User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
beechum1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,177
XR650L tranny swap 2nd, 5th gear Group Buy

I'm sorry if the title was misleading first of all, this is for the XR650L transmission 2nd and 5th gear swap out Group Buy from Engu-land. Not dudes with boobs.

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda USA ~40$

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda EU ~80$

5th 23491-MW2-780 available Honda EU ~170$

I have an email into David Silver for group buy, 5 and 10 pcs, shipping cost and lead time. Ghost Mutant & Barron - If you come across a cheaper place post up. I propose we move the purchase back. There are a few of us that aren't in a hurry to split the cases, BUT, with the lead times, we shan't hesitate. Perhaps March sometime? 280 bones is good chunk for me, maybe to others as well. especially with the other repairs and part i need to build this thing up like I want to. we can figure out the ship to, and handling the distribution later.

Interested:

beechum1
Ben99r1
tjrockit
Ghost Mutant
therealbigman
Bbasso
mendoteach
rufus

update 07 Jan 2011 : Hello, Thank you for your email. As we do not stock these gears we would have to order them from Honda Europe @111.36GBP (173.27USD) each. They have only 1 in stock and the eta for the other ones if you ordered immediately would be aprox 11th March to us. Shipping for 5 would be 32.00GBP (50USD)
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 11:24 AM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I'm sorry if the title was misleading first of all, this is for the XR650L transmission 2nd and 5th gear swap out Group Buy from Engu-land. Not dudes with boobs.

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda USA
2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda EU
5th 23491-MW2-780 available Honda EU

Ghost Mutant & Barron - If you come across a cheaper place post up.

I propose we move the purchase back. There are a few of us that aren't in a hurry to split the cases, BUT, with the lead times, we shan't hesitate. Perhaps March sometime? 280 bones is good chunk for me, maybe to others as well.

we can figure out the ship to, and handling the distribution later.
I am surprised it cost so much. But if you help me install the gears am in? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Who's in on a group buy for the 2nd and 5th gear?

Let's say 1 Feb order date. Ship it to one location in the US, and then distribute from there. Maybe I'll start a separate thread.....
Please put me on the list. I'll commit once I know the price and happy to pay in whatever way is easiest for you.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
beechum1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
let me tear apart my bottom end first, then i can commit to tearing someone elses down...
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 701
Quote:

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda USA
2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda EU
5th 23491-MW2-780 available Honda EU

Ghost Mutant & Barron - If you come across a cheaper place post up.

I propose we move the purchase back. There are a few of us that aren't in a hurry to split the cases, BUT, with the lead times, we shan't hesitate. Perhaps March sometime? 280 bones is good chunk for me, maybe to others as well. especially with the other repairs and part i need to build this thing up like I want to.

we can figure out the ship to, and handling the distribution later.

interested:

Ben99r1
tjrockit
Yeah I'm interested. I'd also like to see a group buy organized to convince Revloc to make a dyna ring for these Hondas as well Get enough guys together for that and I think the Revloc folks would bite.

Flatfender reported that it only took a week once he made the order from David Silver Spares in England for his FMX/NX gears.

However, I'm not interested in shipping speed. I'd much rather save some money on this gear order, so I second the idea of moving the purchase date back a bit to do a more complete search for a cheaper source. I have two Honda XRs that I'd like to do this gear mod on, so the cheaper the better for me.

If we don't get a decent quantity price break for the group buy, then I'm not convinced we are saving that much money by shipping the parts twice (once from England to the group shipping address, and second from there to each participant).

I have spent some time in google's advanced search to limit my results to certain regions of the world. So far I've got no leads for a Honda parts supplier willing to ship international. But I've only scratched the surface so far. Please help in this search effort if you can.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Yeah I'm interested. I'd also like to see a group buy organized to convince Revloc to make a dyna ring for these Hondas as well Get enough guys together for that and I think the Revloc folks would bite.

Flatfender reported that it only took a week once he made the order from David Silver Spares in England for his FMX/NX gears.

However, I'm not interested in shipping speed. I'd much rather save some money on this gear order, so I second the idea of moving the purchase date back a bit to do a more complete search for a cheaper source. I have two Honda XRs that I'd like to do this gear mod on, so the cheaper the better for me.

If we don't get a decent quantity price break for the group buy, then I'm not convinced we are saving that much money by shipping the parts twice (once from England to the group shipping address, and second from there to each participant).

I have spent some time in google's advanced search to limit my results to certain regions of the world. So far I've got no leads for a Honda parts supplier willing to ship international. But I've only scratched the surface so far. Please help in this search effort if you can.
I agree with the price thang, I'm in no rush myself, but yes , put me down for a set, or at least the 2nd gear, as I don't care about doing 100 mph on this bike.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post

Did I miss something????........I don't see a price listed.-------- How much are the gears?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
I'm also interested... but what is the benefit of the the 5th gear?
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

price

Flatfender said this about his gears in the XRL owners sign in thread:
Quote:
I paid about $280 for the two gears and I think shipping was $70 so about $210 for just the gears. I hope you guys get a group buy and a discount too. At the very least shipping will be next to nil with everything coming over in one box.
That was one year ago. I'm trying to find a different Honda Parts supplier somewhere that can beat this, but I may be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I would like to hear Flatfender comment on his gear swap and tell us if it was truly worth it.

My interest is in making the tranny gear spacing wider overall. Then changing sprockets to make the highway manageable (RPM wise). Hope that this results in a 1st gear still low enough for tough single track work. If not, then it would be cool to add a DynaRing into the mix to make going slow easy.

If you read this thread (Five speed vs. six speed) you can compare tranny spacing between dual sports:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

Changing the 5th gear will move the XRL gear spacing from 3.18 to 3.3 or so (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

I have an older XR, so I actually have to swap 3 gears, 1st, 2nd, and 5th to get the FMX tranny gear ratios. I've already acquired a XRL transmission from a junk dealer, which I paid $80. As it stands right now, it looks like I'll have to shell out lots more to get the European 2nd and 5th gears to complete my swap.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
beechum1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
.....If we don't get a decent quantity price break for the group buy, then I'm not convinced we are saving that much money by shipping the parts twice (once from England to the group shipping address, and second from there to each participant.).....
I submit that if shipping INTL is 70$ to each person, Let's say 10 people, that's 700$. If we ship it to one location then distribute, that's 70$ + ~10$ each, so 170$/10 is 17$ shipping total... ish. round math.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
beechum1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
The layman version, which is my version, is that if you drive on the freeway, it'll drop the revs a bit, so you can either go faster at the same revs as before, or have lower revs and go the same speed as before.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
beechum1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah I'm interested. I'd also like to see a group buy organized to convince Revloc to make a dyna ring for these Hondas as well Get enough guys together for that and I think the Revloc folks would bite......
Great, another grand to drop on the motor rebuild.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,668
Revlok

My clutch hand isn't broken.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
My clutch hand isn't broken.
Keep it up Steve......i`m just sayin

I think the NX 650 2nd gear at about 30-40 bucks bought in the U.S. is worth it.......but i wouldn`t put out the kind of money they want for the 5th gear change......i don`t do enough highway to warrant that...and its not reving very high at 60 miles an hour that i do on the highway..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote