Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #151
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post
great report! You bring a fantastic attitude and writing style to your adventure.

Can't wait for the next exciting episode!
Cheers, no_clue, I'm glad you are enjoying the report.

Re: What to do...

Enduro0125, Blackbert and SlowRoll - thank you for your votes; I will let you know what really happened in the next instalment (which shall be finished a bit quicker than usual... )
Old 04-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #152
Easyrider Jay
n00b

Oddometer: 96
Thank you for great report.
Make me dream my own "One day.."
Easyrider Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #153
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,953
. Decisions, decisions…

What would you have done?

.[/QUOTE]

Bribery is always a first resort..... backtracking is a last resort. It's called an "adventure!"

Onward, always onward.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #154
Kjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I just found this site and have spent the day reading your wonderful story. I'm currently working in Guatemala and was in Santo Domingo before that so I'm kind of relating to where you were. When we got here, all we heard was how dangerous the city is and the high crime rate especially for gringos. So far I have been here a month and a half and have had nothing but great experiences with the locals. I don't speak any spanish so I am a little uncomfortable heading outside the city. I believe if I could speak the language, I would like to tour Central America. I have several questions for you but I will get to them latter. Thanks for the story.

Kelly
Kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #155
Sandino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
Wow, Sandino, that sounds very interesting - I think I have to come back to the Chaco one day. Now that I know the region a bit better, I would probably be more adventurous - but at the time I was rather scared...

However, as I have already warned you earlier - the next time I'm coming to Paraguay I will contact you in advance anyway...

And by the way - where is the ride report about your three weeks in the Chaco?
I understand you were scared, the thing with the Chaco is that you can ride for days without seeing anyone!!, and if the terrain gets hard then everything they tell you come to your mind, and add to that foot prints of jaguars, snakes and the fact that if the bike ever breaks or have a problem, you will have to walk back for days before you can find someone. I did it on my own at the time, but I think it is better at least two bikes...you never know. In 2000, a friend of mine came to Paraguay from the US in a KLR, no problem at all till he got to the Chaco. Mud, powder type sand banks, gas saturated by the powder getting in your tank (I know this sound odd, but it happens), air filter stuck and no airflow due to the powder (call it powder but it is a type of clay with very tiny grain size) and a 48 °C (113 F) of heat in the shade will make you think of the purpose of life itself. I will scan a picture I took with a camera with film, it almost got bad because of the sunlight being so bright at 2 pm with 50°C (122 F), and this is in the fall season.
Anyhow, The Chaco has three ecosystem. I will try to recover all the pictures I took, which are not many, and write a report, better yet, I will try to do a trip and take better pics, let´s see.
If you, or any of the inmate here come by, let me know.
Sandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #156
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocom View Post
Estou acompanhando os relatos, muito bom mesmo. Sou do Brasil e moro na fronteira do Paraguay e ja morei na fronteira com a Bolivia...é muito ruim, geralmente eles querem suborno.

Grande Abraço !!!
Muito obrigado pelas suas amáveis ​​palavras, zerocom!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #157
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider Jay View Post
Thank you for great report.
Make me dream my own "One day.."
My pleasure, Jay. That's exactly why I write this report - to encourage others to fulfill their own dreams. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #158
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Bribery is always a first resort..... backtracking is a last resort. It's called an "adventure!"

Onward, always onward.
It's really interesting that the majority of you would have gone for the bribe...
Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #159
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohn View Post
I just found this site and have spent the day reading your wonderful story. I'm currently working in Guatemala and was in Santo Domingo before that so I'm kind of relating to where you were. When we got here, all we heard was how dangerous the city is and the high crime rate especially for gringos. So far I have been here a month and a half and have had nothing but great experiences with the locals. I don't speak any spanish so I am a little uncomfortable heading outside the city. I believe if I could speak the language, I would like to tour Central America. I have several questions for you but I will get to them latter. Thanks for the story.

Kelly
Kelly, your post is really touching. Thank you for your time reading my report - whatever questions you may have, I will try to answer them.

RE learning Spanish: couldn't you take lessons at a language school or find a personal tutor, maybe even in exchange for teaching them English? I'm sure there are locals at your work place or colleagues who have been in the country a bit longer who know someone who could help you further.

It's absolute worth it - your stay in Guatemala will be so much more enriching when you can talk to the locals. Not to forget that future tour through Central America...
Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #160
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandino View Post
I understand you were scared, the thing with the Chaco is that you can ride for days without seeing anyone!!, and if the terrain gets hard then everything they tell you come to your mind, and add to that foot prints of jaguars, snakes and the fact that if the bike ever breaks or have a problem, you will have to walk back for days before you can find someone.

Quote:
I did it on my own at the time, but I think it is better at least two bikes...you never know. In 2000, a friend of mine came to Paraguay from the US in a KLR, no problem at all till he got to the Chaco. Mud, powder type sand banks, gas saturated by the powder getting in your tank (I know this sound odd, but it happens), air filter stuck and no airflow due to the powder (call it powder but it is a type of clay with very tiny grain size) and a 48 °C (113 F) of heat in the shade will make you think of the purpose of life itself.
Respect to both of you!

Quote:
I will scan a picture I took with a camera with film, it almost got bad because of the sunlight being so bright at 2 pm with 50°C (122 F), and this is in the fall season.
Anyhow, The Chaco has three ecosystem. I will try to recover all the pictures I took, which are not many, and write a report, better yet, I will try to do a trip and take better pics, let´s see.
Yes, please. Whatever option you choose, I look forward to your report.

Quote:
If you, or any of the inmate here come by, let me know.
I will, thank you very much for your offer.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #161
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,840
Just found this one. It's going to take a while to catch up, but certainly looks like it'll be worth it. Thanks for sharing.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #162
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh simply

magic

brilliant ride report,

this is one of the reasons i took up riding :)

excellent take care and thanks

ray
Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #163
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,672
Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #164
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Just found this one. It's going to take a while to catch up, but certainly looks like it'll be worth it. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Hannda, hope you won't be disappointed...
Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #165
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycam01_au View Post
magic

brilliant ride report,

this is one of the reasons i took up riding :)

excellent take care and thanks

ray

Thanks, Ray, you've got some nice riding in Australia, too. One day...