User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #151
flaldrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumb Royal Enfield Ride

Great photos........Spectacular views and ride report....can hardly wait for the next installment.

Ride Safe

Mike
flaldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #152
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Yeah, the girls are amazing. Not only did they keep the whole shit circus together but were totally into it. Plus they're hot!!

Sorry about the vid, I think I fixed it. Just realized another one I posted earlier was private as well. I'll put it up again.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #153
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 685
The other side of the coin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post
... or is the hammer the preferred tool for fixing Royal Enfields. I have seen more than one of them in this report.

Loving this report, keep it coming.

Yellowknife

Great observation YK.

It was quickly confirmed in the fallowing posts that no one should ever attempt a ride farther than the local coffee shop on one of these piles unless you are equipped with a sturdy hammer..

You would think that Myheap would have included one in the substandard tool kit he gave us for our trip to Kashmir. Maybe it was because we would have used it to pummel him upon our return to his office.

Probably a good call he didn't give us one.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you refrained from using the hammer. The other side of the coin is that this young mechanic has a bright future fixing Royal Enfields once he grows up! Obviously a growth industry!

Thanks for writing a fantastic report folks - pics are awesome and I can safely say that many of your readers would prefer to have gone on this ride vice working for the man.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #154
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the other video that I posted earlier that I didn't realize no one could view.

It's a quick demonstration of the Enfield "Flexi-frame" design. Just keeps it interesting in the advent that you actually might come into a corner with a little speed where you'll really feel the bike bending.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #155
flaldrider
Adventurer

Royal Enfields

Have you contacted the rental shop about the repairs that you have had to make on this adventure or are you just going to wait until you arrive back at his shop at the end of this ride?

Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #156
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
Here's the other video ... It's a quick demonstration of the Enfield "Flexi-frame" design....
Holy crap!
I had once a late-70's mixte frame tandem bicycle that I thought was the worst flexing frame of anything I've ever ridden. But this beats it hands down!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #157
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
...The other side of the coin is that this young mechanic has a bright future fixing Royal Enfields once he grows up! ...
One thing that I find difficult about these exotic ride reports is that they remind me how lucky I was: born, brought up and now living in such unbelievable comfort and wealth, compared to a better part of this planet. It is sad to think about what most likely awaits this kid in life - in contrast to the opportunities given to kids in our families.

After I visited Bombay (as it was still called at the time), I lost any desire to go to the Subcontinent again. The poverty was so overwhelming and the sense that there was nothing I could do about it was very dispiriting.

However, this thread may reignite my travel spark...
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #158
Norry
A Great Bloke

Oddometer: 64
Great stuff ! sitting here with a broken leg while you guys are living your dream, envy is not the word. just to be able to get on my bike is my dream at the moment, yes that's right, a very sad story indeed ,just 2 mins. silence tonight and then i would be assured that you care.
Also the vendor selling the bananas, can you get his phone number for me ,we just had a cyclone here in oz, wiped out 90pc. of our nanas.
Norry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #159
southroads
old and tired

Oddometer: 142
great stuff!!

Thanks Joe M and crew, great ride report , Im trying to get over there this year and hopefully wont meet as many R E mechanics as you ,Its been a hell of a trip
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #160
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 685
Forgive me for this Hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
One thing that I find difficult about these exotic ride reports is that they remind me how lucky I was: born, brought up and now living in such unbelievable comfort and wealth, compared to a better part of this planet. It is sad to think about what most likely awaits this kid in life - in contrast to the opportunities given to kids in our families.

After I visited Bombay (as it was still called at the time), I lost any desire to go to the Subcontinent again. The poverty was so overwhelming and the sense that there was nothing I could do about it was very dispiriting.

However, this thread may reignite my travel spark...
Totally agree with this statement, and though we may not be able to change the world we can lift one or two up - my recommendation of choice is the Salvation Army. For 75 cents a day you can sponsor a child in a country such as India where they can receive food, clothing, and education. I believe education is the key and maybe in turn the ones you help will help others.

Hijack off - back to regular programming please!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #161
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the highjack Yellowknife, you have very kind thoughts.

Flaldrider: You may have missed it back in Keylong but we decided that we were done informing Myheap and smart motors about our breakdowns. It only slowed us down to get him involved. Before we left Delhi he assured us that we would be reimbursed as long as we kept the receipts. He also said that we'd get our deposit back as long as the bike returned even if we had to put it on a truck. We thought that was kinda an odd statement, like, maybe he's had people just ditch the bikes out somewhere after they break down?!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #162
flaldrider
Adventurer

Enfield Epic

Thanks for the clarification.........The return of the bike should be very interesting!!!

Keep the RR coming for us all to enjoy.

Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #163
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
... He also said that we'd get our deposit back as long as the bike returned even if we had to put it on a truck. We thought that was kinda an odd statement, like, maybe he's had people just ditch the bikes out somewhere after they break down?!
You thought that it was odd - before or after your bikes started to break down?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #164
djlxr400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
What anawesome and entertaining RR. I am just amazed that there are not better bikes available to explore such an incredible country, that being said, with out the Royal Enfields all this would have been was two nice looking American couples touring India on a pair of GSs. This is a true adventure. Thanks for sharing.

djlxr400 screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 10:30 AM
djlxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #165
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
That's real adventure! I've backpacked through India a couple times in the 90's and I see things haven't changed much. Everything is an extreme.

Great that you can roll with the punches. Found that if you survive the country nothing the world hands you the rest of your life will ever truly bother you again.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote