ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,585
950 SE EFI conversion

After getting through one ADV 950 to EFI conversion then a 950 SE to 990 SE EFI conversion I have another SE 950 EFI conversion project that has been going on for longer than expected.

This SE conversion is very similar to the last with a few minor alterations. Through some trial/error and a pump failure on the first SE build I am using the Walbro GSL414 rather than the GSL393, which is ~55lph@51psi rather than ~110lph@51psi. Both pumps are exactly the same external dimensions (unfortunately), so fitting this pump to a good location is still a bit of a challenge, especially if running a 80micron filter prior to the pump.

Some of the other changes include running 07 SD cams, ECU and throttle bodies. The ECU 'tone' wheel that is on the end of the right side of the crankshaft is also swapped out for a unit from a 990.

The intake manifolds from a 990 fit the OD of the head manifolds, however the ID is smaller on the 950 port. I mark this with a scribe, wipe some grease on the lower portion of the port and stuff a rag into the port to then 'roto file' the ports to match the now larger (48mm) 990 throttle bodies. I also make a heat shield part that spans across the intake ports similar to the OEM lower section of the airbox to both mount the fine (8micron) filter. I use a FPR from a Audi Turbo (EuroSpec 3.5 bar) and a FPR billet body from 034 motosports (or something like that). This then allows me to run a almost full flow path from pump and just prior to the injectors to ensure that the fuel is as cool and vapor/air free as possible.

The ECU is from a 07 SD running a customized tune that ignores all of the emissions controls and the O2 sensors. This also allows for a slightly higher max RPM limiter (10+K).... not that the SE really needs it, but its there.. :).

I am almost ready to go for 'first start try' as soon as I get a couple things mounted and fluids in it, that will be happening probably tomorrow evening.

I have a hard limit on getting this done by the end of this coming weekend so I am crossing my fingers that it all comes together! If not, its going to be some really late nights to get it all 100%!!!

Here is a video of it as it is presently. Should be making 'putt putt' noises either tonight or tomorrow!

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

It runs!

OK, so I couldn't go into the house without giving it a go..... so I went out and put the oil in it and set the camera up again.... SUCCESS! IT RUNS Despite a bit of a odd 'main switch on, bar switch off, system cycle', it cleared its little ECU head and all is good!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,591
Luv ya work mate. Enjoy the vids.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,335
Awsome
Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 AM   #5
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,793
Ken.

Excellent work again. What pressure are you regulating the pump to? I may have an alternative source of pump reg?
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Ken.

Excellent work again. What pressure are you regulating the pump to? I may have an alternative source of pump reg?
3.5 bar or 51PSI (standard KTM OEM pressure)
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Same as RC8. 3.5 bar. Any problems running the GSL393?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Technically the GSL393 should work just fine. It moves way more fuel than the engine needs at peak consumption which should not be a problem if the FPR is keeping up with cycling the fuel back into the tank.... HOWEVER, what does happen is because it is moving so much fuel AND I have been returning the fuel at the top of the tank without a 'dip tube', there is a fair amount of spray at the point of the quick disconnect fitting inside the tank, in this configuration is just below the fill cap on the PowerCell tanks, so if the vent hose is on the cap or near by there is a fair amount of vapor and liquid fuel which tends to make the vent 'wet' vapor more so than 'dry' vapor..... The GSL414 is a ~50LPH@51PSI pump and technically should support ~150-175 HP, in this case is plenty. The GSL414 is harder to find, but I have been buying them from here: http://www.amazon.com/Walbro-GSL414-...eywords=gsl414
Old 04-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Interesting ´cause you are, from the top of my head, the only one speaking openly regarding the choise of your external pump. And that is for the EFI i´m speaking of. I´m well aware of the Carbs.

There are, in my head, only advantages to use an external. You might have covered it. The ease of getting it serviced or reparing it. Even the filter is easy to get to.

Thanks for the insight
Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

The FPR housing that I am using is from here: http://store.034motorsport.com/fuel-...-aluminum.html

Again, significant overkill for this application. I have used the Cannondale 440 FPR housing previously, however have not found a alternate source or the OEM that will allow me to drop in the EuroSpec 3.5bar FPR module. I bought the FPR from here: http://store.blackforestindustries.c...uprre35ba.html

The Cannondale housing is occasionally available on eBay, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Cannibal-...-/251788545260) but... the cost of a used part that may or may not be messed up in my opinion should be ~$20-25 or so... If I can find a similar billet part that is lower cost that the Black Forest part I would give that a try.

As far as the external pump choices that are out there and who is talking, its unfortunate that others are not sharing if they have a external pump that is working AND is the smaller form factor similar to the in-tank that the bikes are OEM'd with. I have looked, and I have not been able to find a external in-line pump that is smaller. I also have not found a vendor/manufacturer that I trust that makes anything similar, so GSL414 is it for now.....
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Be interesting to see how the 950 cams handle FI.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Be interesting to see how the 950 cams handle FI.
Might want to go read the 1st post.

H2W.... You need a lab coat and a chalkboard when you do the Vids, your like a mad scientist...
Thanks for taking the time to post for us.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Might want to go read the 1st post.

H2W.... You need a lab coat and a chalkboard when you do the Vids, your like a mad scientist...
Thanks for taking the time to post for us.

I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you ...

I am sure that the 950 SE/ADV/SM cams would do OK with EFI, but I went with 07 SD cams... They are 'hotter' than the other 950/990 cams fit to the SE/ADV/SM except for the 2011+ ADV where they are the same.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

I started it up after putting coolant and topping of with ~.8L of oil then let it run til it was warm... then discovered a few minor things that needed to be snugged up. All good now.

I was wondering when I would find a use for these two tanks I had set in the 'that has a use, just don't know what it is yet... pile'. I am a SUPER happy Dr. Evil H2W with my Evil skills building the test fuel tank! It allows me to run the beast without the main tank on and still get to everything. I am going to strap a pump/filter assembly onto the side of it to enable this for the 'normal' 990/1190/1290 where the pump is still in the tank. Also will be able to feed a carb'd bike from one of the QD taps. Nice.

First run was OK, but didn't like small throttle input. Would stumble pop and fart... WACK the throttle and WHAMPA! (its looooudd) it's 'happy'... so into the Evil tuning library to dig through the Bandolier of MAPs to throw at this beast to get a decent running baseline to work from.... Iteration 4 hit the jack pot!

I still need to wrap up a few minor things and should be road testing in the next couple days.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 75,197

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote