User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Chaseh OP
The Last Dragon

Oddometer: 168
Gerbings and/or Sargent Heat controller mount

I've started to search for ideas on how to permanently or at least seasonally mount these controllers but if you have a solution you're particularly proud of, I'd love to hear about it and really would like to see a shot of it.

Ideally I'd like to see them build into the handlebars but otherwise am looking for best areas to have controls mounted.

"You know you can't bring that weak ass stuff up in this humpy bumpy" - Terry Tate, Office Linebacker.
Chaseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,835
My sargent seat heat controller is bolted on the crossbar of my gsa on the far left side.
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
aladin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Jacket Mounting

I use my Gerbings stuff on multiple bikes so I found it easier to simply clip the dual temp control (see link below) to a loop on my Olympia jacket. It is easy to reach for quick adjustments while riding. I can adjust the temperature of the vest or gloves separately.

http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html
aladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Rollmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Gerbings mount '05 GS

I mounted my controller on the left side, under the seat, near the accessory outlet.

I spliced some of the wire so I had a longer connecting cord from the controller to the plug for my jacket (wanted to be able to stand up on the pegs & be able to dismount without pulling on the wire), and I store the cord under the seat here:

Then when I want to use it, I just run the cord out the front of the seat:

It's a decently handy location, and it looks good mounted there. Handlebars would be best, but the controller I have is too bulky to mount in any sort of good-looking way on the handlebars. Figured this was the best compromise.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
I use mine on four different bikes so haven't a fixed mount. I need to give aladin's idea of clipping it to the jacket a try.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Like several others I use my heated gear on several bikes. I stitched a strip of Nylon strap on the lower left pocket flap of my Olympia AST jacket to clip the controller on.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Another vote for mounting the control to your jacket via the controller cover. You don't run the risk of someone "borrowing" it from the bike (hard to believe someone would do that, but it happened to a riding bud of mine) and you only have one easy to get to disconnect to separate from the bike. And, it is the way Pony Express Riders used to hook theirs up for use on alternating steeds!

The First Gear folks sewed a D-ring into the stitching of the lower right pocket close as possible to the center of the jacket for perfect "cross draw ergonomics" for left hand use going down the road. Copy that some way or another and you will be in good shape! Hth. ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Chaseh OP
The Last Dragon

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I'm looking to do permanent installations. Other bike isn't for the cold but if I wanted to hook in on other bikes in the future I would use a separate unit.

I'm thinking about using the Touratech cockpit cover to host the gerbings control and also add extra outlet(s).

Anyone added a custom control unit instead of what's provided with the sargent seat?

"You know you can't bring that weak ass stuff up in this humpy bumpy" - Terry Tate, Office Linebacker.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Semper Fi
Runs with Scissors

Oddometer: 872
I got a Gerbing permanent controller i may be mounting on the accesory socket option on the left winglet until I saw this real cool set up

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20
IBA #35651
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Silent Panda
Moms love me

Oddometer: 159
Mounted switch (Aerostitch Heat-troller) here....

the box is stuck to the front of the throttle cable box with body molding tape.

the switch is very easy to reach and the diode is easy to watch blink.
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Gerbing Mount

I have played around with a few mounts and this one is the first that I am really happy with. At the recent MC show in Seattle, I bought a right angle coax plug mount at the Gerbing booth. I actually had to buy a whole kit, but I like have a lot of useless, extra crap laying around because invariably it become useful someday. Here is a link to some photos. I don't seem to have the means to post more than one photo.

https://picasaweb.google.com/kennnee...eat=directlink

When I ride, I attach the controller to the velcro and If I forget about it when I dismount, it pulls off easily without any damage. The location is great for adjusting the temp while riding, Other mounts I have used have been more difficult to plug in with one hand.

If you decide to do it this way, choose the location for the hole carefully or it will not fit behind the plastic panel. I had to remove one of the lock nuts on the inside of the plug to make it fit close enough to the back of the panel so it would fit.

Ken

Update-

I re-wired it so that the Controller aways stays in place and controls the plug directly. Just plug in and use the controller. It works great.

Kenadian screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 02:11 PM Reason: new link
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Here is where I put my single controller.....it's the dual lock velcro....works great....

Beast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Got the idea from Silent Panda...thx SP.

I had a single gerbings controller with one outlet on the left of the bike in between the front and rear seats....that worked fine for either my wife or myself since all we use is heated gloves....but not if we were riding 2 up....so I decided to mount permanent dual controllers and use the single portable on my dual sport...here is where I mounted the dual permanent controllers....front one for me....back one for the passenger...works great

I also noticed yesterday when I was riding on some pretty rough stuff....that when I stood up....sometimes the gloves would disconnect....so I put this in ...lies tight to the body when connected but expands when you stand up on the pegs.....

Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Chaseh OP
The Last Dragon

Looks good BR. Will be awesome when you redo the seat with heat.

I've decided to go with a touratech cockpit cover (I&II) with additional outlets added as well as the permanent controllers from Gerbings being used to work the Gerbings pigtail and the Sargent seat, plus an added fuse box.

I'll upload pics when installed. This beyond me and being performed by George at www.beemersuberalles.com.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Chaseh OP
The Last Dragon

Here's what I ended up with

Ended up with a permanent install using a Touratech cockpit cover (which also adds an additional pocket socket) a Gerbings dual temp controller, which controls both my Gerbings jacket and the Sargent seat, and a Centech fuse box to handle the new wiring, plus a pigtail up through the seat for the jacket. All was installed by Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas, thanks George!