Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #181
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
I just got off the horn with mcma111. I'm going to take off the head and do a leak test on the valves. Will be a good chance to check all those valves out and re-do the cam timing again.
I have a leak-down tester if you need to borrow. Pretty sure I have a decent set of metric spark plug adapters also. LMK.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #182
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I have a leak-down tester if you need to borrow. Pretty sure I have a decent set of metric spark plug adapters also. LMK.
Awesome CB! I can stop by after work today and pick those up if you are home. The plug is a 12mm. Thank you!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #183
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,565
Quote:
I can re-use the head gasket (just a bit more torque)
Just my not-professionally-trained opinion, but I would use the standard specified torque. That way you get no extra strain, and no excessive squish.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #184
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Another 24 hours has flipped by and I have pics from the last 24, and finally figured out why the XR will not start. Long live ADV! I could not have any of this project without the help from so many inmates on ADV

Let's back up and get some pics from the monster wrenching session last night with TourPros. We worked on the top end from about 7pm to 1:30am last night. I'm still working on only 4 hours of sleep

- got the engine to TDC and the cam's were pointed up - 180 degrees off - un-strapped cam gear and spun around the cam lobes down. Check

- Realized the cam chain was not on the drive gear but wedged in a inner grove on the spline- re-set via taking the Right cover off and and manually got the cam on the drive gear spline - now back on the drive gear.

I drove out to TourPros Place out in Hood River, OR last night. About 1.5 hours from our place in N. Portland.

His XR600 big bore

The XL650

TourPros on the wrench....got the XR into his killer small barn/shop with surround sound tunes, big screen TV, and good tools

Why won't this fucker start????

The valve cover is unstrapped to work on the getting the cam timing correct

TDC 180 off - Cam chain is on drive gear, cam lobes are up, cam chain tensioner is in, marks on cam gear line up on TDC - Set

A last flurry of WD40 down the spark plug after all the cam timing and chain corrections had been made and what should be the victory start up at TourPros last night It seemed that no fuel would enter the cylinder, but we had good spark. We only got some backfiring through the airbox which looked dangerous after a burst of blue flame through the airbox under TourPros ass Left to get back home at 1:30am and no successful start on the XR 4 hours of sleep

This morning about 8am, I relayed all the past nights progress to my co-worker Brian who is our Chemistry Analyst at Widmer Brewing. He used to be a paid Auto Mech, and is a good guy to talk to about wrenching. He's had a few auto projects under his wrench lately. I convinced him to come over tonight and see if we could diagnose what is wrong with my motor. Why will it not start?

Crazybrit got in touch with me this afternoon and had a leak down tester that I could borrow. I went over to his place after work and picked up the unit. Thank you CB! Your Harbor Freight Leak Down Tester was the definitive problem solver tonight. That device is pretty bad ass.

I threaded the leak down tester adapter to a hose line with a 12mm adapter which threaded into the spark plug hole and added 70psi of pressure to the Unit into the cylinder. The piston was set at TDC. Immediately we heard pressurized air coming back through the intake into the carb. We had a bad intake valve Wow, that unit can provide a fast and easy analysis of what's up with our valves. Thank you CB

That Leak Down Tester was bad ass!

Brian on the wrench - head removal

Next up - need to take the head apart and get the head off and back into Baisley's Performance who did the valve job. Luckily, they are just down the street from our home.

Once the head is off and we flip it around to look at the valves - it's obvious. One of the intake valves has hit the cylinder and is very bent

I'm bringing the head back to Baisley's tomorrow and still have the OE valves and will hopefully use one of those to sub in for the bad in intake valve.

Finally after a long week of work, travel, wrenching and just A+ help via ADV inmates, I finally have a clear vision of what needs to happen to get this XR running! Hopefully the weekend after this one. Thanks so much everyone!

Brauhausbier screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 08:51 AM
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #185
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Bent Valve

What do I win for calling the bent valve??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #186
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,853
Sucks that there's more work to do....but at least you now know what the problem was.

That has to be worth some sanity
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #187
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Damn it man!!!! Maybe lucky if you did not have stainless valves... It may have punched a hole in the piston instead of the bent valve....

May be a good time to install some Kibblewhite valves??

Best of luck getting it all sorted.

Steve, which door do you want to open for the prize???? (be careful, one door has a hungry mountain lion...)
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #188
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Sucks that there's more work to do....but at least you now know what the problem was.

That has to be worth some sanity
Thanks Blake!! You bet! It's so good to finally diagnose the problem.

And get more practice at doing the top end - again

I just dropped the head off at Baisley's which is luckily just down the street from our home. Great guys. They will work their magic and hopefully swap in the OE intake valve (all the valves are new KB's)

Hopefully I can get the head back this afternoon and do the top end again on Sat.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #189
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
What do I win for calling the bent valve??
I'll see what I can do Thanks for all the help mcma111
Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #190
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Damn it man!!!! Maybe lucky if you did not have stainless valves... It may have punched a hole in the piston instead of the bent valve....

May be a good time to install some Kibblewhite valves??

Best of luck getting it all sorted.
Thanks Wattner! The boys at Baisley's are the bomb! Just picked up my head. They swapped out the two KB intakes and back to the OE's. All cleaned up and pressure tested, and no charge.

The guides looked good and Dan Sr. at Baisley's gave me a warning that there is a possibility they could be damaged. But he said based on the design of the short guides, that was a low possibility. I'm gong to run with the head as is now and get the top end back together tomorrow. I need a night off the XR.

We have one of the crew from Kona Brewing here on a visit at Widmer, and we are taking him out tonight for some local sudsTGIF
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #191
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Wattner! The boys at Baisley's are the bomb! Just picked up my head. They swapped out the two KB intakes and back to the OE's. All cleaned up and pressure tested, and no charge.
This may be a dumb question but why not wait and get a fresh KB valve installed to replace the one that bent? You've gone to all this trouble and effort to get them installed to begin with. I'm not familiar with the XR but on the KTM RFSs the stainless valves wear the head a lot less than stockers and require much less frequent adjustment.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #192
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
This may be a dumb question but why not wait and get a fresh KB valve installed to replace the one that bent? You've gone to all this trouble and effort to get them installed to begin with. I'm not familiar with the XR but on the KTM RFSs the stainless valves wear the head a lot less than stockers and require much less frequent adjustment.
I'm just going to get this together so I ride! I don't want to wait another week for new valves. The OE's will be fine on the intakes. I can get it running this weekend
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #193
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:

I believe the XR valves are soft and don't wear the head. Mine were cupped badly at the last rebuild, but the head was perfect. They do require frequent adjustment, and you really really really don't want to know how easy it is.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #194
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
and you really really really don't want to know how easy it is.
I'm guessing not KTM "easy"
Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #195
canyncarvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Once the head is off and we flip it around to look at the valves - it's obvious. One of the intake valves has hit the cylinder and is very bent
..just following along...but that was the piston it ran into I presume?

Valves can run into cylinders, but that is usually part of stuffing oversized valves in a head.

If you didn't know this engine was an interference design, you do now!

Good to hear you're back on track.
canyncarvr is offline   Reply With Quote