Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #121
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Wow mate she's coming together nicely and looking so very HOT.
but theres just something that aint right, dont know what yet i just cant put my finger on it mmmmmmmmmmm

oh yeah thats whats wrong

Its not in my garage
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #122
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
Wow mate she's coming together nicely and looking so very HOT.
but theres just something that aint right, dont know what yet i just cant put my finger on it mmmmmmmmmmm

oh yeah thats whats wrong

Its not in my garage
Thanks Dino! This Sunday I installed the cleaned carb, new carb cables, new clutch cable, decomp lever, new clutch/front brake levers, foot pegs (XR's Only) and new throttle sleeve.

Unfortunately, I picked up a bad cold this weekend and I'm down for the count. Maybe I'll get back on the build next weekend. I hope so. Just a few more weekends and this XR will be ready to fire up!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #123
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

XR will not start/any suggestions?

Up late last night after a long night at the XR. Luke came over and we tried for over 3 hours to get the XR started.

Here is where we are:

- Luke came over and we set the valves correct. Check. They check out after several checks tonight.

- still wont start after 3 hours of trying all sorts of things.

- we took the carb off and went through it again - nothing out of wack or any smoking gun.

- the motor stubbled and backfired a few times.

- good spark

- tried different combinations of the power switch and keyed kill switch. Spark is good with keyed kill switch on. Unaffected by the power switch.

- even put the OE choke plate back on the carb - no difference

- played around with the idle settting - no change

- Fuel was pooling into the carb throat - strange

- spark plug did have fuel on it

After a long night, no smoking gun and no start.

I still have the Mikuni that came with the bike and was the last carb that did run.

i'm going to clean the mikuniu carb up and see if it will run. That seems to be the logical step to take with what I have. It was running on this XR's only Mikuni this Dec when I bought the bike.

We keep thinking this is a carb problem, but no smoking gun is coming up.

I'll let you know how the mikuni goes tomorrow. I'm just need to flesh out this angle before i throw in the towel and bring it into a shop. I'm close!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm all ears! Thank you!

Brauhausbier screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 09:08 AM
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #124
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Fuel pooling in the carb throat would lead me to think you have a float level problem.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #125
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
Fuel pooling in the carb throat would lead me to think you have a float level problem.
The float height checks out. Floats have no pin holes or are holding fuel (solid plastic floats). Bowl holds fuel. We went through it last night with a fine comb. No smoking gun.

Forgot my carb specs:

158 Main
68 Pilot
Needle postion #4
Fuel Screw two turns out
FMF Powerbomb Header + FMF PC4 Pipe

I'm going to toss in the XR's only Mikuni Flatslide tonight. That's what this XR was running on before I tore her down back in January. This OE Kahein was in the parts box with the above jets. Thanks Tusker!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #126
flyjosh
Stave It Off!!!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
After a long night, no smoking gun and no start.
But at least it looks purrdy
flyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #127
taco
b00b t00b

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
The float height checks out. Floats have no pin holes or are holding fuel (solid plastic floats). Bowl holds fuel. We went through it last night with a fine comb. No smoking gun.

Forgot my carb specs:

158 Main
68 Pilot
Needle postion #4
Fuel Screw two turns out
FMF Powerbomb Header + FMF PC4 Pipe

I'm going to toss in the XR's only Mikuni Flatslide tonight. That's what this XR was running on before I tore her down back in January. This OE Kahein was in the parts box with the above jets. Thanks Tusker!

Sounds like you guys went through the cam timing pretty well, but one tooth off can cause a cough type sputter. Also I have heard in the past the plastic floats can become saturated with fuel over time and function incorrectly.
taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #128
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjosh View Post
But at least it looks purrdy
Thanks Josh! Here are a few pics from last night

Luke trying to start the beast....

Combed through Carb

Take 3 tonight

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #129
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
Sounds like you guys went through the cam timing pretty well, but one tooth off can cause a cough type sputter. Also I have heard in the past the plastic floats can become saturated with fuel over time and function incorrectly.
Thanks Dave. I'll order a new set of floats. I need a couple of other doo-dads anyhow.

I pulled the valve cover last night and we verified the cam timing again. All checks out and all clearances are good after several re-checks.

Thanks for posting up! We'll ride soon!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #130
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
what about starting procedure? Are you sure you're doing it right? I know it can be really easy to flood big bore thumpers if you're a little too generous with the throttle. I actually fouled a plug in my XR350 once from flooding it. Since then, I try to keep my hand off of the throttle when kickstarting.

Hope you can get her going soon.

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #131
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
what about starting procedure? Are you sure you're doing it right? I know it can be really easy to flood big bore thumpers if you're a little too generous with the throttle. I actually fouled a plug in my XR350 once from flooding it. Since then, I try to keep my hand off of the throttle when kickstarting.

Hope you can get her going soon.
My buddy Luke was over to help me start the beast properly. He races an XR400. He knows the big bore kick proceedure. No gas on throttle, choke on, gas on, kick just after TDC. We messed with the idle screw for a long time too.

I'm liking the "bad floats" theory. The last time we pulled the carb after trying to start last night, the fuel was pooled in the throat of the carb, and up into the slider mechanism. Perahps it's a bad float or needle seat? Needle is at the 4th position.

How to test a solid float?

Hot water? Float on gas? Keep the ideas comin'Thank you
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #132
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
That Luke guy really gets around doesn't he? I'm thinking if Luke can't start it.........dang.

Get with it, get that bad boy running, it's planning to make an appearance at Hells Canyon isn't it? (Hoping I'm right)
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #133
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
That Luke guy really gets around doesn't he? I'm thinking if Luke can't start it.........dang.

Get with it, get that bad boy running, it's planning to make an appearance at Hells Canyon isn't it? (Hoping I'm right)
Thanks for checking in Ladybug! I have some ideas to try and a fresh mind today. I think we can get this bike sorted out this week. Luke is the best!

I can't wait to bring this XR out to HC in June! I'll be bringing Radioman on his Husky 610 with me on the big trailer. Now where's summer???
Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #134
taco
b00b t00b

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
My buddy Luke was over to help me start the beast properly. He races an XR400. He knows the big bore kick proceedure. No gas on throttle, choke on, gas on, kick just after TDC. We messed with the idle screw for a long time too.

I'm liking the "bad floats" theory. The last time we pulled the carb after trying to start last night, the fuel was pooled in the throat of the carb, and up into the slider mechanism. Perahps it's a bad float or needle seat? Needle is at the 4th position.

How to test a solid float?

Hot water? Float on gas? Keep the ideas comin'Thank you
I saw a posting on a Holley carb troubleshooting site that said "If you have black nitrophyl plastic floats on a carb over 5 years old, the float may be soaking up gas and sinking."

Testing sounds interesting. I think anything you did would be a gut check test, but the lighter the fluid I think the better the indication would be. Gas vs. water for example. (Isopropyl alcohol may be safer to use?) If the float sinks a bunch it may be bad. Of course you could compare to the new float and that could confirm and would benefit the next guy if you found a way to measure the floating amount compared to the new one, assuming the old float is indeed bad!
taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #135
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
I saw a posting on a Holley carb troubleshooting site that said "If you have black nitrophyl plastic floats on a carb over 5 years old, the float may be soaking up gas and sinking."

Testing sounds interesting. I think anything you did would be a gut check test, but the lighter the fluid I think the better the indication would be. Gas vs. water for example. (Isopropyl alcohol may be safer to use?) If the float sinks a bunch it may be bad. Of course you could compare to the new float and that could confirm and would benefit the next guy if you found a way to measure the floating amount compared to the new one, assuming the old float is indeed bad!
Thanks Dave! I just ordered new floats and a new fuel screw. Looks like the PO had snapped off the screw head on the fuel screw

This is a 17 y/o carb, so some fresh floats are a good call. The float needle looks good as does all other parts in the OE kehin carb. I picked up a 160 main jet and a 65 pilot jet too for further messing around. WIll have these parts on Thursday! Love that quick shipping from RM ATV

I'm picking up some starting fluid and onto swapping in the Mikuni tonight for Take #3. I need some luck on my side

Intersted in dropping by tonight Dave???