that kind of riding and it was a ton of fun. I met a couple of guys on dual sports and they kept raving about the Ural. While we were chatting a truck came down the service road and stopped. The driver asked if I was on a Ural and when I said yes he asked if he could take my photo on it. Next thing the dual sport guys had the phones out and were taking pics too. After a few minutes we all said good bye and headed our ways.

Once I was off the FS roads I was feeling pretty good about how fast I'd caught on to driving a sidecar rig. Heading down a country asphalt road I took a long sweeper to the left at about 40 mph and then as the road turned to sweep to the right, I went straight! I'm not sure what happened but, for the life of me, I could not turn the rig to follow the road and I managed to stop just before leaving the road on the opposite side. Had a car been coming I would have driven right into it.

I think my fear of "flying the sidecar" had just left me unable to pull the bars right. The rest of the ride home I was very careful on any right hand curves and it was uneventful.

In total I put about 60Km on today - 1/2 in traffic, 1/2 on forest roads.

My overall impression - it's a blast to ride! I need to work on remembering this is new to me and not get cocky and hurt myself. I need to get some ear plugs.
I don't see any long distance riding on this. It seems suited to lazy rides in the country. Maybe it will be ok on the highway, I'll have to see. Also, "flying the sidecar" isn't as easy to do as I feared. I got it off the ground a few times while trying to see what that would be like but I had to work at it. Driving around town at a modest pace I don't think it would happen.

I'm really looking forward to getting more time in on this bike.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
SWEET RIDE jersey biker. the terra cotta is good looking.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,744
Foilheads

Strong your contempt is starting to look like mine concerning a certain manufacturer, your my role model for well behaved retired guys lighten up a little DB
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
well...

it didn't take long for UDF to kick in

that'z URAL DELAY FACTOR

anytyme you slow down or stop, someone is very likely to DELAY your trip

plan extra tyme

as for going straight, could you have possibly left her in 2wd?

they HATE to turn, in 2wd

glad you're having fun
Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,123
Congrats, I bought my first hack last week. Got it from an inmate in Chicago, will be here in FL Thanksgiving day. I've never even sat on a hack, let alone a Ural. So I'll be following right behind you on the learning curve. I spend a lot of time in the Sylva / Whittier area, maybe well bump into each other some day (figuratively speaking LOL)!

Enjoy yours!

PMR
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Strong your contempt is starting to look like mine concerning a certain manufacturer, your my role model for well behaved retired guys lighten up a little DB
No contempt, I'll let you take the lead on that one. I'm just trying to have fun and keep all of this interweb nonsense light hearted. No one should take anything I post seriously. However, my pics of the Ural owners dressed in foil does seem appropriate....right?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Strong Bad
n00balicious

All fun aside, congrats on the new rig Jerseybiker, you guys will have a lot of fun with it.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,097
JerseyBiker,
Thanks for the photos of the 2015 cT in action.
Great looking rig. Hope to see you about on it next spring.
Don't pay any attention to Strong Bad, he is better enjoyed on your ignore list.
His Ural was set up so bad he was exhausted after a 100 mile ride.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,405
You will get used to it and love it. Its just so much fun and you don't have to put your feet down at stops. I rode a side car rig back in the day, 1971 Harley with a all original 1957 side car. Its the only bike I really regret selling.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote