Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #121
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingmouse
I dont understand what all the fuss is about , my 03 is the easiest bike to kickstart that I have ever had !
You must be 7 feet(3 meters) tall and do ballet and yoga when not playing football.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #122
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,100
kick it standing on the left side with your right foot while the bike is leaning toward you.. easy
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #123
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
no you don't get it.

When my 03 was new, if I didn't use the manual decomp lever to get it a little past TDC then all my 200lbs was nearly worthless. Even when thrown into the air and snapped down on the kicker the mutha wouldn't budget sometimes.

Now, six years later, with about 20K on the clock, I have little trouble kicking her through and don't often bother with my whole routine. And she still starts easy 'nuff, even if she's easier to kick through.

My guess is still diminished compression - its physics right?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #124
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
no you don't get it.

When my 03 was new, if I didn't use the manual decomp lever to get it a little past TDC then all my 200lbs was nearly worthless. Even when thrown into the air and snapped down on the kicker the mutha wouldn't budget sometimes.

Now, six years later, with about 20K on the clock, I have little trouble kicking her through and don't often bother with my whole routine. And she still starts easy 'nuff, even if she's easier to kick through.

My guess is still diminished compression - its physics right?
It sounds like your automatic decomp finally started working. I couldn't kick mine through when the auto-decomp broke. Once I fixed it, the bike kicked like it should ... and that was with a fresh piston.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #125
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
There's not a shitshow in hell that I could kick that through TDC-C from a standstill. I can literally jump up and down on the kickstart and she don't budge. 625cc @ 11.5:1 CR beats <150lbs.

I've been kicking mine for a couple of years - someday I'm gonna have to cough up the $500 to replace the start gears/clutch. But I can start it per the book, standing on LHS using right foot, or straddling the bike using left foot... but only using the manual decomp to ease past TDC-C to start the kick.

Losing compression makes the bike harder to start because you don't have such good combustion. Valve recession can use up all the clearance and cause a poor seal. Meat, as an extreme test, pull your manual decomp, hold it in, and try and start the bike... report back here. I guarantee it won't make it easier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #126
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 828
It is so nice to see so many who still know and enjoy the art of kick starting a big bore bike. I am 55 years old and still enjoy the process as I fire up the XR650R. In motorcycles I prefer simplicity, air cooling, kick starting, and chain or belt drive on my road bikes. Ahhhhh, life on the trails and roads as it should be.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #127
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Im only 5,8 and 80kg , like said before , stand on left side of bike , kick with right ,when mines been runnin longer than 5 mins kick with left sitting on bike , no probs.
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #128
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,976
I'm the recent new owner of an XR650R. I'm probably gonna need to buy new pants in the near future....my waist size is going down and my right thigh is getting huge. I told my riding buddies that I need to buy a manual transmission truck now to get some kind of workout for my left leg.

I've read all of the instructions for starting the BRP. I've tried them all. What I've noticed so far is that the choke is as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Has no effect whatsoever. I prefer to not use it at all.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #129
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
It sounds like your automatic decomp finally started working. I couldn't kick mine through when the auto-decomp broke. Once I fixed it, the bike kicked like it should ... and that was with a fresh piston.
Hey Luke,

shouldn't I hear clacking if the auto-decomp is... actuated?

I didn't know it could activate during kick-starting. I know it accuates when the engine slows down, but doesn't it need a bit of RPMs to even open up? Maybe I don't know the auto-decomp; does it start off open, and then only close once the RPMs rise above (what was it?) 1500?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #130
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
There's not a shitshow in hell that I could kick that through TDC-C from a standstill. I can literally jump up and down on the kickstart and she don't budge. 625cc @ 11.5:1 CR beats <150lbs.

I've been kicking mine for a couple of years - someday I'm gonna have to cough up the $500 to replace the start gears/clutch. But I can start it per the book, standing on LHS using right foot, or straddling the bike using left foot... but only using the manual decomp to ease past TDC-C to start the kick.

Losing compression makes the bike harder to start because you don't have such good combustion. Valve recession can use up all the clearance and cause a poor seal. Meat, as an extreme test, pull your manual decomp, hold it in, and try and start the bike... report back here. I guarantee it won't make it easier
Hey warewolf,

well my bike's still pretty easy to start so maybe the comp is good.

I don't like the idea of using the manual decomp to help start the bike; maybe if I was in BFE and couldn't get her started. But just resting my finger on the lever during running I can feel the cam lobes turning - it can't be good for the mechanism!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #131
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hey Luke,

shouldn't I hear clacking if the auto-decomp is... actuated?

I didn't know it could activate during kick-starting. I know it accuates when the engine slows down, but doesn't it need a bit of RPMs to even open up? Maybe I don't know the auto-decomp; does it start off open, and then only close once the RPMs rise above (what was it?) 1500?
Spring forces the lobe into the exhaust valve (rocker bearing?), keeping it open a smidge (technical term).

Motor spins up a bit and the weight opposite the lobe overcomes the spring pressure and pulls the lobe off the exhaust valve.

Kicking it over isn't gonna spin it fast enough to de-activate the mechanism.

I don't always hear a clack but I believe my mechanism is working just peachy.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #132
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Spring forces the lobe into the exhaust valve (rocker bearing?), keeping it open a smidge (technical term).

Motor spins up a bit and the weight opposite the lobe overcomes the spring pressure and pulls the lobe off the exhaust valve.

Kicking it over isn't gonna spin it fast enough to de-activate the mechanism.

I don't always hear a clack but I believe my mechanism is working just peachy.
Dang if I don't learn somethin' every day - But if the auto-decomp was open when starting wouldn't that make it (easier to kick through but) harder to start?

My auto-decomp seems to be working fine: when the RPMs drop too low the clacking begins and then disappears when the RPMs rise again.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #133
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,731
Guys,
When I think of all the motorcycles I have kick started going back to 1963 when I was 18 years old and bought a Harley Hummer, it makes me dizzy. I had Ducati and Aermacchi singles, god knows how many 2 stroke racers, all with weak ignitions, BMW twins that kicked horizonal to the centerline of the machine, a Ducati bevel drive that kicked down around and under(that was a honey). The only reason I am alive is that I never could start my street machine when I was drunk so I slept beside it.

Shit after you couldn't kick any more you tried push starting by pushing like hell, jumping on and slamming your ass on the seat as you dropped the clutch. The machine would fall over and you laid on the ground with tears in your eyes.

Ever get pulled behind a car on your motorcycle? Oh yah, still got the scars?

Yada yada.

All that said the KTM 640 is the worst, meanest, hardest motherfucker yet.
After all I have been through I stand by it.

I put mine on the centerstand...And stand on something to gain a little height even though it's lowered...course the battery is dead, I have a switch to turn the headlights off...I try not to touch the choke or I do then wish I hadn't...still kick kick kick and then for no good reason it starts, why is never certain, always has though...for no good reason!!!

I live in fear.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #134
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
I have other left kick bikes. Rotax Powered ATK's so I'm used to using the wrong foot.

But I had to kick start the orange Fiat (actually its black but who cares) one day. It was easier then I figured it would be.
Just pus the kicker down without decomp and you can feel TDC.
Now just let it return and give it one firm kick, still no decomp, it fired right up.
Had to do the same thing the next morning.
Half Choke, two kicks and it was running.
Easier to start than the TT600 mill. Mostly because the TT is geared to give you one stroke per kick it feels like.

I'm 6' tall but I have some girth. Kicking it is not an issue.
Now if I could ride it instead of friggen working on it.
Just like owning a Fiat, ride it today and work on it tomorrow. Just like my brothers Spider.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #135
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,100
arise old friend for LOW594
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote