Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #46
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
You all are very brave!!! I did a Delhi to Manali trip 10 years ago in a Tata jeep and feared for my life most of the way. It is literally a miracle that you can eat the food on the streets. My fellow travelers and I were not so fortunate
Thanks for the report-brings back many great memories!
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #47
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 204
Great Report

Just got back from doing a tuk-tuk rally race from Chennai to the Trivandrum in the South over Christmas. Was already planning for the next trip to be very similar to what you have just done, but maybe will need to think again. Love the people, the food, the challenge - but maybe the Enfield and the roads is a bit to much of a combo. We will see. Thanks again for a great report and pics!

jonnykilo screwed with this post 01-17-2011 at 04:14 AM
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #48
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
The girls were amazing on this trip. They held it together better then Buurrt and I at some points. They definitely coached us through some very trying times when we were at our wits end with those bikes.

This was overall a difficult journey to do on your own, unsupported. Don't bring your girls unless they know fullwell that it's not a vacation. You're going to work at it. It's dirty and intense and you'll be pushed to the edge. That said, the reward of seeing the Himalaya's is the reason for doing it and it's worth it!! The hardest journeys are the one's that you always remember.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #49
chuckh
Carpe Diem

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
The hardest journeys are the one's that you always remember.

Great start, thank you for sharing!
chuckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #50
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
An awesome adventure! Your stories had me

What a great trip to be taking with the girls. I don't think my wife would be that brave.
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #51
BillySugger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
You guys are nuttier than squirell shit.

Your choice of bikes was.......

Then again if you put yourself through such stresses as struggling up a muddy mountain pass on a shed that's trying to lunch itself it makes the descent all the more sweet.

If this is 'live' then I fear for you guys
BillySugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Subscribed.

India is on my list of places to ride.... Loving your journey.....not for the wimpy traveler for sure!

Keep up the great ride report.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #53
zain
slow and steady

Oddometer: 64
Wondeful
I was just thinking if the lower cc than R.E would be able to make journey to Himalaya as i am planning to ride 110cc bikes. Kindly advise me. Tq
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #54
Andyhorror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Amazing guys, cant wait for the rest
Andyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #55
mantan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Nice report guys but why do people going to India insist on riding used Bullets? They are rather weak even when new, but used, that too from a rental company, charging $17/day, what else can one expect? A decent rental costs $120+/day in US, Europe, etc. It may be possible to rent a new bike, maybe even Bullet, for more. Either that or take your own bike.
mantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #56
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, the Enfields are a mediocre bike at best in my opinion, even when they're new. We went with them partly because of their long India heritage. You know, there's just something about riding an Enfield in India. We also went with them partly because they are about the only choice for riding 2 up that we were aware of. If I go again sometime, I will do everything so as not to be on an Enfield.

At this point in the journey, the trip is just getting good!! Things get intense in Keylong real soon.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY 6:
This is what we wake up to out of our hotel. This is a beautiful place.

There was another group of bikers staying at our hotel. They were all on a variety of Enfields, a couple were rented and they had purchased a few as well. One of the guys knew the Enfields from a previous trip to India. He was not impressed with any of them either but he just accepted them as part of the journey. We would see half of them down at the local repair shop in a few hours.

Here's the local bike shop run by a Nepalese dude named Yogesh. He goes by Yogi. He's another mechanic that knows these Enfields intimately. He's also using the "Enfield mechanics triage technique", diagnosing and taking care of the low hanging fruit first. He's the only game in town so he's swamped. Everyone is waiting patiently.

We're up and I show Yogi the metal shavings jammed in the rocker arm covers. He starts to look for the root of them. We've got the timing gear and oil pump cover off and don't see anything that's obviously wrong.

Meanwhile, we're seeing brake pads being replaced on different bikes and decide to take a look at ours. They're metal on metal, both of our bikes.

This is low hanging fruit and Buurrt's bike jumps in head of mine determined by the "Enfield mechanic triage technique". Yogi's got a handful of young apprentices that take care of these common issues. His best man speaks ok english, Yogi has minimal english skills.

Back at my bike, we drain the oil and take a look at the various oil strainers. No explanation needed here. We determine the cylinder head has to come back off and we need to look at the piston.

We pull off the cylinder and the problem becomes immediately obvious. As I suspected a couple of days back from the deep knocking, the lower connecting rod bearing is loose as a goose!! The oil port to the connecting rod bearing in the crank is plugged not allowing oil to flow which is why the bearing went. I suspect that the bike was run out of oil at some point previous initially causing the metal shavings which would plug all the oil ports. This is totally depressing as the only fix is to pull the engine out and SPLIT THE CASE!!! We return to our hotel in the afternoon not happy at all about the state of my bike. We are getting deeper into the Himalayas and intended to go even deeper. We are now entertaining alternatives and adjusting to the fact that we might not be able to continue the direction we want to. We are weighing our options, not quite sure what to do about my bike that is total junk at this point.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #58
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
This is useful. We are driving a tuktuk across India and Nepal next summer and expect the same kinds of trouble. Tuktuks are about a reliable as Enfileds, just not as fast.
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #59
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
You know, there's just something about riding an Enfield in India.
Amen brother We didn't have nearly the issues you've had so far but damn if it doesn't make for good story tellin'

Carry on

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #60
flaldrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Unreliable Enfields

How are the guys at Smart Motors taking all of this with regard to the constant repairs you have to make on the trip. I am assuming that you have been in contact with them especially with this latest mechanical failure----rod bearing +.

Mike
flaldrider is offline   Reply With Quote