Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #166
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I was talking about this RR with the wife, I've been showing her pics and reading some bits out loud, and we were trying to figure out what was more amazing, the pics or the wrenching. Then it hit us. The most amazing thing is how light the wimmins packed! Fly to the other side of the world for a two week adventure with just a little carryon daypack? Absolutely amazing!

So we were wondering if the ladies would chime in and tell what they packed, what they didn't pack, what they wished they had packed but didn't and what they did pack that they could have done without.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip with us,

Steven
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #167
WHM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
I was talking about this RR with the wife, I've been showing her pics and reading some bits out loud, and we were trying to figure out what was more amazing, the pics or the wrenching. Then it hit us. The most amazing thing is how light the wimmins packed! Fly to the other side of the world for a two week adventure with just a little carryon daypack? Absolutely amazing!

So we were wondering if the ladies would chime in and tell what they packed, what they didn't pack, what they wished they had packed but didn't and what they did pack that they could have done without.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip with us,

Steven
My wife wants to know the same thing... I think she's willing to try an exotic trip... she rides her own Harley at home and we make 3,000-4,500 mile trips in the summer... she could ride an Adventure bike now that she has almost 40,000 miles on her Harley! Great thread looking forwar to an update.
WHM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #168
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,409
HA, I'm loving this RR!! I'd love to know what the ladies packed too in case I ever want to try something like this.

Gotta say though, as interesting as your trip is, I'm most looking forward to finding out what happened once you brought the bikes (after paying more on repairs then the bikes themselves were likely worth) back to the rental place.

I've been thinking about a trip up to Tibet or elsewhere in the Himalayas, what a gorgeous part of the world that is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #169
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
lovely report & great adventure

there has been discussed enough about smaller bikes; I just want to ad, take at least a 150cc, there are enough of them, a Pulsar 180 or a Karizma 225 has nearly the Power of the Enfield.

Though you really had bad luck; on the other hand, my brother had borrowed a neclected Enfield from a friend in 2007 and we had to do some repairs every day, while my TVS Fiero had no issues at all.

Rhajeev Whadwa in Karol Bag has a bike shop and is a is a good, honest man and himself a racer; he won his amateur class in the Raid de Himalaya at least 2 times. Bought two bikes from him, no problem. Don't have his number anymore, though.
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #170
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
This is by far the most amazing report I have read on this site. It would be an honor to ride with ya'll some day.

Now going on a trip like that? A dream which must happen.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #171
doring
Aventuros

Oddometer: 30
Nice, very very nice. Your adventure was awesome and I'm sure that you had a lot of fun despite the mechanical issues. Nice pics too. You proved to me that we can have a great adventure in any circumstances, even with the wifes :))))
I'm planing :)
doring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #172
Minxter
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Okay ladies I’ve made a list. I have packed a little extra clothing because I planned to stay another month after the crew left. Everything fit into my side sling bag and our carry on waterproof dry backpacks (Costco). We carried our helmets in hand. I do have a lot of experience traveling light so I have things down to a T. We still had room for a few small purchases along the way.... A girls gotta shop :)

Clothing: Riding pants
Yoga pants
Stretch pants
Black gaucho short pants
Black skirt
Long sleeve t-shirt
3/4 sleeve loose fitting shirt
Black tank top
Yellow striped tank top
Long sleeve black wrinkle free shirt
Two yoga bras
Regular bra
Five pairs of panties
Wool base layer top
Wool base layer bottom
Three long pairs of thin(ish) socks
Short flip flop socks
Down coat
Wool hat
Buff (thin neck gator)

Shoes: Riding shoes
Flip flops

Gear: 40* down sleeping bag... add dryer sheets to the stuff sac.. fresh :)
Silk sheet (bug treated)
Down pillow
Sheepskin seat cover... saves my bum!
Steripen (water purifier)
Nalgene water bottle
Leather Gloves
Fleece glove liners
Helmet
Rain pants
Rain Jacket
Rain shoe covers
Camera and charger
Side sling bag (I am never without this.. holds passport, money,
camera,phone and waterproof stuff sac)
Head lamp
Iphone and charger
Sun glasses
Headphones
Deck of cards

Toiletries: Disclaimer.... I am an Aesthetician so my skincare regime is more that what most people bring. I need options... I only bring a small amount of each thing. Luckily I could put a few things in Joe’s bag..... being that you can only bring so much liquid in your carry on.

3oz shampoo
3oz conditioner
3oz hair smoother...a must in humidity
3oz Dr. bronners soap.. wouldn’t bring again, you find good soap.
1/2 oz tea tree oil... awesome for cuts or any infections.
1/2 oz lavender oil.. calming for skin and mind.. smells nice too.
Two kinds of facial wash
Facial exfoliant
Manuka honey facial mask
Two kinds of facial moisturizer
Sunscreen
Face powder
Tweezers
Mascara
Lip stuff
Lavender powder
Tampons... you'll never find them there!
Toothpaste
Tooth brush
Wide tooth comb
Big hair clip
Rubber bands for my hair
Body exfoliating glove

Extras:
Ginger chews... used every day
Digestive enzymes.. I used these almost everyday.
Multi vitamins
Four protein bars emergency food :)
Nuts and dried cherries
Advil
Emergency Vit C packets
Grapefruit seed extract
Zicam zinc
Maja had the first aid kit.... :)

I know this looks like a lot, but it did all fit with a little extra room left. :) As far as I can remember I didn't wish I'd brought anything I didn't already have. Lucky for me Joe was willing to take home the keep sakes! ~minxter

Minxter screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 10:18 PM
Minxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #173
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxter View Post
Okay ladies I’ve made a list....
So impressed! I am printing this out for The Wife. Most likely, nothing will come out of this - but it is also a guideline for the routinely over-packing myself.

Good job!

Edit: Ah, yes... Voile straps. A pack of these is en route to my house. Thanks for the pointer.

rdwalker screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 10:43 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #174
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Thumb

Just caught up with your report, AWESOME!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #175
lakeland_rock
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This is an awesome read. I am supposed to be going to the Himalayas next year. I am now officially scared
lakeland_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #176
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,892
Thank Joe for another awesome report. I was actually going back to read 10 Days of Utah Madness when I found this trip. I can't stop laughing at that flex-frame video. I keep hoping to see more of Utah, but this works. I'v owned a 'genuine' 1950 brit bike, and never again. You must look at the photo at the top of the page of the RE cruising through the water with some serious contempt.

I have a large pile of pretty orange Voile's thanks to you. They are found at a Mountain Equipment Co-op (kinda like your REI I suppose), branded as their own, plus Voile will just ship them to you. Not a damn thing has moved since I got them. It's funny to see them all over your bikes.

Look forward to seeing more of these. I do it myself from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post

We found a hotel and the young man that was in charge of course declared "One photo! One photo!" The boys LOVE getting pictures on their phones of themselves with western women. He wrapped his head with Minxter's scarf and the photo shoot was on!! We started sticking in lurkers in the background for these photo shoots.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #177
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
I am really enjoying your ride report, you are an excellent writer, thanks for taking the time to post it.

And thanks for the new quote for my sig line.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #178
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Thanks boys, it's fun posting this stuff. As someone noted earlier, after India, not much will phase you. So true.

Don't worry B-Rod, Buurrt and I and a couple more of the usual suspects are gearing up for numerous spring rides here in Utah and we'll do a week journey somewhere. We've still got some routes where we'll need to lower the bikes with rope and a couple of river crossings that are too deep to ride which we'll need to float the bikes across. Minxter and her KTM 250 wants in but we'll do a more tame route with her. The big routes are enough to make the toughest crack. Can't wait.

Also, we're thinking about a journey into Central America next fall. We ride bikes as far south as we can get in 2 or 3 weeks and fly back. The one stipulation is you can't spend more then $500 on your ride! Buurrts got a Kawasaki KZ 750 twin rat bike that he paid $400 for. I've been looking at Honda Silverwings and CBs. Should be a classic journey.

More on India shortly.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #179
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
Also, we're thinking about a journey into Central America next fall. We ride bikes as far south as we can get in 2 or 3 weeks and fly back. The one stipulation is you can't spend more then $500 on your ride! Buurrts got a Kawasaki KZ 750 twin rat bike that he paid $400 for. I've been looking at Honda Silverwings and CBs. Should be a classic journey.

More on India shortly.
That's awesome! I've always thought a one way, however far you can get, beater challenge would be so fun. Maybe apply some rules like you can never spend more than you paid to keep it running.

Wait, you're kind of doing it with this RR, but I'm sure you've far exceeded the value of those piles.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #180
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
That's awesome! I've always thought a one way, however far you can get, beater challenge would be so fun. Maybe apply some rules like you can never spend more than you paid to keep it running.
Yeah, and you can only use second hand tires.......
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote