Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #181
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
...stipulation is you can't spend more then $500 on your ride!...
Quote:
Yeah, and you can only use second hand tires.......
Be careful! Be very, very careful!

There will be a whole thread here, full of posts discussing your every move, accusing you of cheating, speculating how Minxter could have surreptitiously flown in with replacement tires under the cover of the night and how Maja could have used Western Union to help you out with some cash. Sort of like the Dakar thread... ADVrider is a cruel mistress...
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #182
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
True RD, lots of conspiracy possible.

Day 14
We got out of Kargil pretty early again anticipating another big day. We were soon out in the sticks again.

The line of control between Kashmir and Pakistan is right on the far ridge. We could see troops positioned across the top of it in places.

We had traveled 20km or so and came across two dudes on a smaller Yamaha that were broken down. We thought we'd do a little role reversal by stopping, watching and forcing our assistance on them. The difference here was they didn't know anything about motorcycles and we actually did. I found out they had lost spark. I can't quite remember what the issue actually was but we cleaned the plug and checked the plug wire and got it to spark again. It fired back up.

These guys were coming from Srinagar heading to Leh. The one guy was selling Saffron. There's lots of Saffron around this region. Some military guys were purchasing some from this cat so we thought it was probably legitimate and we bought some also. Turns out it was bogus!! This guy was a scam artist with a scale and the whole bit!!

Our new friend was quite chatty and was really grateful for the help. He was getting too friendly thanking us with hugs.

He kissed Minxters cheek then LICKED HER as a bonus!!

We were scrambling to get going and next thing you know, my rear tire is FLAT!!

Now it's time for our buddy to return the favor!! Great. All of a sudden, he's a tire expert!! Too funny!!

Turned out to be another Class 1 puncture. We checked the tire and found the culprit. Probably overlooked this little bugger last flat and it took us down twice.

Well, with the assistance of our friend, it was amazing we got the flat changed. Kidding, we just kept at it, business as usual while he kept trying to get his paws in there and help. It was funny how he didn't pick up on the fact that we didn't need help. Oh well, we were moving again and coming through the occasional small villages.

The next leg was probably the most beautiful terrain we would experience. There are so many awesome photos that it's hard to choose just a few.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #183
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
after India, not much will phase you.
Or boring. I'm finding it hard to ride around here after India. I need a fix.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #184
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
The next leg was probably the most beautiful terrain we would experience. There are so many awesome photos that it's hard to choose just a few.
so don't choose a few, let us see them all...
Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #185
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,711
Well done report guys and girls. I quite like riding in India. I like to think of it as a Disneyland for aggressive drivers
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #186
macarron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Fantastic ride report. I've especially enjoyed the fixing of the bikes at night & drinking beer part. I'm also struck by the simplicity of the plan, riding rented old bikes and carrying light luggage, facing lots of problems on the road but getting never frustratred by the countless mechanical drawbacks.
macarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #187
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Awesome!
Great ride report, thanks for sharing

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #188
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 537
WOW!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #189
RockyRoads
RockyRoads

Oddometer: 250
What a fantastic report! Great story, and awesome photos! I love the "now here" term.

I rode a Royal Enfield two years ago through Bhutan and northeastern India. I actually grew quite attached to the bike (after I figured out the finicky kick-start technique, and got the hang of the switched rear brake and shifter). The bike didn't have a lot of power, but it had plenty of soul--chugging me steadily up into the thin air mountain passes.

Can't wait for more of your story and photos. And especially looking forward to the part when you return the bike to Smart Motors!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #190
coolgoose2
Old Monk

Oddometer: 13
wow

May be the best thread on riding in India

thanks for sharing your adventure
coolgoose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #191
Clayman
2004 KTM 950

Oddometer: 25
And the climate?

JoeMX:

Outstanding ride report! Could you tell us the months you were on the sub-continent, the temperature ranges, and the incidence of rainfall, snow, cyclones, etc?

Every report is better than the last. Keep it coming!
Clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #192
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Weather and what not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
JoeMX:

Outstanding ride report! Could you tell us the months you were on the sub-continent, the temperature ranges, and the incidence of rainfall, snow, cyclones, etc?

Every report is better than the last. Keep it coming!

We landed in Delhi on the 9th of August 2010 and we were in India for about 3 weeks. Temps were warm and moist. It wasn't overwhelming until you had to do some work like kick over a 500cc bucket of bolts 100 times to get the thing started. You can see in a photo on the 1st day of our ride that just by loading the bags and getting ready to ride I was just soaked. We are desert rats and don't really do to well in the moist humid weather.

We got into rain maybe 3 or 4 times during our ride. It was mostly in and around the foothills of the Himalayas we got wet and it did rain pretty hard going over Rhotang Pass. That was a mess.

You can see Joe and I are fully equiped with light weight rain suits, rubber boot covers and rubber gloves. The local assisting me with the bike bike is fine with bare feet and a turban wrapped around his head. You can make the call on that one.

When we got up into the mountains the temps cooled significantly. During the day it was quite comfortable depending on your altitude and at night we would put on a hat and down jacket. We dressed pretty light for the most part. Cotton long pants with a heavy fleece layer to go on when needed. The down jackets are great because they pack so small when in your bag and provide so much warm when under your riding jacket. The down also comes in handy when you are wrenching on your bikes late night at yogi's place.

This was our dress when we were hanging out in Keylong on an overcast day. I am in the full set up with Hat, down jacket, low top shoes and long pants(Whiskey for added warmth in right cargo pocket of my pants. This is critical at times). Minxter has a fashionable down jacket, yoga pants and flipflops. Joe mixes it up with down jacket and Shorts. Very fashionable indeed..

This time of the year you are coming out of the rainy season. I think it really is a roll of the dice what kind of weather you will see in the higher country. When you come out of the mountains things can get hot and I think if you are in a thick AeroStich Roadcrafter you are going to be miserable.

I assume this is the info you were looking for when asking about the temps and rain conditions....

Buuurrrt screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 08:13 AM
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #193
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I like how Rockyroad put it. The Enfields may be lacking a little power (and perhaps a few other things!) but they have plenty of soul. Soul no doubt went a long way for us cause I don't think the bikes would've made it without it!!
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #194
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron dingo View Post
so don't choose a few, let us see them all...
+1

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #195
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
+1
+2. This is a great report, thanks.