Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #31
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Finding T.D.C. An old trick is to put the bike in gear(2nd or 3rd)and roll backwards until it stops and waala you are good to go.
Rootkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #32
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thanks for the tips!

For some reason I couldn't get my '03 640 ADV to turn over via electric start today, I remembered what I'd read here and got the bike to turn over via kick starting it on the very first try. Thank you Meat, and others, for the pointers!

Current ride - '09 DR-Z400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:54 AM   #33
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #34
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Kick starting the beast--LC4

I know the threads a bit old now but here's my method (because I'm 5 ft 6 ins and ride an Adventure).

1. Find a kerb or suitable point where you can get your right leg on the lever at the top of the swing--standing on the left side with the sidestand up.

2. Ignition on etc.

3. pull the decomp lever and keep slight pressure on it and SLOWLY turn the engine over on the kickstart---you will note that there is a position where the decomp lever suddenly goes really slack--and then GENTLY ease the engine over a bit further with the kickstart--about a couple of inches at your boot should do.

4.Let go of the decomp lever, return the kickstart to the top of its travel, no throttle--and give a firm swing--should start straight away first time.

To my way of thinking the motor is relatively short stroked compared to singles of old--and it doesn't have much of a flywheel to maintain rotation--the slack bit is when the exhaust valve is opening. By starting the swing a bit "later" in the cycle the engine seems to come up to compression when you are in "full swing" and likes this. Starting the swing just after TDC on the firing stroke (old singles) seems to result in you running out of engine rotation just at the critical moment (no flywheel, kickstart gear ratio etc)

Anyway --it works for me --and I've started bikes (LC4 SMs) where young guns have been kicking themselves stupid for 10 minutes or more.

Chris
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #35
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Hi Chris,

Excellent input. I like the technical basis you are trying to lay out, but I am not able to vet your theories. The theory I layed out was taught to me by a fella who taught himself while rebuilding some older Huskys, one a larger 4 stroke that was a bear according to him. Seems to work. I'll have to check back with it and see how they compare, but not today (hell'uva work day) - it's movie time!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #36
XVWDVW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Talking XR vx WR

The routine that I learned was pretty much the same as the outline at the beginning of this thread.
After I had been riding my XR400 for about a year an yz400 rider I ran into out on the trail taught me the "Ritual". The XR has an auto comp release so finding tdc requires more finesse, where his yz, and now my wr, you can't kick past tdc on compression stroke without using the manual release. To find it on the xr I had to kick light but fast so that it would stop in the right place. If you kick slowly you won't feel it get to tdc and if you kick too hard it will still go past it. After that it was the same as with a manual release; let the lever come all the way back up and give a swift, but not necessarily hard, kick and it would light right up. I keep my hand on the grip and don't have a problem not twisting but I learned on the xr so I don't have that 2-stroke muscle memory working against me. In fact I have more trouble starting 2-smokes because I tend to kick and then twist as an afterthought.
When everything was normal the xr started by the third kick or so but where the ritual saved me was when it was really cold, really hot, or I had laid the bike down. I went from 60-100 kicks after falling in a race to 20 or so. Adding a hot start reduced that to less than 10. The remote hot start on that xr took me from 15th place finishes to 4th and 5th. Partly it was time saved but just as important was the saved energy. I was so tired after kicking for 10 minutes that I could hardly keep the bike upright let alone race.
I still have a hard time starting my WR400 on days less than freezing after the bike has been riding in the back of my truck for a while but other than that once I learned the ritual and knowing when and how to use a hot start system, I can't see needing an electric start. 99.9% of the time I can get my bike started as fast as my buddies with the button or faster. A lot faster if their batt dies.
As a side benefit, my wr is dual-sported and you can't beat the cool factor of kicking starting your bike at your pit-stop of choice next to all those macho Harleys with their cute little buttons!
XVWDVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #37
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,567
the twist...

is vestigial ritual from our 2-smoke days,

it's only natural to whack it a coupla times then put a 1/4 turn on the grip.

ringading ding,

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #38
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Thanks Meat - I finally decided to give her a crack and she started first kick. It was so easy I thought I must have hit the e-start by mistake. Went through your procedure several times and she started 1st or second kick each time. I find it much easier to kick it while on the bike with my left foot...in case you're still keeping score.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #39
The Misinformant
What road?

Oddometer: 349
Mine (03 ADV) kicks quite easy using the just past TDC. I often sit on the bike and do the left leg thing.

If I am being slack I leave it on the CENTRE stand and stand on the pegs and do the left leg thing.

I have not as of yet done the "slapped silly in the leg" dance or the "how the F*&^K did I get down here" posture.

Funny thing is it is easier to kick warm or hot than sone cold.
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #40
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
Same exact method I use. works like a charm even on the chilly 20* mornings.
Just don't try that method on an old XT/TT 500 . it will put your knee into the bars and it will hurt for at least 3 days+
I know of people who ended up in a cast for weeks after doing that. I've always let the foot slip off the kick starter after I owned that bike, and the XT600 was not much better than the 500. Now I have a Honda - so far she's been well behaved, but I simply don't trust these motors. It'll hurt too much if the disengage should not work when it's needed
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #41
mortaru
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hey mates have you heard of some one converting a kickstarter only to e-start aswell.I own a 96 620 enduro egs but trying to converting it to an adventurer so that would be nice addon.By the way with the dellorto it stars easily after kicking it 5 times with the decompressor pulled and then the reall shot
mortaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #42
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaru
hey mates have you heard of some one converting a kickstarter only to e-start aswell.I own a 96 620 enduro egs but trying to converting it to an adventurer so that would be nice addon.By the way with the dellorto it stars easily after kicking it 5 times with the decompressor pulled and then the reall shot
Hi there,
to convert the engine to a girly engine you will need another engine case, another crank, another alternator and another gearbox to fit in the case.
For the electric you'll need another rectifier and another Battery and the switches on the Handlebar.

might be easier to buy a new engine or better a new bike.

cheers

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #43
Fantman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Kick starting a Duke

I recently bought a '97 Duke. The battery's a bit weak, so I have been kick starting it. It's a one-kick starter when cold, but when warm it can be a bear. I reviewed this thread and tried all recommendations, but nothing made it easier to start when warm. Any suggestions? The bike's only got 6000 miles on it, has a Delsnorto carb and Supertrapp pipe.The bike's been a bit neglected. I've been slowly going through it but haven't got to valves or spark plug yet.

TIA,

kjw
Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #44
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantman
I recently bought a '97 Duke. The battery's a bit weak, so I have been kick starting it. It's a one-kick starter when cold, but when warm it can be a bear. I reviewed this thread and tried all recommendations, but nothing made it easier to start when warm. Any suggestions? The bike's only got 6000 miles on it, has a Delsnorto carb and Supertrapp pipe.The bike's been a bit neglected. I've been slowly going through it but haven't got to valves or spark plug yet.

TIA,

kjw
kjw,

take a look thru creeper's valve adjustment thread. there might be some discussion of the influence of valve lash drift on warm starting problems. I can't give you much help on this troubleshooting.

your best bet is going thru the bike (start with the spark plug); there are a few discussions of starting issues so search in thumpers too.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #45
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantman

TIA,

kjw
If you have checked over all the basic mechanical aspects of the bike(no air leaks, proper valve clearance, etc.), look at the jetting. Easy starting when cold suggests a rich mix. Do you use choke?

MotoMind screwed with this post 11-19-2006 at 11:45 PM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote