Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 06:57 AM   #16
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrago
Is standing next to your KTM to kick it with your right foot kind of like sitting to piss?
So is using your right foot to kick considered :gay in America? The differences are so weird across the pond eh?

For example, here in the USA top loading washers are the norm, and the new-fangled front loaders are just making their entrance. They are getting play because they use alot less water, power, and even soap. But they are usually about 2x the cost :eek All the progressives want them because they are eco-friendly. I think that is great but add that the front loaders are also easier on your clothes so those last longer

Across the pond in the EU, our Greek friends tell us that front loaders are the norm but everyone is salivating over the "exotic" top loaders. They are much more expensive and use lots of resources to run, but man-o-man is the grass greener on the other side of the fence!

Oh god, the humanity!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #17
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I don't know why bikes w/out the magic button would need a different foot? Happe said his non e-start rallye is different too; what foot do you use Happe?

Plus I have been told not to kick start with the bike on the stand. I tried this once and even though it was the fact that I couldnt get the kick starter to swing (full compression :eek) that caused the crisis, the bike still tried to fall over as I was thrown off balance.

I will add this into the description - any nay-sayers?
Hi Meat,

For the normal start up in the morning or after a break I use the right foot, while standing on the left side of the bike.
If I stall it somewhere I start it with the left foot, if its flooded I have to use the right foot, left is not strong enough to kick 20-30 times in a row

Never kick it on the stand! It is not made for this.

cheers

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #18
Happe
Offroad Nut

Quote:
Thanks Stefan, I will add in that non e-start caveat. Could you elaborate a bit on the part I put in bold above? I don't know if I follow you exactly. Also check my original post, I edited in what I thought you meant. Lemme know if this is correct.

Here you go:

Quote:
6) Gently push the kick starter down one more inch (stop!) to get the stroke past TDC reducing the compression for the kick start,
This is the magic Inch you shouldn't use on my un-magic Rally

cu

Stefan
Old 01-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #19
Happe
Offroad Nut

Quote:
So is using your right foot to kick considered :gay in America? The differences are so weird across the pond eh?

Anybody who writes shit like this has never kicked a KTM Thumper for 40-60 times in a row.

How to kick a KTM Thumper in 25 easy pictures

and the following

cheers

Stefan
Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe
Anybody who writes shit like this has never kicked a KTM Thumper for 40-60 times in a row.

How to kick a KTM Thumper in 25 easy pictures

and the following

cheers

Stefan
I agree. What is it about things being different that brings the bigot out in us?

Nice series of pics, but none of them compare to this one:

holy belly fillers Batman!

Old 01-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #21
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,961
I'll preface my comments here with the fact that I rode a 1976 XT500C from July '76 thru Dec '93 ... that was MY bike, the only one, and since I rode a lot, I kicked a lot of times in those years.

Quote:

Kick starting thumpers
Before anything else: is the bike on and out of gear? Kill switch set to run? Choked if cold? Remember to not touch the throttle! ,Good, now stand on the same side as your kick starter,...
I guess on a left side kick this makes sense, but not on a right side

Quote:
lean the bike towards you slightly, and:

1) Engage manual decompression lever,

2) Kick thru several times with decompression engaged to get a fresh charge in the cylinder,

3) Disengage the manual decompression lever,

4) Lightly push the kick starter down until it engages the compression stroke (won't go down further),

5) Engage the manual decompression lever again,

6) Note: some of this step is KTM LC4 specific so you may need to experiment with other bikes. If you have e-start, gently push the kick starter down one more inch (stop!) to get the stroke past TDC reducing the compression for the kick start. If you don't then leave the engine a TDC (no extra inch!), ,...
I'm guessing there's a magic decompression thingy in there on the e-start model??

the idea here is to get the piston JUST past TDC.
the inertia from the engine rotating a full revolution before it hits compression is what keeps it from kicking back ... if it ain't going fast enough to overcome the compression
....you just had a bad day

Quote:
7) Disengage the manual decompression lever and release the kick starter so it tops out,

8) (Get Ready) Hop up and bring your weight down on the kick starter. Violence is not necessary, just a complete kick thru. If you give it a half-hearted, sissy-la-la, titsie-baby, candy-ass, rooty-poop kick... and don't reach the bottom, that the motor will take offense and try to put your knee thru your nose, ...
not necessary when you get the technique down

I used to stand on the kick starter, bike on stand, to show people how much compression there was
then I'd SIT down on the seat and kick it thru ...using the just past TDC technique

[QUOTE=meat popsicle] 9) Is it started already!?!

Mine starts very easily this way; even the actual kick was easy! Replaces cursing with a smile. It only took my friend a year of troubleshooting to refine this method...

Quote:
The fresh charge might be one of the keys, but I think that #6 is the real key; this puts the piston just past TDC so that the actual compression ratio from you kick stroke is lower than the full stroke's compression ratio. Even a high compression 600+ cc thumper is easy with this method.
gotta say I don't know what you're trying to say here
the compression ratio is FIXED in the engine design ... unless you change the piston, head etc

when that piston comes up on the compression stroke, it's the same every time ... what you are trying to do is get the motor spinning fast enough to overcome the compression with flywheel inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
it's been along time but basicly they have a little window on the right end of the cam cover with either a green dot or red dot. red dot is 180 out green dot is just past tdc. manual decomp no clicker . one or two blips on the gas roll it over two or three + ,times run it to compression stroke pull decomp just until green dot shows or you feel the release sorta, right hand on the cross bar so no gas, give it your best shot. After awhile you dont much use the window and go by feel but if you screw it up it will bite back
guess that came out after 1976 'cause my XT500C didn't have a window or dots
I did it by feel
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #22
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
I'm guessing there's a magic decompression thingy in there on the e-start model??
There is a lil lever just out of the way above the clutch that opens a decompression valve (which is automatic while the bike is running if it tries to save itself - CLACK CLACK CLACK!!!). Anyways, without the decompression lever you will hit the compression part of the stroke and the kicker will stop - and it will not go any further...

Quote:
the idea here is to get the piston JUST past TDC.
the inertia from the engine rotating a full revolution before it hits compression is what keeps it from kicking back ... if it ain't going fast enough to overcome the compression
....you just had a bad day
Yep, the extra inch gets the LC4 motor just past TDC. Other bikes might be different, that's why I asked people to chime in.

Quote:
I used to stand on the kick starter, bike on stand, to show people how much compression there was
then I'd SIT down on the seat and kick it thru ...using the just past TDC technique
Many have said NEVER kick a bike while on the center stand... even if you get away with it your entire doesn't make it correct.

Quote:
gotta say I don't know what you're trying to say here
the compression ratio is FIXED in the engine design ... unless you change the piston, head etc

when that piston comes up on the compression stroke, it's the same every time ... what you are trying to do is get the motor spinning fast enough to overcome the compression with flywheel inertia
I think you are correct here phreak, especially with a thumper. I should have said that getting the piston just past TDC gets the kicker past the compression part of the stroke. This allow it to be kicked. If you are trying to kick it thru the compression stroke, well, you might as well use your left foot

Old 01-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #23
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:

guess that came out after 1976 'cause my XT500C didn't have a window or dots
I did it by feel
77- 78' pretty sure close to there anyway. it's been since 83/84 when I had it. still miss it sometimes. Fun bike even with the sloppy shocks and wobbly forks.
Wheely's for days.

ater awhile the window crusts up with oil stains anyway making it all but worthless so it was by feel also.
come to think of it, I don't think I ever did change the oil in it
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:30 AM   #24
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
Wicked

Mine's kick-only and always kick from off the bike when I can be arsed to get off it. Tends to be after a stall in traffic that I stand there in-situ kicking away, only for my foot to slip and shin to be trashed (short boots) or to get a return whack if I don't run right through. I find with the length of throw, it's far easier to to do it off-bike.

But, I must confess to using the stand, seems to be tough enough to cope with my bulk and the dealer/mechanic does it every time.

Always had leccy-boot before, so no odds left or right to me.
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #25
Happe
Offroad Nut

Quote:
I agree. What is it about things being different that brings the bigot out in us?

Nice series of pics, but none of them compare to this one:

holy belly fillers Batman!

That is the "mixed grill" in a small pub in Rhyader Wales. I think it was 10,-GBP. We had it twice
but on two different days
It is perfect after a day on the "Monks Trodt" with 3 Adventures and a Rally.

Btw. its my pal Tom on the picture he loves to clean his bike

cheers

Stefan

I prefer to make it dirty
Old 01-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #26
RLK

Oddometer: 6,301
Quote:
(Editor's note: posted this in Blood Sweat and Gears, didn't get one bite, only 50 nibbles... is it a lonely place or does everyone already know this stuff?)

Actually you posted it in The Perfect Line and Other Myths, where I replied. They should be merged.

Moderators Cleanup on isle 3 please.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64737

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #27
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
This is funny, it might be the 7 vodka 7's I just had I am not sure.
I was lucky to learn how to start a 76 tt 500 yamaha when I was 10 years old,(it was a new bike).
all four strokes that don't have an automatic decompressor require "the drill" the old find the compression stroke ,pull the decomprsession lever and push the kickstarter maybe 1/2 inch then let the kicker up and give a long medium hard push on the kicker, keep your frickin hand off the throttle or it won't start or might kick back(threw me over the bars when I was little).
My girlfriend could start my 98 husky 610 and my 99 yz 400 with slippers on using this technique.If you feel you are not strong enough you need help with technique.
An old riding buddy of mine that can rip can not start his 4 stroke for shit because he will always twist the throttle without meaning to. Pisses him off when my g-friend does it for him.
Rootkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #28
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundlightKnight
Actually you posted it in The Perfect Line and Other Myths, where I replied. They should be merged.

Moderators Cleanup on isle 3 please.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64737
I didn't have the patience to wait for you to find my thread in that lonely forum... no biggie.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #29
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe
That is the "mixed grill" in a small pub in Rhyader Wales. I think it was 10,-GBP. We had it twice
but on two different days
It is perfect after a day on the "Monks Trodt" with 3 Adventures and a Rally.

Btw. its my pal Tom on the picture he loves to clean his bike

cheers

Stefan

I prefer to make it dirty

No Happe, not the mofo big plate of grub, the Guiness... a real "Pint" we don't get those over here...

Old 01-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #30
Happe
Offroad Nut

Quote:
No Happe, not the mofo big plate of grub, the Guiness... a real "Pint" we don't get those over here...
Uups, was hungry as I replied.
The "Guinness" actually is a pint of coke
But anyway, you will get this in every pub over here. The Guinness that is.

cheers

Stefan