Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
I'd save a bundle, and get the 106.....

More power, better handling, and more comfortable right out of the box...

Too bad Victories look half crazy...
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #17
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Too bad Victories look half crazy...

Oh Hell, I've been away a spell, and completely forgot where I was. My apologies to the OP, and anyone else I might have offended....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #18
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
You can't forget that with the bigger air-cooled motors, you're also adding more heat. That's why many say the 103, which runs hotter then the '96, is overall a better package then the 110's that power the HD's CVO's.

And yes, it's true Victory's are a bit different running, and sounding then HD's, as well as looking different. But Vic's 106 will pull the big CVO's, while running cooler with their air/oil cooled motors. I like them because I don't see them on every block. But either one is a good choice.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #19
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young View Post
When you consider resale value (i.e. cost of ownership), it probably doesn't cost much, if any, more to get the 103. Bueller's option is the best for power, but probably not for resale.

My 2 cents.

g-
Does anything have resale value anymore? That used to be a sure bet years ago and Harleys still seem to fare better than others, but that's no longer saying much.

Regardless I've always had a tendency to set up a bike the way I want it, resale value be damned.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
I just thought if he wanted an American bike that already has a bigger motor, better handling, more comfort in stock form, at a better price, looking at the 106 might be an option.

If he'd rather have a Harley for whatever reasons then more power to him...literally....
No argument there - I've just found that people shopping Harley's are shopping for that particular feel (if not for the name or whatever) - I personally just can't quite stand the feel of an OHC big-twin, so I'm a Hog/Star guy all the way
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 90
The 96 will do fine. Use the extra cash on a Baker reverse. Far more practical.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
The 96 will do fine. Use the extra cash on a Baker reverse. Far more practical.

How much would the average guy use reverse on a Road King?? The Road King Classic package looks pretty tempting. 103 motor, ABS, security, cruise control and upgraded bling and luggage. hmmmm...Especially to a Canadian when our dollar is at par or better and US new bike MSRPs are $3000 cheaper than Canadian.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
RN_Rider
...afraid of gravel

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
How much would the average guy use reverse on a Road King?? The Road King Classic package looks pretty tempting. 103 motor, ABS, security, cruise control and upgraded bling and luggage. hmmmm...Especially to a Canadian when our dollar is at par or better and US new bike MSRPs are $3000 cheaper than Canadian.
As long as you are ok with having no warranty.
RN_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Rider View Post
As long as you are ok with having no warranty.
Is that a for sure no warranty? I talked to a gal last year that bought a new wideglide (??) in the US and all she said all that she had to do was modify to get to Canadian spec and she had warranty. I know that a lot of people have bought HD out of the states, I have never heard about a warranty issue.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
I own a 96 and the 110. If you tune them right they are a joy to own. I think you'll be happy either way but I think the 103 comes with auto compression release standard so that would seal the deal for me.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #26
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
How much would the average guy use reverse on a Road King??

Ask the Gold Wing and BMW K-LT owners how often they use a reverse. The Road King wet weight is over 800 pounds. HD forums have had polls in the past about how many would want a reverse and the response from the FL owners was high enough to make worthwhile a factory option. When? Ask HD.

As for motor options, HD does offer warranty for their mods when installed by dealers. But for the same money there are several high performance shops around the USA that can port the heads of a 96, combine a proper exhaust, cam and throttle body to make a 96 faster than a 103 and run with far less heat on the rider which is a huge bitch of owners of 103 mills.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #27
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I rode a friend's new Roadglide yesterday with the 120R engine. No warranty, but it rocked.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #28
RN_Rider
...afraid of gravel

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Is that a for sure no warranty? I talked to a gal last year that bought a new wideglide (??) in the US and all she said all that she had to do was modify to get to Canadian spec and she had warranty. I know that a lot of people have bought HD out of the states, I have never heard about a warranty issue.
Got an email a couple months ago through the local Harley shop (on behalf of Deeley Harley Canada) that said any bikes purchased out of country would have to be "made to meet Transport Canada regulations" before the warranty is valid. This includes replacing the speedometer with a metric one and some other piddly crap, all to the tune of about $3000 including labour (at least locally). So it eats up your good deal pretty quick.

The TC stuff is a bunch of BS too, they have no such rules, it's just HD grabbing more cash.
RN_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Rider View Post
Got an email a couple months ago through the local Harley shop (on behalf of Deeley Harley Canada) that said any bikes purchased out of country would have to be "made to meet Transport Canada regulations" before the warranty is valid. This includes replacing the speedometer with a metric one and some other piddly crap, all to the tune of about $3000 including labour (at least locally). So it eats up your good deal pretty quick.

The TC stuff is a bunch of BS too, they have no such rules, it's just HD grabbing more cash.

hmm...might have to look into this a little bit more. Thanks.
I have a big heavy softail, I have never once wanted reverse. But I supposse some will.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I worked in the biz for nearly a decade. I've owned several of 'em. My thoughts are the 96 does the job just fine. But if you must have more power than a stock 96 save your pennies and do a big bore kit with cams at the same time. Yes, you'll spend more money than the 103 costs from the factory, but you'll get a hell of a lot more performance than that stock 103 can produce. In fact the best bang for the buck is the stage III kit, which makes about 100 hp and 105 ft lbs of torque. The kit costs $1500 retail, and comes with a supertuner and high flow air cleaner. The only extra you'll need is a set of slip on mufflers or a full exhaust system if you so desire. This time of year you'll find dealers offering specials, so you could probably get the whole thing done for less than 2 grand plus the exhaust of your choice.
Any idea what long term reliability is with this setup?
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote