Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

Oddometer: 87
8 Days Riding the South Tunisia: Piste, Salt Lake, Desert And Dunes

Hi Adventure Folks,

Here I am with my first ride report ever here on advrider, thanks for the space!

I'm 28 and I live in Monza, Italy. My motorbike is a 2008 XT660z Ténéré. I travel with her since 2010.
for my oldest Trips you can watch the Edits here https://vimeo.com/channels/freerideverywhere or Raw Videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY...UJdE-ZqCQfsv6Q, both in continuous update, subscribe if you like!

Second time that i went to South Tunisia for New Years Eve, last time i was only with a friend with a K640ADV, this Year we were 4 Motorbikes ( my Ténéré 660, K950ADV, K690 and BMWf800Gs) and a 1996 Toyota RAV4 2.0

We all come from the North Italy Milan Area, and for us going to take the boat from Genova to Tunisi it's just 150km of Highway..PURA VIDA!

Hope u'll enjoy this report, ask you sorry in advance for my not so perfect English!

Here the Edit of the Trip

Tunisia Strikes Back: a Desert Trip from Mariscos Yeah on Vimeo.

Hope you'll Like!

DAY 1/2

The Boat trip was a bit "Rock 'n' Roll" as the sea was Force 6/7 for all the route, but the Italian Grappa made us confortable with all the Ups and Downs.

Here some Photos of our "Team" and Machines at the Genova Harbour

And here the AT of my Friend MassiveLee that we meet few times during this trip and who's got here his ride report of his huge trip in South Europe and Tunisia: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038416

As Usual the Boat departed and arrived late and with the shitty border process that tooks more than 3 hours (with a Jeep is really slower than with only bikes) we had to deal with a night in the Tunisi area, but we found a cheap Hotel near to "La Marsa" and we slept there in order to Wake Up early the next morning and go directly to the south and start the offroad from Gafsa to Tozeur.

On the route to Gafsa there's a lot of "nice" BBQ, the lamb was just Amazing, and the grill woman wanted a Photo w/ my Girlfriend :)

Here a Typical Overloaded Truck

And after 350km we arrived finally in Gafsa, here just before hitting the first Dirt of our trip:

We had to do little bit "Off-Piste" 'cause they built a new tarmac road near MD'Hilla and some Piste on the Tunisia v13 map doesn't exist anymore..
Before decide what to do then Compass Mode

Then we arrived at Bedouina Camp in Dguache (5km from Tozeur) not luxury at all, full of cockroaches, cat's shit and some other cool stuff to scary the Girls, but was extremely cheap :)
We set our Big Tent and cook some Pasta after smoked a Traditional Chicha. First night in our Tent, ready to freezing our asses out 'cause the last January Week was the coldest since 30 years in Tunisia.

The Next Day our destination will be Douz, trough Nefta Sand Dunes and Star Wars set, crossing a bit of the Chott. After we'll take the offroad Piste near Algerian Border.. (Coming Soon, stay Tuned!)
Wait! Just a photo for teasing you :)

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles"

Mariscos660 screwed with this post 02-06-2015 at 03:10 AM
Mariscos660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,200
Very good start. Hopefully our reports will convince more people that Tunisia is a great playground for adventure riders. Both for the type that likes staying on the hard stuff (tarmac), and the other who prefer the loose stuff (sand and gravel). ;-) And may I mention that in 11 days I haven't seen a single fence or barrier. Basically one can ride almost anywhere he/she wants.

Lee
1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
nichloasjerry1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
another one and thank god I am early so Count me in
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,221
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #5
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 744
Sounds like an awesome trip.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
Nickhob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Old 01-26-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

Thank You Guys!

Preparing the day 3, stay tune

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles"

Mariscos660 screwed with this post 01-26-2015 at 01:47 AM
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #8
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

DAY 3: Tozeur to Douz Via Nefta Dunes, Chott El Djerid & Tozeur Desert

After a freezing night we woke up early around 5/6 AM. We pack all our thing to start the day "stage" that will bring us to Douz, Village known as "la Porte du Sahara".
Filled our Tanks we go north to Nefta to test our Machines on the first Dunes Tunisia offers to us, Knowing that Michelin Desert will do their great dirt job :)

On the Route there was also the Famous "Camel Stone" and one of the set of Star Wars.

And now Begins.. the Salt Lake Fun! This winter was pretty cold and rainy, so it needs to be careful to ride there, 'cause once you get stuck it's very very difficult to restart, specially with the bigger bikes as the BMW and the 950, and they Fell Down both :)
As you can see by the photo there's a lot of mud that it's slippery as soap or ice, Worst than the worst from Italy, the clay one. :)

Just some Photos at Luke Skywalker's House and we had to go, the day just started, still a lot of kms ahead..

Then I decide to try a new "piste" for me, the last year i've made the one more external and nearest to Algerian Border, but this year i choose the one nearest the side of the Chott, in theory more faster, but in Fact.. Was a Mess!

The 690 and my 660 had no so much problem to cross that Parts, but the BMW and 950 yes, we helped them get out but the surprises are not finished..
The BMW gets a Flat Tyres in Tozeur Desert. We were veeery lucky cause we were at the end of the "piste" 1/2 km to the tarmac road that leads first to "El Faouar". We tried EVERYTHING to get out the rear tyre from the wheel and change the Air Chamber, but the tyre seemed glued on the wheel, and even with the 4x4 on it, the tyres remained there.
so we remount, inflate to the max to arrive to the tarmac, and then there find a solution.. (everything on the video i'm editing in these days)

Me and Uberto (950 Guy) left to find the nearest Tyre Shop with the Machine for Cars and Camion, and the other just found a pickup (BMW Service ) to put the Moto on it.
We found that at El Faouar, the pickup left the moto there. The driver guy was nice cause doesn't ask us anything for this great BMW Service!
Also the Tyre Man was nice and just ask 2 Dinar to repair the Chamber. Now we're also friend on FB and want to invite us to his house the next time we'll come there :)

After the Chamber Repair its almost Dark, so we run to Douz to Eat at "la porte du sahara Restaurant" (the best one imho in Douz) and slept to Camping Desert Club with Hot Shower!!
At night we set up a little fire and drink some Jaegermeister to warm up, you can see the 950 rider sleeping on the chair, hard ride for 270km, most of it Offroad, with this Beast eh? :)

Next Day Goal is Ksar Ghilane, precisely Camp Zmela, to cheer for new years eve! Here the Teasing photo :)
Thanks to all the subscribers and for the comments, Stay Tune for day 4!

Mariscos660 screwed with this post 03-18-2015 at 03:10 AM
Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

Day 4/5: Douz to Campement Zmela via Ksar Ghilane + Rest Day

Hi ADV folks, here i am with the third part of our Tunisian Trip.
Left Douz early in the morning we fill our tanks at the local gas station and enter to the real Desert: SAHARA

in few KMs my exhaust band clamp broke down, but fortunately i had one for back up as i broke one every trip, and replaced in 10 min :)

At the half of the Piste to Ksar Ghilane you can find a beautiful landscape 360° wide all around of absolutely nothing and completely silent, one of the best things Desert can give to you.

And Then the Dunes! round and soft like a beautiful woman, fantastic to Ride even w/ your luggage (but in fesh fesh you struggle), the reason why we came here..

But when you start had fun you just forget how dangerous could be riding soft sand dunes.. coming down from one, i saw at last a bush of camel grass, my front wheel got stuck and in half second i went over the bars, no physical conseguences for me but for my motorbike...
The tank supports paid in full to the frame broke down (as you can se by the Photos).

A big problem fixed the next day at Camp Zmela with some elastic clamps and an old air chamber, that will last perfectly 'till return to our home.
On the other hand we discovered that the KTM 950 has a little oil loss. The rear wheel was scratching the oil tank in compression (was under the seat due to a modification). in the rest day we fixed with liquid aluminium (bi-component).
We finally arrive at Zmela camp. a magical place, this year the weather was really cold, But ready fo New Year Eve Party! (we met also the Italian Africa Twin Club there)
The next day is rest day, to check up and fix our motorbike and just relax beside the dunes.

After Zmela we'll exit Sahara by Beni kedache Piste and sleep in the Beautiful Chenini.
See Ya for the last days :)
Thanks

Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,200
Very nice report. I will study your itinerary closely for my next trip. Hopefully next year, I won't ride alone and I will try to be lighter. That shall allow me to do more offroad sections than this year.

Keep on the good work.

Lee

BTW When I was in Neftah, I asked about crossing the Chot to Douz and was told it was way to moist and slippery in this season. Too dangerous for cars, even more for a bike, alone. So I followed the Algerian border going South.
1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,869
Nice!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
In.

Any more to come?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #13
Tincho2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I´m also in... is that all folks?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #14
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

Hi Guys! Thanks for following, there's the last days coming, sorry for no updates but now i'm in!

Mariscos660 screwed with this post 03-16-2015 at 02:21 PM
Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #15
Mariscos660 OP
Big Tanks OFFroader

Day 6 - Exit the Sahara, Going to Chenini

Hi to all ADV Folks! After rest day passed to fix our bikes it's time to leave camp Zmela and hit the way out the Sahara.
We passed againg trough Ksar Ghilane Oasis, visit the Roman Fort and then take the beautiful Piste to Beni Kedache, in order to arrive in Chenini for afternoon.

Here a Fail to turn down the bike off the Dune near the pool of Ksar Ghilane

Some Camels and the view from the Ksar Ghilane Fort:

There's no North Africa without some German Freaks with strange Vehicles :)

Amazing Riding in these Fantastic Landscapes

Here the Toyota Driver had a lot of fun and shows off his Rally Skills, beautiful terrain to ride and drive, play videos for some action!

We helped also a little guy to fix his Mobilette:

Then we reached Fast Tataouine to fill our Tanks and eat something, finally come out a bit of sun to warm up our bones from the previous days and met also our friend with Africa Twin Massive Lee and we ate all together, he told us a lot of nice Adventures and hints for Travel in Canada, Thanks Lee (sorry no photo)! here his RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=tunisia

Then it's time to go to Chenini, the beautiful Berber city build in the mountain. We'll sleep in the typical Hotel in the old city "centre": Cave Room, breathtaking view, hot water, good dinner and breakfast for only 15 euro!

Next day we'll visit Star Wars set in Ksar Haddada and other movie attraction in Matmata, to spend the last times in this Magical Country.. Coming Soon!

Please Comment and Rate so other Desert Adventures Enthusiast can read this! Thanks
Many Thanks to all the Followers

Mariscos660 screwed with this post 03-18-2015 at 02:31 AM