ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #331
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?
 
fredgreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown, Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 492
I had never considered a ride in India, but your adventure is bending me that way.....First Russia...
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #332
tracyprier
Adventurer
 
tracyprier's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Oddometer: 73
This has been a great RR :)

Personal experience is that you DO need to be mindful of who you sign up with.

If anyone is thinking of a similar trip and will be starting off from Delhi then Lalli Singh who owns Inder Motors in Karol Bagh has always had a first rate reputation for service and well-maintanined bikes.

Enfields are reliable enough.. if looked after properly and they DO need regular "fettling" to keep them that way.

cheers
Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #333
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 267
Best thread ever!
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #334
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
Nice chit chat back and forth here on east vs west. It is part of the adventure to see differences in culture. I hope I don't come off like "wow, I can't believe how bad we were treated" or "all Indians are lame and should be like people in the US". I shared the story of Myheap because it was part of the adventure and not to say "don't go to India because those Easterners are all kooks". You'll run across dishonest people all over the world just like Reryder.

Do I think Myheap should have initially said "hey, that journey is a stretch for these bikes and we're only going to cover some of the repair costs if they break down"? Yes. Do I hold all Indians to a low standard because of Myheap? No, of course not.

One thing I can say no matter where you are is that if you tell someone something you should be able to hold your head up proud about your statements. This was something Myheap couldn't do and you could tell he wasn't proud by his demeanor and actions that night. Perhaps he is a product of his "Delhi shopkeeper" environment and is forced into operating like that.

I'm not mad or upset or feel like I deserved better, I'm just telling the story. My experience is that if you're going to get some rental bikes in India, try to be as careful as you can in choosing who you get them from and beware that there are operations like Smart Motors who will tell you one thing and not follow through.
Thanks for clarifying that Joe. I for one, think you have kept to the high ground.

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #335
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roninwva's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Hurricane, WVa., USA
Oddometer: 467
Took me a couple of evenings to catch up to the story but I really enjoyed the ride. Thanks a lot for taking us along on your adventure.
__________________
SO MANY ROADS, SO LITTLE TIME

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #336
Petrolburner
Noise Maker
 
Petrolburner's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Redmond, OR
Oddometer: 537
Awesome report! I'm glad you guys didn't give him a bad impression of Americans by beating his ass out of frustration!
__________________
2007 Honda XR650R, 2005 Gas Gas EC 250, 2004 Sherco 2.9, 2002 aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord, 1993 Kawasaki KLX 650
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #337
azbrown
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 107
Great R.R.- thanks for taking the time to post it up. Your first Utah report on the KTM's is still one of my all-time favorites, but the adversity you overcame on this one has made for a great read.
azbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #338
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PJungnitsch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
There is a trick to dealing with this kind of situation.

Don't go WITH the bikes, just the receipts, and don't tell where the bikes are unless he is prepared to pay. If the person finally agrees to pay, you collect the money and tell him to come with you to pick up the bikes, if not, you tell him that you will meet him the next day as you are short of time, and walk off.

People WILL buy the bike without the papers, and if you don't need the money, you can simply trash the bikes wherever they are parked and move on.

It will be difficult for that guy to get a bike for the usual deposit amount
That is clever, and a way to sort the situation without much drama. They don't want to pay 'No Problem', head wobble, walk away and they'll probably come running with the cash. (Possibly screaming and yelling).

Have to say, New Delhi is not typical India. It is the scam capital and is noted for that. Probably because it has gotten a never-ending stream of newbie (and relatively) wealthy tourists for a very long time while the locals have stayed poor, sort of like Cairo. Scamming visitors has gone on so long it has worked itself into the culture as almost an entitlement. Fake 'tourist information centers', 'goo on a shoe', triple prices for train tickets, etc. I don't think I met one person who started out in New Delhi who wasn't skinned in some way. Nobody got hurt, but they all got conned.

Anywhere else (except maybe Agra) it was (relatively) much easier.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #339
CapCal1000
Uhhh....
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there.
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
That is clever, and a way to sort the situation without much drama. They don't want to pay 'No Problem', head wobble, walk away and they'll probably come running with the cash. (Possibly screaming and yelling).

Have to say, New Delhi is not typical India. It is the scam capital and is noted for that. Probably because it has gotten a never-ending stream of newbie (and relatively) wealthy tourists for a very long time while the locals have stayed poor, sort of like Cairo. Scamming visitors has gone on so long it has worked itself into the culture as almost an entitlement. Fake 'tourist information centers', 'goo on a shoe', triple prices for train tickets, etc. I don't think I met one person who started out in New Delhi who wasn't skinned in some way. Nobody got hurt, but they all got conned.

Anywhere else (except maybe Agra) it was (relatively) much easier.
Right,
In Mumbai for example they spend most of their time just stealing from each other and the companies they work for.
CapCal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #340
arn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Traffic jam capital of the world, Mumbai
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
That is clever, and a way to sort the situation without much drama. They don't want to pay 'No Problem', head wobble, walk away and they'll probably come running with the cash. (Possibly screaming and yelling).

Have to say, New Delhi is not typical India. It is the scam capital and is noted for that. Probably because it has gotten a never-ending stream of newbie (and relatively) wealthy tourists for a very long time while the locals have stayed poor, sort of like Cairo. Scamming visitors has gone on so long it has worked itself into the culture as almost an entitlement. Fake 'tourist information centers', 'goo on a shoe', triple prices for train tickets, etc. I don't think I met one person who started out in New Delhi who wasn't skinned in some way. Nobody got hurt, but they all got conned.

Anywhere else (except maybe Agra) it was (relatively) much easier.
Yep, Delhi is notorious for having developed that into an art form even for us Indians. Again, a good hotel (ask the inmates!) or a local contact can make it comparatively painless.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #341
say.gcett
sayantanbubla
 
say.gcett's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: India
Oddometer: 2
Cool2 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jishnu View Post
Finally a thread, I can really relate to and contribute to.....

About Royal Enfield....guilty as accused...true to the point, but it is pretty much among the decent touring bikes one can get in India (you also have a really nice touring bike in the Karizma ZMA with a 225 cc)...Have been using one or the other RE bike for the last ten odd years and the one thing I know for sure is there is a mech in every village (no matter how remote) in India who knows about RE bikes, (most obvious reason, the bike has been around for few generations with not many changes to boast about)...

The latest breed of RE bikes the UCE Engine (350/500 cc) and the slightly older AVL 350/500..are pretty reliable and do not have the nagging issues of oil leakage and electrical probs which happened to be a feature for the earlier Cast Iron Bikes....
1. Hiring RE in India needs a lot of experience (read communication skill to find out what is it actually going to be)
2. The bike shops doesn't have the new REs. If some machines are there, it is already gone in the morning @ high rent
3. The Leh trip organizers try to get their bike-parts changed in warranty by keeping the odometer wire out So it's life is really unknown
4. I am going to buy one used RE for my trip to these roads tomorrow morning
5. This is my first post here :)
say.gcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #342
Motobueno
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific North Wet
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyprier View Post
This has been a great RR :)

Personal experience is that you DO need to be mindful of who you sign up with.

If anyone is thinking of a similar trip and will be starting off from Delhi then Lalli Singh who owns Inder Motors in Karol Bagh has always had a first rate reputation for service and well-maintanined bikes.

Enfields are reliable enough.. if looked after properly and they DO need regular "fettling" to keep them that way.

cheers
Tracy
We can't say enough good things about Lalli.A wonderful man. My wife and I were referred by a good friend that purchased a completely rebuilt, 30 year old RE that was shipped to the states. It came with enough spares to go around the world!
We flew into Delhi and looked him up. We each wanted our own bikes and didn't want to ride RE's as to the weight.
He was so gracious! He set us up with a shop down the street and helped him with the paper work,as he had never rented bikes. We rented two Pulsars,I a 220 and my wife a 180. We brought our own soft bags and riding gear.The bikes were more than adequate for the trip(never got passed)
We spent a month riding in the foot hills(6 to 9 thousand feet)
I don't think that you will ever have a problem having a bike fixed! Last year I found stats that in July alone there were over ! million bikes sold in India!!!
Even if we were to break down it the middle of nowhere we knew that someone would come along and if necessary we could put the bike in the back of a truck to get it to the next town.
I have never experienced such a loving and warm culture as India. We were so well taken care of by all that we encountered.
Here is just one example-In the hills one day,My wife was leading.She cut a right corner a little too tight and had a low speed (You just can't go that fast)HEADON with a small truck.They were all paying attention and hit the brakes.She hit the truck but was just about stopped(didn't even fall over)Put a small dent in the truck's bumper.It was obviously our fault and we felt terrible .We offered to pay for the damage to the bumper and, THIS is what India was all about for us.
The man driving the truck responded to our offer and said."We couldn't possibly take any money from you-Your guests in our country". TRY that in the U.S.! We noticed that the truck was a political campaign vechical and made a 500r($10) donation and all was good!
Pryor to our trip my good friend gave us the best advice"Expect anything"To witch I added,And don't have any expectations. The more we could be in that place , The more India opened her heart to us.
NAMASTE
,
Motobueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #343
say.gcett
sayantanbubla
 
say.gcett's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: India
Oddometer: 2
Thumb great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobueno View Post
We can't say enough good things about Lalli.A wonderful man. My wife and I were referred by a good friend that purchased a completely rebuilt, 30 year old RE that was shipped to the states. It came with enough spares to go around the world!
We flew into Delhi and looked him up. We each wanted our own bikes and didn't want to ride RE's as to the weight.
He was so gracious! He set us up with a shop down the street and helped him with the paper work,as he had never rented bikes. We rented two Pulsars,I a 220 and my wife a 180. We brought our own soft bags and riding gear.The bikes were more than adequate for the trip(never got passed)
We spent a month riding in the foot hills(6 to 9 thousand feet)
I don't think that you will ever have a problem having a bike fixed! Last year I found stats that in July alone there were over ! million bikes sold in India!!!
Even if we were to break down it the middle of nowhere we knew that someone would come along and if necessary we could put the bike in the back of a truck to get it to the next town.
I have never experienced such a loving and warm culture as India. We were so well taken care of by all that we encountered.
Here is just one example-In the hills one day,My wife was leading.She cut a right corner a little too tight and had a low speed (You just can't go that fast)HEADON with a small truck.They were all paying attention and hit the brakes.She hit the truck but was just about stopped(didn't even fall over)Put a small dent in the truck's bumper.It was obviously our fault and we felt terrible .We offered to pay for the damage to the bumper and, THIS is what India was all about for us.
The man driving the truck responded to our offer and said."We couldn't possibly take any money from you-Your guests in our country". TRY that in the U.S.! We noticed that the truck was a political campaign vechical and made a 500r($10) donation and all was good!
Pryor to our trip my good friend gave us the best advice"Expect anything"To witch I added,And don't have any expectations. The more we could be in that place , The more India opened her heart to us.
NAMASTE
,

Wow !!
say.gcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #344
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT
 
pirate63's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: brisvegas,oz
Oddometer: 445
yeah just read it again ,awesome
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #345
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BOOGIEMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: East Greenbush,N.Y.
Oddometer: 365
nice report

GREAT REPORT AND PICTURES.
__________________
Sturgis 2013
Tail of the dragon out third bucket list ride
The Second ride of my bucket list nova scotia
Daytona bike week bucket list 2012
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014