User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
MoDoc OP
***oc

Oddometer: 21
G650gs' ers

I have a 2009 with 12k with progressive and random unstarts after fueling up from a low fuel indicator.
I have a progressive, random stalling (last time was 3x in 6 miles) condition in traffic.
I do delay the start procedure after the key is on but this last time a got the stalls anyway!
I am 12 days away from warranty expiration.

BMW has it for the third time in 30 days.
First time- "We will replace the fuel pump" (did not replace it as they were mistakening it for an F650gs)
Second time- 12k service and board reflash (from BMW)
Third time- Stalling in traffic continues and backfiring through "carb" (throttle body?) a couple of times on the way.

They are riding it to try and duplicate conditions. Nothing yet.

No reply?? Come on, are there any g650's out there with starting or stalling issues?

Feedback?

MoDoc screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 06:32 PM
MoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi

Yes there are loads of us out there with starting issues (when the bike gets hot). Have a look at f650.co.uk and the g650gs section. Not heard about the stalling issue but could all be related. There has recently been a new service bulletin about the hot start problem which involves changing balancing weights and some rod, sorry not technically minded.
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Mine does the same thing too. refuses to start after filling it with e-10 crap and if it's not hot enough. example: went out with it, rode 3 miles to the next bakery, shut it of, went back like 1 min later and impossible to start it right away. need to wait like 10-20 min everytime. now I'm waiting for a good deal on a f800gs to get rid of it.

not that I don't like riding with it, i'm very happy with my single but this issues for a 7000 bike is BS!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
bwest5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just recently picked up my 2011 G650GS from my dealer for the 3rd time for a random starting issue - it would start fine cold, but after riding a bit it wouldn't start. Per my dealership (RideWest BMW in Seattle) it is a known compression issue that is affecting some G650GS's. I don't know what they did the first time the bike went in, but the second time in I think they changed out a compression lever and the third time they stated they adjusted the lever correctly per BMW.

Hopefully this helps - it has been very frustating, but seems to be fixed now!

2011 BMW G650GS
2010 BMW R1200RT
2010 Ural Patrol
bwest5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
MoDoc OP
***oc

Update!!

UPDATE!!
Got the bike back after the three weeks. Here's the final instructions-
Basically BMW told the service dealer to instruct me to-
"Change my tendencies"
"Start to bike by this procedure"- Turn key to ON, Wait at least 3 seconds or until lights go out on dash"
"Push & hold start button (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) until the bike starts AND is idling" (if this not done properly, the bikes' computer will think this is a Kick-back event and shut the ignition system down. To reset, turn key off then back to on, again and start the procedure over)
"Use ONLY E10 gas" Failure to do this will result in exasperating this issue(s)
And finally, the dealer service manager said to "buy a bottle of BMW gas treatment, keep it with you and every time you fill the tank, put some of this in to insure your covered if you get into some "bad gas".
THAT's IT!
Anyway, I picked the bike up at rush hour, rode it home in massive stop n go traffic without a hitch and on the way home the gas light came so I stopped at one of my regular fueling points, gassed up, then trepidation, hit the starter (no problem this time). Since then, I have ridden it on 150'er with no issues whatsoever.

Bottom line-
Use the above procedure (precisely)
Use only E10 gas ( stay away from "mom/pop" fuel stations (they can add any alcohol to further dilute gasoline))
Use non-alcohol based fuel additive to cope with "bad gas" condition

Sounds like a lot SH** to me but I really like my bike so for now I will out up with it. BUT, if I get stranded once on any long trip, IM DONE!

Feedback?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
MoDoc OP
***oc

Update!

Been riding her for many miles and several fill-ups
I've been adding a little gas treatment to each tank and following start procedures exactly as prescribed by BMW
No problems what-so-ever(knock on wood)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
I'm glad it's fixed but i think it's a little cheeky of BMW to say it's your fault. I have a BMW single and have no issues with her no matter how I start her. I can't really see how it's your fault. Maybe think about removing the crap, the restrictions like exhaust, get a free flowing filter, remove the charcoal thing and get her breathing. Worked on mine.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
MoDoc OP
***oc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
I'm glad it's fixed but i think it's a little cheeky of BMW to say it's your fault. I have a BMW single and have no issues with her no matter how I start her. I can't really see how it's your fault. Maybe think about removing the crap, the restrictions like exhaust, get a free flowing filter, remove the charcoal thing and get her breathing. Worked on mine.

OK thanks for the info jtw triple ought!
I'm a set it and forget it kinda person but I will definitely look into the front end (air in). Lots of air in, lots of air out. I'm about due for chain & sprocket change so maybe I'll do it all at once.
Thanks again. . .
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

Oddometer: 46
I just bought a new 2012 g650gs and I experienced the hot start issue after a short 15 minute ride after I turned off the bike for a few minutes...the dealer said its just breaking in and so its hotter than usual and in fairness the bike only has 150 miles but it caught me off guard when it didn't want to turn over after trying twice, thought I was going to be stranded!
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Pissed

Hello all, noobie here,

I just bought a 2012 G650gs with 15 miles on it. I only put 10 miles on the bike and ran into the hot start issue. The bike would not start for two days. After having the bike towed to the dealership, the service manager called and said my bike would not start for one of thechs when out on a test ride and the bike indeed had the hot start issue. He said they will replace the compression lever and that should fix the hot start issue. He also said out of the 30 bikes " yes 30 " they had relaced the compression lever on that none of the bikes had returned with the hot start issue.
So we will see, I pick up the bike today 10/18/12. He also mentioned if they would had not been able to duplicate the problem after one week in their possesion that they would have gave me the bike back
PACK RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #11
blackhaz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Is this hot start problem still an issue? Rented G650GS from BMW however couldn't start it hot after stopping. After it cooled down, I was able to start it however it stalled on the red light and eventually left me stranded as it refused to maintain idle. Had to call an evac. Rumors are even decompression lever fix is not working as it should.
blackhaz is offline   Reply With Quote