Yes I would buy one 411 82.86%
Nope not interested 47 9.48%
Why mess with a good thing 38 7.66%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,891
A KLR twin sounds awesome but, theres no Kawi will ever make one and make a profit for an $8K price tag without putting cheap components on there to keep down the price, components that we would complain about for years to come.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
My vote was yes, but it would have to be light and I mean lighter than the current KLR. No funking bodywork either! Tank shrouds... seriously! It MUST also have an off-road suspension. Think dirtbike with a parallel-twin. Like many others here I just don't think that Kawasaki will manufacture something like this. They're hoping that people will buy both a Versys, a KLR and then a KX250F or 450 to ride off-road. Why would they make one motorcycle that would do everything? Unfortunately, that's the bike that I want. I'm probably in the minority but what's wrong with wanting a true dualsport?

My KLRE650 is in the conversion process. I should have it back sometime in early Spring!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
take away Versys sales????

I don't think so. The fact is some people will still buy the Versys just because they want a cheap sports bike. Those people will never go off road. And honestly the Versys wasn't made to go off road. I know it can be made to but that's not what Kawasaki had in mind when they made it. Its a entry level sports bike that can do some touring.

Having the Versys and this new KLR twin would be like Triumph selling its 2 new 800. Ones for the street and ones for trail. The thing is Kawasaki is behind the curve,we all know that. Maybe if we get more people to say yes (alot more) I can email them this and they may MAY listen. Its worth a shot because I'm trying to build this bike myself BUT for the less mechanically inclined this would be a great bike. Not to mention Kawasaki would sell a crap load of them if they built it right.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,249

My KLR produces less power than a wind up top , handles like a epileptic water buffalo in heat, looks like a female liberal democrat, takes longer to stop than the Titanic, and shifts like a steam locomotive.

I love the damn thing.

It's got CHARACTER!

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
repsolrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post

My KLR produces less power than a wind up top , handles like a epileptic water buffalo in heat, looks like a female liberal democrat, takes longer to stop than the Titanic, and shifts like a steam locomotive.

I love the damn thing.

It's got CHARACTER!

Fell off my chair. That's the best description ever. I love the single as well.
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
I won't repeat, I'll just agree. To pricey, to much competition for Versys.

My own personal opinon if Kawi had built the twin everyone asks for from the start, KLR's would not have the following they do now. The number 1 reason KLR's sell and are so popular is price.....period. They do all kinds of jobs for a cheap price, jack of all trades but a master of none and at that price point that's the way it always will be. I own one because it's cheap granted I didn't buy anywhere near new but cheap new = cheap used. I don't see myself ever owning a KTM, BMW, Tiger heck even a Versys I'm just to cheap and I have zero doubts that 60% of guys out there buying KLR's are just like me. Kawi knows this. It's like buying a Yaris and complaining it doesn't handle or haul butt like a WRX. I'm not knocking anyone for wishing Kawi would make this bike, I just think you are going to have to modify it yourself or buy something else, Versys etc and modify it more to offroad. I don't think you are ever going to get both. You can't have your cake and eat it to.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

I'm Confused.......

Some say they wouldn't pay $8k (Max) for this "bike" because its to much money. I remind you that I did say $8k was the maximum amount. I also want to point out that the Versys, Ninja 650, ER-6n are all around $7600. So I think my ballpark price is fair. And lastl y this "bike" would certainly compete against the "middle weight " class from BMW,Triumph ( I'm sure I'm missing other manufacturers ). At $8k for a new bike with a twin that has a mininium of 65 HP, a better suspension, way under 500lbs. tons of aftermarket support, and a dealer in every average sized city in the U.S.A, and low cost of ownership it would definitely contend with the others brands.

And to the comment about cheaply made.....the KLR is cheap to buy and maintain everybody knows that. But don't let the newness of the Versys and ER-6n fool you because they look and are cheaply made too. Just look at the price tag.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oh and I would like to see anyone buy a new 800 for $8k. Its not going to happen. Look I'm not trying to start a argument with this poll. Will Kawasaki build this bike......?doubt it. I intend to but I thought if this poll was successful and emailed to Kawasaki then it may get the ball rolling more quickly. I can promise you one thing, Kawasaki is watching Yamaha and their Super Tenere sales. I bet that if Yamaha sells a boatload of Super Tenere then Kawasaki will respond with something. It only makes sense however in the mean time I'll enjoy my build
Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Kawasaki sells quite a few KLR650s, yet Yamaha completely ignores that segment of the market here in the US. They failed to bring the Yamaha Tenere to the US market based on price alone. I was involved in the poll and letter writing compaign to bring it to the US and nothing ever came of it. Went so far as to call Yamaha USA numerous times and I was the first in line at my local Yamaha dealership if it did come. Nothing, napa, zip! I'll never own another Yamaha because of it. In fact, I sold my Yamaha bikes because of it.

My hat is off to you for trying but the bottomline is they just don't care about the US market! Everybody here is buying cruisers and sportbikes. Our segment doesn't buy enough bikes to matter to them.

SamM
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
That's the one!

I'm a returning rider, and I've been looking around for a bike. I've gone back and forth between the KLR and the DL650 dozens of times. I read the "Rio" build thread and realized that this was the perfect bike for me...a KLR that wouldn't run out of power.

The $8000 price tag sounds a little high, but something comparable with a Versys price tag would work fine. I don't even mind the '08+ bodywork on the current KLR, although something trimmer would be nice. Shoehorn the Versys motor into the current KLR, and instead of prowling Craigslist for a good deal on a used starter bike I'd suddenly be in the market for a brand-new Kawasaki.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,891
I feel that there is a business opp for somebody to build these. How hard can it be with the right people and equipment. Kawi have given you all the parts, now all you have to do is put them together.
I personally think that an early model KTM with a suzuki 650 V or a Kawi P twin would be the ideal setup. KTM suspension/frame and Jap realibility. I know it takes the KLR out of the pic but you do get the same desired effect.

Take an early model KTM 950, you know the ones with the problems, strip it down to the frame, drop in a nice mid sized Jap motor in there and build a simple bike around it. No ABS, no BS, just a motor, frame and Dakar fairing.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
SamM
Jeep Overlander

When I was considering this swap, I looked hard at the KTM 950. There's one sitting in my shop. It just didn't make any sense. It has the wrong type of frame. The trellis frame is for racing bikes not off-road adventure bikes. That's where KTM went wrong with it. That and using the V-twin engine. The 950 is too long. The fuel tanks are fragile. It's heavy. I could go on. If I was going to put a new engine in the KTM it would be something much, much different. I'll probably just sell it someday.

The KLR frame makes more sense for this engine.

SamM
Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #28
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
I voted yes for sure.
I just looked up today's exchange rate for =$
I cant belive so many people would have an issue with the proposed bike selling for 8000$ (or 5166).
The kawa paralell twin is a proven motor, if we are assuming it has decent (off-road able) suspension and a good size tank surely it would be a steal at that price...

What about asking for a versys xc instead?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #29
kens_Moto650
Top end explorer

Oddometer: 31
KLR650 super rio

Hey guys, if I could throw an aussies opinion into the mix,
I voted yes, but Im interested in this thread because I seriously considered buying a versys and then I bought a KLR, But I think kawasaki completely missed the mark with the versys, yet the bike was so close to being something like the Super-RIO, (no dis-respect to versys owners) I mean whats with the cast wheels and the stumpy under-engine exhaust, c-mon kawasaki, we've already the got the ninja ER6F if we wanna go road touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
There is only one Veresys Adventure

So which would be easier or more cost effective, re-engineer the versys into something like the above pic, or power up the current KLR?

kens_Moto650 screwed with this post 01-07-2011 at 03:27 AM Reason: forgot some words.
kens_Moto650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,039
We had a similar thread a few months back -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628189

There seems to be missing a low weight twin. The only problem I see with a KLR650 twin is that it won't be light enough or cheap enough to make it worth stepping down from a Tiger 800 or BMW 800GS.

What I would like to see from Kawasaki is the new 250S engine turned into a 500cc twin and put into, not an adventure bike, but a real dual sport bike that gets close to 300 lbs dry.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote