ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #331
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Strange geology and strange contraptions.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #332
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Sopascat and I are on Stroms and we both report that our Stroms did just fine out there.

Meanwhile, behind that ridge, muddy mayhem was in progress.

Joel suggested some of us go ahead and meet up at Pozo Saloon.
We kept up a decent pace considering.

We arrived at Central Cali's finest saloon that was once a stage coach stop and other things before being a place to get a good beertini and listen to live music. Thanks, Weenie Head, for buying me my beer. That tapped out the kegs. Sorry, later arrivers. We drank the last of the draft.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #333
Surguy
redneck in clogs

Oddometer: 101
I missed all of ya by two hours. Figured you'd hit Pozo by noonish to two-ish. Oh well . . . but let me give you all one big Central Coast HINT : with all the rain so far this winter, this spring will be killer for wild flowers out in the Plains. Its a annual local pilgrimage. This spring should top the charts !! You all should plan another journey.

Surguy
Surguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #334
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

We stayed the night at Avila Hot Springs

Here's what was left of our fancy "steak" dinner that was delivered that night.

Next moring, we assess the bikes and their gear.
Johngil starts reporting on Facebook.

Super Suz screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 10:35 PM
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #335
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Kevin shows up. He's visiting from Illinois and he's familiar with ADV. He's got a sweet KLR. Yes, KLRs can be sweet.
And so is Kevin for making us coffee in the morning.

He suggested we check out the local twisties and so we head to brunch in Pismo and proceed to See Canyon Drive.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #336
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

All of the FF's (Fine Fellas) depart on their way home while Sopascat and I carry on riding around the area. We ended up back at Avila HS and Kevin brought us a glass of wine. We grill up dinner and soaked.

Next moring, we head home. I went through Big Sur and since I'd love to meet up with some ADVr's in Big Sur some time soon, here's a taste of that ride home.

Super Suz screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 06:31 AM
Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #337
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

nice pic.

if not for johngil...you could have seen spafxer's carcass in the mud that sunday...........

Well, we had a little mudventure of our own but because it pales in comparison to Johngil and Spafxer's complete and total mud-o-rama I'm not even gonna post a photo of it...I'm not worthy!

WoodsChick

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #338
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Well, we had a little mudventure of our own but because it pales in comparison to Johngil and Spafxer's complete and total mud-o-rama I'm not even gonna post a photo of it...I'm not worthy!

WoodsChick

Oh, Go ahead ! This is ADV

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #339
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
haba..haba....here is one of them.....

we only saw 3 peeps that morning...beautiful weather and awesome view. great to do it again this time coming from e. camino and lunch at rancho market in santa ynez...excellent tri-tips.

enjoy!

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #340
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
Superb... My first video footage...

E.S.

Quote:
haba..haba....here is one of them.....

we only saw 3 peeps that morning...beautiful weather and awesome view. great to do it again this time coming from e. camino and lunch at rancho market in santa ynez...excellent tri-tips.

enjoy!

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #341
liorsmotoride
Lior's moto ride

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
good job tom on the chase...but it seems the gs1200 was just as bad ass as the 950 on the plains of carrizo. john and lior who were riding gs8s were not too far behind.

that's one cool ride.

I could lead if i add knobby tires on my bike, and i know where we going
Parts Unlimited dealer and lot more
liorsmotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #342
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hababam View Post
Superb... My first video footage...

E.S.

That was awesome you were shreading the turns

I seriously didn't mean to put you through an advanced insane ride on your first dirt ride (+ snow & ice)
but It really did pay off, now I really wish I had a bigger bike so I could keep up with you
good job Ersin (SP?)
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #343
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
That was a great and educating first off-road ride. Thanks for the time and tips...
And we all know that it is not the bike, it is the rider. I still have a lot to learn from you guys. I know how you ride and I still can not keep up with you on any road.
Oh and the spelling is perfect...

E.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
That was awesome you were shreading the turns

I seriously didn't mean to put you through an advanced insane ride on your first dirt ride (+ snow & ice)
but It really did pay off, now I really wish I had a bigger bike so I could keep up with you
good job Ersin (SP?)

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #344
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post

WoodsChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Oh, Go ahead ! This is ADV

Wellll...ok. But don't laugh!

This is the main road-Panorama, I think- but through the binoculars we could see two 4x4 trucks and a BLM truck stuck in the mud with folks out walking around. We didn't want to get stuck so we didn't go that way.

No...we were smart and followed the fenceline instead...which led to an ominous wet spot in the road...

Eric dove off the edge of the road to go around the bog and was stuck before I even had "Don't try it. Go arou..." out of my mouth. The photo was taken after we dragged the front end around toward the road...

My boots were really cracking me up for some reason...

Headed the other way now...

Ok, I'll quit mucking up your guys' cool ride report now

WoodsChick

Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #345
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
NICE !

Yep that is the sticky mud I was familiar with on one of the crossover roads between Soda Lake Rd. and Elkhorn. Locked up my front tire.

The mud we were in this time wasn't too sticky on the tires. Just gravity mud sucking the bike and our boots down.

We need a good mud rating system I read about sticky mud on the Trans America Trail too... Scary stuff if you can't lift the bike.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote