Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,438
Is this a good sidecar design for a honda helix or not?

I had a sidecar shop send me these pictures of honda helix sidecar them made. Is the design good or not? next to the fact it's made for europe I don't see much wrong with it but I ve been wrong at least onces in my life.
thanks guys.
d
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Hi Fullmetalscooter,
Is it biased that I am answering your question, seeings i am the sender of them? hahaha. It was for Japan, they used the Helix ( known as the Fusion in Japan) and this frame to build an replica of the Krauser Domani which they made smaller and used the Helix and called it the Omicron. Here is the only thing I could find to show you other than digging through tons of old pictures at the shop.

http://www.ageofmmorpg.ru/view.php?v...BD%B8%EF%BE%9E

The Krauser Domani is here for visual referance:

http://www.3wheelers.com/krauser.html

Not shown in the picture is a front strut that goes up to down tube of the Helix. There is next to no frame on the bike and this one strut stops front to back movement of the frame. The reason that the toe in adjustment is made right at the wheel is because you cannot toe in a fixed frame with a one piece sidecar/bike body or on anything with only one upper strut and cradle mount at the bottom mount so you must only move the wheel. The middle picture is the first prototype frame that was done without any adjustment, then we built this frame and it was shipped to Japan as a plug to build a jig around (hence the reason it is only tacked). Feel free to fire any questions to us.
Brock Smith
Side Effects

brockoli screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 09:32 PM
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter OP

[QUOTE=brockoli;14864206]Hi Fullmetalscooter,
Is it biased that I am answering your question, seeings i am the sender of them? hahaha. 4

hay at least you said something. Can't fault me for asking about it here. So yah it's a small world. I ll call sometime this week. Seen picture of that but didn't know what it was before.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockoli View Post
Not shown in the picture is a front strut that goes up to down tube of the Helix. There is next to no frame on the bike and this one strut stops front to back movement of the frame. The reason that the toe in adjustment is made right at the wheel is because you cannot toe in a fixed frame with a one piece sidecar/bike body or on anything with only one upper strut and cradle mount at the bottom mount so you must only move the wheel.
Brock Smith
Side Effects
Judging from my knowledge as a mechanical engineer (and having played with a Helix a former GF owned), I would say that this basic frame design is plenty strong for the size of the scooter, and the undercradle design has been used for scooter sidecar for ages.
Most of those simply use two horizontal spars reaching under the frame with no diagonal/upright braces. (see Texas Sidecar's scooter unit for an example...) So having an additional diagonal support is a plus.

I have always liked the idea of being able to set/adjust the sidecar wheel toe right at the spindle. It makes setup a breeze, allowing you to easily fine tune it without playing with three, four, or more strut all in separate planes of motion.

Finally, Side Effects is a well known shop with an established and deserved reputation for quality work.

I think you are in good hands and look forward to the build report and hearing how it works!
A scooter hack has always appealed to me as an economical alternative to always needing to take out the "big gun" just for a short local trip.

Keep us posted!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter OP

when I come into some money latter this year I ll get there help to build it. For me a bike isn't a toy but the only way to get around and if i have a way to do that safely in winter so be it.