User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #226
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
FCR Carb

It's my guess that motorcyclecarbs.com is simply a re-seller of the Keihin FCR carb kit that they get from Sudco. Pretty sure that Sudco is the importer and anyone selling the kits is getting them from Sudco. Ya pay your money and ya take yer chances.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #227
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It's my guess that motorcyclecarbs.com is simply a re-seller of the Keihin FCR carb kit that they get from Sudco. Pretty sure that Sudco is the importer and anyone selling the kits is getting them from Sudco. Ya pay your money and ya take yer chances.
I'm crossing my fingers
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #228
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

BINGO!!!! Perzactly... You may want to call Sudco direct and see if they have them in yet. I was looking for one several weeks ago and there were none to be had, so I went with a Mikuni from XR's Only (That gets them from Sudco, but Chris gave me a few $$$ off...)

Great carb the FCR41 is!

http://www.sudco.com/fcrapp.html

http://www.sudco.com/
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #229
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
BINGO!!!! Perzactly... You may want to call Sudco direct and see if they have them in yet. I was looking for one several weeks ago and there were none to be had, so I went with a Mikuni from XR's Only (That gets them from Sudco, but Chris gave me a few $$$ off...)

Great carb the FCR41 is!

http://www.sudco.com/fcrapp.html

http://www.sudco.com/
Thanks Wattner. My card has already been charged by Motorcyclecarbs.com, so I'm stuck waiting. Their policy states they have two weeks to ship you your items, but if longer they will send a "backordered" status update. I've sent an email to their customer serivce email address, and no reponse there either. Might be a long wait? At least the OE Keihin works and will be ok for now. TourPros has dibs on my Mikuni
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #230
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
Thanks Wattner. My card has already been charged by Motorcyclecarbs.com, so I'm stuck waiting. Their policy states they have two weeks to ship you your items, but if longer they will send a "backordered" status update. I've sent an email to their customer serivce email address, and no reponse there either. Might be a long wait? At least the OE Keihin works and will be ok for now. TourPros has dibs on my Mikuni
10/4... I had thrown out calling Sudco, because if they no gotty, you can arm yourself for the MCCarbs.com correspondence.

I am stoked the scooter turned out so nice. The FCR will really be sweet!!!!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #231
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:

I had to order a couple of parts for the BD Kit so I could use the Ricky Dual Output stator properly. The OE AC Regulator was long gone, so I picked up a new one from Ricky Stator. Nice folks on the phone and very helpful - only $19 and can handle 250wats.
...!
I thought that bike had a battery. Did you chuck it?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #232
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I thought that bike had a battery. Did you chuck it?
Still have the battery Ken. I'm configuring the Ricky dual output stator to supply juice the BD AC Rectifier (that charges the battery and runs front and rear blinkers (DC)), and the second output will go to the new AC regulator and run the headlight on AC.

I know you have your Ricky Output all going just to your harness or something like that on your 86'XR?

I have a BD DS kit on this XR, and the BD instuctions on how to hook up a dual stator are the way to go

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20We...00%20(old).pdf
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #233
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:

I know you have your Ricky Output all going just to your harness or something like that on your 86'XR?

Right now, I am just using one leg, and running it through the stock regulator and no battery.

I am planning on getting the Ricky regulator/rectifier, and a small battery, and hooking both legs together for one 200w circuit.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #234
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Right now, I am just using one leg, and running it through the stock regulator and no battery.

I am planning on getting the Ricky regulator/rectifier, and a small battery, and hooking both legs together for one 200w circuit.
Sounds good Ken. Ricky Stator has a good selection of parts to make your own DS kit and good tech on the phone. Don't be afraid to call them if you are scratchin' your head. I was suprised to talk to a female tech @ ricky who knew her stuff

TourPros had some cool LED Turnsignal Lights on his XR that he bought off Ebay for only $7/each. I'm going to replace the headlight with a LED bulb to help save energy for all the other gagets that are going in - heated grips, GPS, and a 12V plug for phone/ipod. Can't wait to get this finished this next week
Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #235
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

What a great weekend!

I took a well deserved day off on Mt Hood this Saturday and enjoyed some of our never ending winter on Mt Hood. I needed to jar my brain and think about something else besides my XR project.

My buddy Chris came up with me, and we just happened upon a line at Timberline on Mt Hood that was lining up for the snow cat which was taking skiers up the Palmer Glacier (8500 ft) from lower on the mountain. There is almost 30 feet of snow up at 8500 feet on Mt Hood right now (unreal) and my first snow cat ride ever was just the most gnarly, puckering ride up the mountain ever There was so much snow, that the snow cat kept getting stuck trying to move up the steep slope due to it just sinking in the 30+ feet of unpacked snow on the Palmer Glacier. I was in the very back seat at felt like we were in a ship at sea in heavy seas. It felt like the snowcat was going to flip backwards as the snow cat operator would pull in the clutch and let the snowcat start rolling downhill in neutral and then engage the clutch and try to gain traction. It was scary.

At the top of the Palmer Glacier Chair at 8500 feet. Notice how there is only of a couple of feet of chair cable above the snow line.

Back in PDX today, my good friend Brad I know through the Portland Brewing Community came over to help me build a dash board out of a sheet of 22 gauge aluminum. Brad used to work in the jewelry biz and had some amazing jewelry saws and some good soldering gear. I was aiming for something as cool as Blakebirds XR600 dash concept.

I had made a pattern for the dash out of cardboard last Thursday and put the finishing touches on the design early this morning.

Brad is tracing the pattern onto the sheet of aluminum

After scoring the pattern, Brad gets out his cool tin snips and goes to work

Making the bends in the metal

Brad used his amazing talent and cut out all the holes for the switches and plugs using a fine jewelers saw.

I have a new DSK Switch for my Classic BD kit ( the old one was toast), and we set it in the dash and began to re-solder the wires from the front connection harness to the DSK switch. There are a couple of connectors on the pins that needed to be jumped together. Luckily I had some solid core 12 guage wire (from work) and that worked well for the jumper.

One of the coolest things that came with this bike from the PO is the ICO Odometer/Speedometer. I have the switch for the Dual Star Heated Grips mounted, the ICO mounted, the 12V Marine Plug (for charging phone, etc), new DKS Power Switch (this shuts down the power to the lights. The rear tail light will remain lit with the motor off until you switch the DSK to off). The screws on the right are to hold the FZ-1 Fuse Block. I still need to finish wiring up all the dash accessories to the FZ-1. I really like the rally look of the dash and the triangle fold out front top of the shroud which I think looks very cool! All that came together in my card board cutout. Amazing.

It got to be after 8pm tonight and I needed a time out. It's been a long day on the bike, plus I ran around another hour picking up more parts at Lowes and the local auto supply (in-line fuse for the FZ-1 power supply), for all the dash wiring.

I've been racking my brain over re-wiring my DS kit with the Ricky Stator dual output, and coming up confused and not sure why I can't get it figured out. I finally realized my error. I was combing through on-line wiring schematics of the BD DS kits, and realized I have been looking at the Standard kit for weeks now. I have a classic BD DS kit which as a transistor called a FET.
I found the correct instructions for the classic BD kit and a dual output stator on the BD website, and I was back out in the garage. I pulled out the FET, and just had to move around a few pin connectors and OMG!!!! The DS Kit finally works!!!!!:freak y

The headlight works, the tail light works, the brake switch works, the turn signals work except for the left rear light. It's toast. The lens is busted, the lens screw is stripped and it doesn't work. I ordered a new pair off tail lights off BD tonight. I'll have an extra if one ever breaks.

I picked up a new AC regulator from Ricky..works like a charm

Huge strides today! I'm have all week after work to get the dash dialed in and get the heated grips installed, hand guards installed, grips installed, GPS mounted and tied in to the FZ-1. Finally on the last leg of finishing this project up!

I have plans to head out to camp/ride the Millican Plateau outside of Bend, OR the weekend of April 30th on the XR. I think I will have it done by then and have the motor properly broken in. I can't wait!

BTW, the motor runs like a champ! I started her up on the second kick in my sandals.

Brauhausbier screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 09:10 AM
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #236
taco
b00b t00b

Oddometer: 12
Nice job on the dash! It looks great! It's coming together Eric and going to be a great ride!
taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #237
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
nice job on the dash.... I knew I should have patented that

The FZ-1 is a nice piece of work, huh? The XR628 and XR650R both got one, and I was very happy with their performance, and they're quite rugged.

First time you have that offroad though....watch your front brake line. It wants to move up and down quite a bit, and might interfere with the underside of the dash. I ended up raising my dash a bit and tucking wires out of the way of the brake line.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #238
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
nice job on the dash....
First time you have that offroad though....watch your front brake line. It wants to move up and down quite a bit, and might interfere with the underside of the dash. I ended up raising my dash a bit and tucking wires out of the way of the brake line.
I made a nice 3/4'' fold that comes down where the brake line lays so it will hopefully slide and not catch. I have some play that I can move it in or out away from the brake line. For sure, I'll have my eye on that. Thanks for all the inspiration Blake!
I flipped the blinker brackets around so I could get a narrower dash profile that would all be behind the shroud. Used some nylon spacers to get the blinkers to poke out enough from behind the shroud. All seems to work and will work on the FZ1 wiring tonight.

I better make a trip to the DMV this week and get her registered and insured
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #239
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Made some huge progress on the finishing touches on the XR over the past two weekends.

Saturday last week I put in a long 12 hour day - started on the dash wiring

New FZ-1 Fuse Block

Cut FZ-1 power into 12V DC Switched + Line to Flasher under dash using a positap

I ended up using the same 12V DC + Switched line to the flasher for the Relay switch on the FZ-1. On my classic BD DS kit, the energy going to the headlight is AC. The fuse block did not respond to the AC off the headlight but did work properly with the 12V DC Switched line.

All the accessories wired into the dash and FZ-1 : GPS, Dual Star Heated Grips and a 12V accessory plug. (Relay switch still on headlight green wire)

A nice surprise showed up last Sat! A new Sudco FCR41 Kit for the XR6

The Sudco FCR41 XR6 kit is a direct bolt in. One of the big reasons I opted for this kit over the CRF FCR's. The Sudco Kit comes pre-jetted (170 main/50 pilot), with new throttle cables and the airbox adapter (screw in...just needed to add thread lock) Easy install (and a tight fit with the throttle cables)!

I was back on the XR build this past Friday and installed the remaining parts on the handle bars - new grips, mirrors, hand guards, and GPS.

Finished Cockpit

This Friday I took the XR out for it's first break in ride and did a few laps around the neighborhood doing the fast slow thing. The XR pulls strong and for a 628 has some decent speed with the 14-48 gearing. I managed to get the XR up to 80 mph on my final lap home! Much faster than my old DRZ

I changed the oil today and worked on getting the XR ready for it's maiden voyage this next weekend. I'm headed over to Bend, OR next Friday to dirt ride for the weekend with some friends from Freightliner Corp here in PDX. We will be camping and riding in South East Fort Rock/Millican OHV area and the forecast today says sunny and 55 next weekend. I hope we don't get rain/snow

This rebuild has taken me almost a full 4 months and I'm so relieved to have the XR running and hopefully all the bugs fixed and worked out. It will be great to be back out on a thumper on some Bend single track!

I'm throwing a little BBQ on May 7th to celebrate this XR rebuild. If you happen to be in Portland or would like invite details please send me a PM!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #240
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Nice!

How easily does it start when it's good and hot and been laying on it's side? Not that that will ever happen...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote