Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #76
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
Next time, no Enfield though.
Just a hunch you'll enjoy your holiday a lot more. There's much to see and do, and there are very interesting people apart from bullet mechanics

I don't think most people come halfway around the world to spend a third of their time in India exploring the inside of grubby roadside repair shops. At least, I've not seen any ads exhorting visitors to "spend three days in a muddy dimly lit shop floor surounded by flies and assorted oily, defunct bike innards to watch highly skilled mechs take apart and reassemble broken down bullets using only a large hammer and a screwdriver and feed you 1 litre of tea every 2 days at the same time"
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #77
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I don't think most people come halfway around the world to spend a third of their time in India exploring the inside of grubby roadside repair shops. At least, I've not seen any ads exhorting visitors to "spend three days in a muddy dimly lit shop floor surounded by flies and assorted oily, defunct bike innards to watch highly skilled mechs take apart and reassemble broken down bullets using only a large hammer and a screwdriver and feed you 1 litre of tea every 2 days at the same time"
To each his own I guess One man's adventure is another man's nightmare.

Can't wait to hear about getting the bike back together and whether it ever ran again...and how much the cost was for that engine rebuild
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #78
snurdle
The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post
This was our first experience with the Indian people who don't know anything about bikes wanting to tear right into the motor and fix the problem. Usually adding to the problem significantly. .

I don't think that's India's sole domain. I've had the same thing in Bolvia with a GS and California with an old car, everyone loves to help.

Great report, kudos for pressing on, bet you wish you checked the chain/sprockets and brakes before leaving just to get the wear rate. But some of the other stuff..... Honda have a bike called a "stunner"?

off topic.....Chanderjeet, where did you get that cool Avatar from?
snurdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #79
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
The nice thing about these small town garages is that no matter how difficult or complicated the job, they'll take a crack at it. Where an authorised service centre in the city may shoo you away making some excuse or the other most of these guys will repair ANYTHING motorized, from tractors to motorcycles.

If parts are not available, they'll improvise and get you on the road. Watching them troubleshoot and rectify problems can be a learning experience
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #80
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,128
I must have come across this thread while skimming "new posts", when all my subscribed threads were already read.

If it would've been just another monied bunch of westerners, buying new Asian bikes to enlighten themselves throughout India, It wouldn't have held my interest at all.

But two couples buying/renting already thrashed Royal Enfields, with full teardowns/rebuilds in remote villages and the trip is only just begun, SUBSCRIBED !

Seriously I don't do ride reports, it's just not why I'm here on ADVrider, but this one's got some real charm and certainly appears to be a real page turner. Safe journeys to all involved !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #81
rednax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Old pieces of yunk, but it seems it turned into a nice experience and for sure into a really good story nicely illustrated. Subscribed !
By the way, isn´t the long line of customers outside the workshop just due to the fact that India is crawling with longlived Enfields ?
rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #82
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
DAY 7:
We wake up and see the other group of Enfield fanatics off. They've had clutch work, brake pad replacement and a few other items taken care of. We'd learn that the Enfield clutch was one of the most problematic issues with these bikes as we'd start to see clutch covers off EVERYWHERE!! One of the girls is riding her own bike, pretty impressive considering the terrain and the road conditions.

We stop by Yogi's to check in. It's now the daytime scene with guys patiently waiting and lots of repairs going on. More Enfields stop in for this or that. Yogi tells us his boy is on his way over Rohtang and he's expecting the part late this evening.

So we've got a day off to take in this beautiful valley that Keylong sits in.

Keylong is isolated for the entire winter when the snow comes as the big mountain passes are closed. There is lots of avalanche activity and I could only imagine what it would be like to keep those passes plowed.

Here are some locals getting hay stockpiled for the upcoming winter. There was quite a bit of local farming happening around the village.

We walked around on little trails that wound down to the river with sites in every direction

This was the roof top of our accommodations. Great day to do a little laundry.

The people running the Nordaling Hotel were very nice and the food was EXCELLENT!! Tough to beat it's location also.

This was a great day to regroup, stretch, get our minds reset.

Buuurrrt and Maja took a ride down the valley to the confluence where the only gas station was.

We decided to have them fill up all of our containers so we'd be ready to depart when and if we got the bike fixed. Well, as I already said, we WOULD fix the bike no matter what and filling up with gas demonstrates that we were in the mind set of pushing on.

We were hoping to make it to Leh which would be as far north as we intended to go. We'd then work our way back south on a different route. With all the rain that had fallen recently, many of the roads were washed out. We would have to make a detour and lengthen our route to Leh as one of the big passes was closed. We were told a large section of the road was no longer there.

Buuurrrt and Maja climbed up to visit a monastery on their way back up to Keylong. Very stunning views from this little spur road.

Here's Buuurrrt taking it in, doing a mental reset. Awesome!!

We regrouped at the Nordaling and stowed our fuel. We went down to Yogi's to see what the status was on the part that was getting machined. He informed us it was done but the machinist wasn't able to get to it until late that afternoon and it was too late for Yogi's apprentice to ride back that night. He'd come in the morning. I was wondering if he'd make it to Kulu, get the part machined and make it back in a day, but things were coming together. We'd start wrenching again in the morning.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #83
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, we were also getting mentally prepped for the next big pass not that far up the road, Baralachala. After Rohtang, we were already anticipating a challenge. All you had to do was mention the name Baralachala to one of us and our hair would start to stand on end. (You gotta almost whisper it in an eerie tone: Baralachala!! BARALACHALA!!)
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #84
gs2008
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Excellent Write up. Keep it coming. Subscribed
gs2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #85
rogerdodger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
If there’s one thing I hope people learn and take away from India. Its that we are the only ones responsible for our lives and what happens in them. You can either live whining about it, or like the Indian’s look on everything good and bad with the same smile.

Baralacha!? its all easy after Rohtang

Malaysia and Thailand

Nepal

Back home Georgia to Florida

its not what I do, its the way that I do it.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #86
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well said Rodgerdodger! We deal our own destiny. I hope I don't come off whining about those Enfields. We chose them with prior knowledge and I wouldn't change a thing. Part of the adventure was the challenge of keeping them running. I just don't like em'!!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #87
TLTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
[QUOTE=snurdle

off topic.....Chanderjeet, where did you get that cool Avatar from?[/QUOTE]

I asked myself the same!!

http://www.hermajestysthunder.com/

and...

thanks for making the effort of posting this great ride report.

TLTom screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 08:18 PM
TLTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #88
thenation
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Suscribed!
thenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #89
coolgoose2
Old Monk

Oddometer: 14
Great thread..

Anyway I am going to ride Ladakh in my beast this summer..
Attached Images

coolgoose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #90
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
The newer 220cc's, Pulsar et. al., are much better for touring in India. The new Honda CBR250 will be even better, once it becomes available, I heard for only about $3000 in India.

True. That was my opinion. Let's not clutter this thread. Back to regular program...