User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
dazthephot OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Unserviceable Brembo on Tenere

Hi to all, new to Adventure Rider and riding adventure bikes for that matter so thanks for allowing me access.

I have a Tenere and have discovered that the slider pins on the front brembo calipers are seized. I refuse to believe that a solution beyond buying new calipers hasn't been found so I'm putting this to the forum as many KTM's share the same brakes.

Thanks in advance
dazthephot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,597
Welcome aboard.

Buying new calipers seem too extreme to me. I would think that if the pins are badly frozen in place, the easiest way to do it would be to remove them from the bike and then work on them on your bench. The pins should come out easily if you hit the caliper with a propane torch, very carefully, staying away from the business parts. Heat it up to only between 200-300*. It won't hurt anything and the aluminum will grow enough that the steel pins will drive out easily.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,299
first get the calipers off the bike.. Is it a push pin style or threaded? If push pin style, pour oil or spray lubricant in the pin hole on both sides letting it soak overnight on each side. First try a similar size punch and hammer then try heat. If that doesnt work you can have it drilled out with a smaller bit than the pin.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
first get the calipers off the bike.. Is it a push pin style or threaded? If push pin style, pour oil or spray lubricant in the pin hole on both sides letting it soak overnight on each side. First try a similar size punch and hammer then try heat. If that doesnt work you can have it drilled out with a smaller bit than the pin.
+1 My general order of attack:

1st - penetraiting oil
2nd - heat
3rd - light force
4th - brute force + cursing
5th - replace the whole damn thing

sprouty115 screwed with this post 10-20-2014 at 11:27 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,703
pb blaster and soak. last resort would be slight heat
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
dazthephot OP
n00b

Thanks guys appreciate your input. I should have some time to get the calipers off and see what's what.
The top pin looks like a solid pin, the bottom one is screwed in an does turn. I'll have to avoid damaging the dust seals if I can.
The previous owner was an avid jet washer so no doubt all the lube has been blown out.
I'm thinking that if I can get em out I'll file em a bit thinner and apply more copper grease.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
dazthephot OP
n00b

What a twat of a job. Done though with a shed load of brute force, heat and oil soak. Had to buy new rubber boots from Motorworks as the bmw 650 has the same calipers for 23.
Job done though and despite the differing opinion over red grease or copper etc I used copper as it's an anti sieze compound and don't want to go through that again.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Brembo can be a pain, the expanding collet doesn't go in very well once corrosion sets in though I've always got them out eventually.

Couple years back my friend damaged a caliper seal on a front brake, official line from yamaha was calipers must be replaced complete as a non serviceable part... 400 please

Erm no...few pounds bought a KTM caliper repair kit, the 990 rear caliper is the same as the Tenere front
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #9
dazthephot OP
n00b

Good to know that thanks. Finally got a break in weather today to take the bike out and all seems good. (new tyres on too so need a dry scrub in day).
Hopefully I won't face this problem again but if I do I know what to do and where to come for advice.
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #10
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I have a brembo on my Ural. It had 12k on it when I replaced the pads. No much trouble. I used a c clamp to push in the Pistons.
Sorry for you to have trouble on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk