User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #136
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,075
Subscribed.

I worked for a dealer who sold the new Enfields for a short period of time. We had a few demo bikes that I put a few miles on. I tend to agree in your assessment. I rode one of the new FI'd bikes and got caught in the rain and it shut off on me. Wouldn't start up again until the next morning when it dried out. That was the first and last time I took one of the demo bikes home.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #137
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 685
Is it just me ...

... or is the hammer the preferred tool for fixing Royal Enfields. I have seen more than one of them in this report.

Loving this report, keep it coming.

Yellowknife
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #138
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 462
The hammer is used often and creatively, This bolt stripped the threads in the head. Solution: take a hammer to the bolt, beat on it on two sides so it becomes slightly oval shaped and screw it back in. The expanded threads "cut" new threads where the threads in the head were stripped. Worked like a charm. BTW, was in Leh as well.

Nice report, brings memories back. We did not have quit as many problems as you had with the RE, but I concur with your conclusion. I hate to think though what would happen if I had a problem with my beemer there.

I hope you made it to the Nubra Valley, it is fantasticly beautifull.

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #139
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Subscribed! I've been plotting a trip like this for years
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #140
Andyhorror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Laugh

this a great RR. amazing that you guys keep your cool in some of situations that you get into. I'm glad that you guys chose enfields for the trip, it definitely lends authenticity to the journey seriously tho my favorite part has been the bikes getting fixed.

and the hammers. every time i get called to fix anything for someone, thats tool that i always make sure i have

cant wait for more
Andyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #141
philsb
Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer: 36
Hammer aka a Manchester screwdriver. Add city/nationality and tool type to suit the circumstance.
I'm enjoying your report. With my mechanical incompetence I would have been up sh*t street without a paddle, to mix my metaphors.
Phil
philsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #142
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 685
Just in case you need a paddle in the future ...

YK
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #143
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Thanks for taking the time on this Ride Report.....

Love the photos plus your candid writing style..... All of those "problems" are making for a great Adventure read.....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #144
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
This detour would prove to be really cool. We were really getting the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere. We discussed the term "nowhere" and if you look at it just slightly different it's "now here"!! Perfect. That says it all. We were definitely "now here"!!

Nowhere - Now Here...

Awesome!

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #145
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
... or is the hammer the preferred tool for fixing Royal Enfields. I have seen more than one of them in this report.

Loving this report, keep it coming.

Yellowknife[/QUOTE]

Great observation YK.

It was quickly confirmed in the fallowing posts that no one should ever attempt a ride farther than the local coffee shop on one of these piles unless you are equipped with a sturdy hammer..

You would think that Myheap would have included one in the substandard tool kit he gave us for our trip to Kashmir. Maybe it was because we would have used it to pummel him upon our return to his office.

Probably a good call he didn't give us one.
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #146
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
This is great!!!

I'm going to remember this Report the next time all heck breaks loose.

I'll do like you guys do and relax, and put my faith in the power of the Universe to make everything OK.

Get loose. That's my new mantra.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #147
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Day 13:
We got up early, had something to eat and stopped by the market to stock up for lunch. I love all the open air markets. Along with the flooding making news recently, unrest in Muslim Srinagar was also making news. We had gotten word that the curfews had been lifted in Srinagar and we felt comfortable about passing through without incident. We would attempt to complete our loop.

It was another beautiful day and the road was mostly pretty good at this point.

We were continuing down the Indus River and would come across more devastation from the floods.

We were really enjoying this nice stretch of road.

You just need to get out of the way sometimes.

There was lots of army activity going on up here as you might imagine. We were nearing the "line of control" between Kashmir and Pakistan. There's still lots of unrest in Kashmir.

The Himalayan terrain would show to be totally outrageous through these next couple of days.

The road started out excellent for India standards and we punched 95km pretty quickly. Now we'd get back into what we were used to. We were starting to climb back into the high country as we made our way to our goal of the town Kargill.

This was one of the most intense climbs that we'd do.

It was also a major trucking route between Srinagar and Leh. Look closely here, you can see a truck traversing the hillside. Can you imagine driving these roads in one of those sketchy trucks?!

The bikes were doing they're job but, like I said before, we always felt like they could give up the ghost at any time. They were pulling us through some incredible terrain.

We were back up to around 10,000' and found this little structure to stop at and have some lunch. I also filled my bike with oil. The thing was chugging ONE QUART A DAY!!

Totally amazing mountains.

We continued climbing and would go over a handful of fairly high passes.

We didn't know if we would be able to take this route through Srinagar due to time restraints and local unrest so we were quite pleased to be here. The terrain and riding on this route was some of our favorite of the trip.

No explanation needed here. The flat classification was a "class 1 puncture".

As usual, Indians started to gather and watch. One tried to grab the tube to show me how to fix it. I appreciated the gesture but it tweaked me a bit that I almost had to pull the tube from the guy's hands. They were friendly enough but I wasn't going to let them show me how to patch a tube. After all, we were writing the "Coffee Table Book of Flats"!!

Not long after we got the flat fixed Buurrt's bike started running really bad. It was to the point where we couldn't continue. We checked the spark first. It was good so the problem was a fuel issue. We checked the carburetor for dirt or other issues. Nothing obvious. This wasn't good. As we were putting the carb back on I said "Hey, what's this?". It was a rag that Buurrt had stuffed under the seat and had gotten sucked into the airbox blocking the air intake!! The rag had been the problem with his bike not running quite right over the last two days. He says, "huh, that's the second time I've done that to a bike!" Great. Well, can't blame the Enfield for this breakdown, just our own stupidity. Nonetheless, with the flat and this little issue, it would be just another day of "on the road maintenance".

We stopped off to check the air pressure in my rear tire. We had to add a few pounds and this little Enfield mechanic "in training" was manning the air hose. He put air in and checked it with a gauge and pronounced it good.

After a long day, we made it to our goal of Kargil which sits at about 9000 feet in elevation.

There are some really tall peaks around this region sitting at about 20,000 feet in elevation.

The evening commute.

We were now in a mostly Muslim region. They consume a lot more meat up here.

We found a hotel and the young man that was in charge of course declared "One photo! One photo!" The boys LOVE getting pictures on their phones of themselves with western women. He wrapped his head with Minxter's scarf and the photo shoot was on!! We started sticking in lurkers in the background for these photo shoots.

The accommodations weren't bad and the food was decent. You can't get any booze in this region and we had failed to stock up back in Leh. We found out that booze is easily available through the black market for outrageous prices. We skipped it.

This ended up being a fairly hefty day of around 180 to 200km. The mountains were excellent!!
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #148
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Getting better all the time.

Don't know if you watch "IRT Dangerous roads", this week's episode was as to the truck driving out there.

Looks like they go by sound a lot, maybe strapping an air horn to the handlebars could be a good way to approach them curves. Then they "may" think you are way bigger than them....!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #149
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Yeah, I guess I've overlooked the horns. I'm not sure how I could have skipped this crucial tool that all drivers use liberally. The truckers are on a different level. They all have these high tech horns installed. They play various short tunes blasted at high volume. It's funny to me to see these beat up trucks with a horn that's probably worth more then the entire truck!! These things will scare the shit out of you coming out of nowhere and for no apparent reason often times.

Joe Motocross screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 11:45 AM
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #150
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
What an amazing report! Subscribed!

And my hat's off to the girls. I am so impressed by them. Personally, I do not know any female that would be game for such an adventure.

You lucky bums! I envy you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
Yeah, I guess I've overlooked the horns.....
By the way, Joe, the video you posted is private - does not play in embedding.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote