ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #121
Lonestar2112
scatology expert
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
I see that this location, Jalama Beach, has hot showers and it's a first come first camp basis with reso's on the group camping only. Should not be a prob to camp there during this part of the year, I suspect.

On the other hand, that is a pretty good dealio on the Motel 6 at 50.00ish a night in SLO.

Would be nice to hang out with ya at a nice campfire, Jim. But Sopascat and I were PMing back and forth about the Motel 6 idea. That may change depending on the availability and other factors so it's up in the air.

Now all this talk about roads and offshoots and gas have me concerned that this is for the knobbed gnarly adventurists. I'll start looking at maps for this area and maybe do what I can to download a route on my POS GPS.

I need to re-read the postings for discussions about routes. I don't know the area or conditions of any of the roads mentioned in this thread.

Oh. I think I still have Dystansias on the bike. (have not looked at the label for a while)


SS
Suz, I don't know if we have ridden together. Cathy and I have a couple of times. I'll be on a GS with streetish tires. So if it gets too hard I'll be bailing to the street. PM Cathy and she'll talk about me riding abilities.
__________________
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...SKgzdmS9ir0XK3

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #122
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure View Post
Also: Looks like the route will roll by the turnoff from Hi Mountain to Upper Lopez Canyon Rd. ULCR northward is a spur but 10 years ago it was the most fun you could have with a 4x4 in the area (sadly, I had a street bike at the time). The length is ~13 miles, half of which is paved and half of which is barely recognizable s a road. There are long sections of riding up a running creek, a few small hill climbs, and generally what you would expect when road "maintenance" is done by flash floods and people with ATVs. Not for the novice rider.

This is what I'm talking about (point B is where the fun begins):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...88048&t=p&z=12

It's probably a 1.5 hr detour - maybe the fast crew will want to fit it into the schedule?

Of course, it's been 10 years since I lived in the area so it might be totally impassible now...

Jeff
I ran up ULC a few months ago after a bit of rain and the creek crossings were roughly over the top of my front brake rotor (not counting splashing) it has been graded, but the crossings are deep and one section leaves you in the water for roughly 100 yards with babyhead rocks hidden everywhere underneath. Muddy as hell even after rains due to the lack of direct sunlight from all the tree cover.

I was really looking forward to doing this whole loop with you guys, but do to some miscommunication with friends on a previously planned trip, it looks like I'll be in the desert this weekend
__________________
I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars - Jamie Laurie
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #123
ddennis669
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Carrizo Plains, California
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post

Now all this talk about roads and offshoots and gas have me concerned that this is for the knobbed gnarly adventurists. I'll start looking at maps for this area and maybe do what I can to download a route on my POS GPS.

I need to re-read the postings for discussions about routes. I don't know the area or conditions of any of the roads mentioned in this thread.

Oh. I think I still have Dystansias on the bike. (have not looked at the label for a while)


SS
The general route that the group rode previous years can be ridden on a 250 ninja with street tires. As long as it does not rain the day of, or prior, street tires work quite well on most of the roads out here. In fact, when it is dry and hard, Distanzias may arguably be the best possible tire.

The most technical section will be High Mountain Road into Arroyo Grande. If you find the Carrizo and Pozo challenging on your tires, just skip High Mountain and go to Santa Margarita, take 101 and meet everyone at Jocko's or where ever dinner will be.

It is slightly beyond 100 miles from Maricopa to Santa Margarita. If your range is limited, go into Santa Margarita from Pozo for gasoline, while everyone else is wasting time at the Pozo Saloon. I think it was last year that Cathy and I did just that. The route is low speed so your MPGs should be high. Strap on a small gas can. One extra gallon will go along way even between two bikes.

I regret that I have a meeting Saturday AM and I can not join in with everyone this year. I so enjoy visitors out here.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #124
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot
 
rinconrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA (Long Lost Canadian)
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
thanks cy.

that pic is where the main los padres national forest riding area hits the 58, i think it is called red hill road. there is great rolling singletrack to the immediate east for miles and miles. you can connect through to pozo road that way.

black mountain is still to the west. however i did not know that you could get to the top from the turkey flats staging area.

i think the start->finish pics you have take you by turkey flats joel, but not up black mountain.

wes
__________________

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #125
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"
 
sopascat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 3,724
Joel, I don't know if you have me in your count for breakfast, but I was kinda planning on it....

Me and Jon, Amber's going to sit out this ride
__________________
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.
sopascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #126
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
The general route that the group rode previous years can be ridden on a 250 ninja with street tires. As long as it does not rain the day of, or prior, street tires work quite well on most of the roads out here. In fact, when it is dry and hard, Distanzias may arguably be the best possible tire.

The most technical section will be High Mountain Road into Arroyo Grande. If you find the Carrizo and Pozo challenging on your tires, just skip High Mountain and go to Santa Margarita, take 101 and meet everyone at Jocko's or where ever dinner will be.

It is slightly beyond 100 miles from Maricopa to Santa Margarita. If your range is limited, go into Santa Margarita from Pozo for gasoline, while everyone else is wasting time at the Pozo Saloon. I think it was last year that Cathy and I did just that. The route is low speed so your MPGs should be high. Strap on a small gas can. One extra gallon will go along way even between two bikes.

I regret that I have a meeting Saturday AM and I can not join in with everyone this year. I so enjoy visitors out here.

hi dave, thanks again for the additional info....and the ride won't be the same without the ninja this weekend....in a positive way....




Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Joel, I don't know if you have me in your count for breakfast, but I was kinda planning on it....

Me and Jon, Amber's going to sit out this ride

cathy and jon......sorry we won't see the red head bride to be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconrider View Post
that pic is where the main los padres national forest riding area hits the 58, i think it is called red hill road. there is great rolling singletrack to the immediate east for miles and miles. you can connect through to pozo road that way.

black mountain is still to the west. however i did not know that you could get to the top from the turkey flats staging area.

i think the start->finish pics you have take you by turkey flats joel, but not up black mountain.

wes
you got good memory wes.....

not black mountain and now, i'm not sure if you can get to blk mtn from pic #1.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #127
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Just talked to the ranger and hi mountain is closed
there is a chance they will open it they should know on Friday
805 925 9538
__________________
I wanted one last view for the day... A place where I could see the water
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #128
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
thanks bob.

do you know if quatal is open? anyone there lately?

tia.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #129
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
breakfast in ojai

made reservations for 12 at emporium in ojai 9:00 AM.

we can add by friday if there are more coming.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #130
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star
 
dyvking's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Maria, Ca
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
made reservations for 12 at emporium in ojai 9:00 AM.

we can add by friday if there are more coming.
Hey, Joel.. about when do you think you'll make Pozo? I'd like to ride up and say hello and maybe tip one with you guys on Saturday.
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain Central Coast Motorcycling Weather
"The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure you're fooked!"
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #131
Super Suz
N00b with B00b
 
Super Suz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: alrededor de la bahía
Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Suz, I don't know if we have ridden together. Cathy and I have a couple of times. I'll be on a GS with streetish tires. So if it gets too hard I'll be bailing to the street. PM Cathy and she'll talk about me riding abilities.
Street tires! It's going to add another dimension to this ride!

I did the White Mtn main road on street tires. I travel slow and that's how I do it.

Might end up showing up for the dessert course.
__________________
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #132
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconrider View Post
that pic is where the main los padres national forest riding area hits the 58, i think it is called red hill road. there is great rolling singletrack to the immediate east for miles and miles. you can connect through to pozo road that way.

black mountain is still to the west. however i did not know that you could get to the top from the turkey flats staging area.

i think the start->finish pics you have take you by turkey flats joel, but not up black mountain.

wes
Depending on what bikes you're riding, be careful where you turn and what trail you take in there. Wes ran through there about five days before I did after we parted ways south of San Francisco, and he found some great singletrack that connects right through to the Pozo road, and you end up basically a few miles east of the Turkey Flats staging area.

I was alone, and took a wrong turn on my way through, and headed east on a tiny little goat path marked "Motorcycles Only", or something like that. IIRC, it was maybe the second left-hand turn that I took after entering Red Hill road from Hwy 58.

After a nasty little tight, boulder-strewn downhill, the trail turned into this:




Then crawled along the side of a steep sidehill




Which was all more or less ok, but a bit nerve wracking alone, but the final blow was that the trail, after a bunch more of the same, finished with one of the more difficult hillclimbs I've encountered (especially alone, with a full touring load strapped on the back and a very, very worn out MT21 rear tire). The first part of the climb to that little plateau is a piece of cake - it's the final 4-500 metres that claws its way up to the fire road way up in the distance which is killer.




I made it most of the way up the hillclimb to this point




It was so steep, loose, and rocky that there was no going forward. Any power to the bike would just threaten to loop the front end (if I had any traction). After a few failed attempts to run the bike up, I had to unload it all on the side of the hill, pray to the dual-sport gods, offer a sacrificial piston, and will it up the rest of the way to the fireroad.

That being said, it would be a pretty fun trail on an unloaded dirt bike. Gotta go back there some time...

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #133
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
Hey, Joel.. about when do you think you'll make Pozo? I'd like to ride up and say hello and maybe tip one with you guys on Saturday.

how are you doing walt? it will be great to see you.


my guess before 3pm we'll be rolling in pozo. hang out for a short bit, then take turkey flats to the 58.

i would like to think we can go to jocko's for dinner.

those without hotel reservations...bring your sleeping bag and we can get you in our rooms. no sleepwalking....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #134
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Depending on what bikes you're riding, be careful where you turn and what trail you take in there. Wes ran through there about five days before I did after we parted ways south of San Francisco, and he found some great singletrack that connects right through to the Pozo road, and you end up basically a few miles east of the Turkey Flats staging area.

I was alone, and took a wrong turn on my way through, and headed east on a tiny little goat path marked "Motorcycles Only", or something like that. IIRC, it was maybe the second left-hand turn that I took after entering Red Hill road from Hwy 58.

After a nasty little tight, boulder-strewn downhill, the trail turned into this:




Then crawled along the side of a steep sidehill




Which was all more or less ok, but a bit nerve wracking alone, but the final blow was that the trail, after a bunch more of the same, finished with one of the more difficult hillclimbs I've encountered (especially alone, with a full touring load strapped on the back and a very, very worn out MT21 rear tire). The first part of the climb to that little plateau is a piece of cake - it's the final 4-500 metres that claws its way up to the fire road way up in the distance which is killer.




I made it most of the way up the hillclimb to this point




It was so steep, loose, and rocky that there was no going forward. Any power to the bike would just threaten to loop the front end (if I had any traction). After a few failed attempts to run the bike up, I had to unload it all on the side of the hill, pray to the dual-sport gods, offer a sacrificial piston, and will it up the rest of the way to the fireroad.

That being said, it would be a pretty fun trail on an unloaded dirt bike. Gotta go back there some time...

dc


riding solo and good find....wow....

yeah, we need to hook up and look for that trail again. just remind me, bring a smaller bike...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #135
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot
 
rinconrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA (Long Lost Canadian)
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
riding solo and good find....wow....

yeah, we need to hook up and look for that trail again. just remind me, bring a smaller bike...
i know exactly which way countrydoc went. but i wouldn't try the last bit loaded or unloaded. i saw it personally from the top since i hooked back around and decided i couldn't go that way because there was no way i could come back up if i needed to. BIG rocks, loose and steeeep.

i'll stick to this stuff i took through lpnf, it was great.



wes
__________________

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014