ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Kawasaki Parallel Twin Poll
Yes I would buy one 411 82.86%
Nope not interested 47 9.48%
Why mess with a good thing 38 7.66%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #31
nomosnow
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 114
"The only problem I see with a KLR650 twin is that it won't be light enough or cheap enough to make it worth stepping down from a Tiger 800 or BMW 800GS."

I don't know if it would be "stepping" down at all from those bikes . The BMW has issues well documented at this forum and the Triumph is a new comer with a rake like a sport bike built by a company that has zero dual purpose dirt bike experience
nomosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
KLRnit OP
Adventurer
 
KLRnit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomosnow View Post
"The only problem I see with a KLR650 twin is that it won't be light enough or cheap enough to make it worth stepping down from a Tiger 800 or BMW 800GS."

I don't know if it would be "stepping" down at all from those bikes . The BMW has issues well documented at this forum and the Triumph is a new comer with a rake like a sport bike built by a company that has zero dual purpose dirt bike experience

I don't know about you guys but I can pick up my KLR with a full tank of gas no problem. If Kawasaki did build this bike I would image its wet weight around 465-475 lbs. The Versys engine only weighs a little more than the KLR single. I

Handling Offroad....my bike is completely stock and I can handle it just fine. I can do doughnuts on it in dirt (hence why I can pick it up).. So I can only imagine a better suspension could only help
__________________
2009 Ebony KLR650
Wish list: KLX450 forks with Emig Racing front end conversion, KLE650 VERSYS engine swap,rear long travel shock, and a butt load of your typical "bolt-on's !!!!"
KLRnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #33
welder
Beastly Adventurer
 
welder's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: paradise
Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
I feel that there is a business opp for somebody to build these. How hard can it be with the right people and equipment. Kawi have given you all the parts, now all you have to do is put them together.
I personally think that an early model KTM with a suzuki 650 V or a Kawi P twin would be the ideal setup. KTM suspension/frame and Jap realibility. I know it takes the KLR out of the pic but you do get the same desired effect.

Take an early model KTM 950, you know the ones with the problems, strip it down to the frame, drop in a nice mid sized Jap motor in there and build a simple bike around it. No ABS, no BS, just a motor, frame and Dakar fairing.
the problem is that buying new motors and such from Kawasaki is a really expensive proposition. You really need a healthy supply of used motors or it wouldnt be profitable
__________________
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #34
NONAME13
NONAME13
 
NONAME13's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 99 NORTH
Oddometer: 181
klr too late

Sorry won't happen kawasaki missed the bus a long time ago. I have owned 3 klrs 2 with many mods I still like them its just by the time you add the cost of the mods you could buy a better bike or 2 good older bikes just saying thats all. What gets me most about kawasaki is they spend so much time and money on ninjas and lime green paint. I would not kick a c14 out of my bed however they seem to be goinng down the path of Honda now downward.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #35
aussie ttoad
T.T.O.A.D
 
aussie ttoad's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Sutherland Shire, Australia
Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Sounds like a great idea, I have often thought about a DL650 engine in a DR650 frame
aussie ttoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #36
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,695
kawasaki already have the kle 500 it would surely be easy to drop a versys motor into one of them(and the big tank from the klr)
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #37
KLRnit OP
Adventurer
 
KLRnit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 61
Cry An all to familiar update

Went to the local Kawasaki dealer to look at the parallel twins and what all I'll need to do the fork swap. Got to talking to a tech that works there(small dealership) and he said that Kawasaki is going to phase out the carburetors on all KLR b/c of all the new emissions laws. He said a "Guy" from Kawasaki USA told him that "future" models will be fuel injected. When he said he didn't know......take that for whatever its worth b/c we all heard that when the murmurings of the "new 08 model" was coming out.

I believe him only because he said in 08 when the new KLR came out in green,black, and silver the bikes were selling like crazy. He said they sold 3x their allotment. When 09 Ebony came out he called Kawasaki USA and asked "WTF the bikes were selling like crazy why did the color scheme change?" Kawasaki USA's reply he said was all changes to a bike are in development from 3-5 years prior to whatever dealers get on the showroom. That's when he asked why they didn't put a twin in the new model and the "Guy" told him about the fuel injection.

Tech told me all this on Saturday. He also told me he wouldn't be shocked if the Versys motor was installed in the 2012-13 model year. He said he thinks they'll definitely be fuel injected by then because of aforementioned emissions laws

So all we can do is wait. The economy could have slowed the process down some
__________________
2009 Ebony KLR650
Wish list: KLX450 forks with Emig Racing front end conversion, KLE650 VERSYS engine swap,rear long travel shock, and a butt load of your typical "bolt-on's !!!!"
KLRnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #38
nomosnow
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRnit View Post
Went to the local Kawasaki dealer to look at the parallel twins and what all I'll need to do the fork swap. Got to talking to a tech that works there(small dealership) and he said that Kawasaki is going to phase out the carburetors on all KLR b/c of all the new emissions laws. He said a "Guy" from Kawasaki USA told him that "future" models will be fuel injected. When he said he didn't know......take that for whatever its worth b/c we all heard that when the murmurings of the "new 08 model" was coming out.

I believe him only because he said in 08 when the new KLR came out in green,black, and silver the bikes were selling like crazy. He said they sold 3x their allotment. When 09 Ebony came out he called Kawasaki USA and asked "WTF the bikes were selling like crazy why did the color scheme change?" Kawasaki USA's reply he said was all changes to a bike are in development from 3-5 years prior to whatever dealers get on the showroom. That's when he asked why they didn't put a twin in the new model and the "Guy" told him about the fuel injection.

Tech told me all this on Saturday. He also told me he wouldn't be shocked if the Versys motor was installed in the 2012-13 model year. He said he thinks they'll definitely be fuel injected by then because of aforementioned emissions laws

So all we can do is wait. The economy could have slowed the process down some
I would just like to add that there is no way Kawasaki is going to put fuel injection on this antiquated POS single cylinder KLR engine they will instead install the modern twin engine with it's proven fuel injection.
nomosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
SamM
Jeep Overlander
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Went to the local Kawasaki dealer to look at the parallel twins and what all I'll need to do the fork swap. Got to talking to a tech that works there(small dealership) and he said that Kawasaki is going to phase out the carburetors on all KLR b/c of all the new emissions laws. He said a "Guy" from Kawasaki USA told him that "future" models will be fuel injected. When he said he didn't know......take that for whatever its worth b/c we all heard that when the murmurings of the "new 08 model" was coming out.

I believe him only because he said in 08 when the new KLR came out in green,black, and silver the bikes were selling like crazy. He said they sold 3x their allotment. When 09 Ebony came out he called Kawasaki USA and asked "WTF the bikes were selling like crazy why did the color scheme change?" Kawasaki USA's reply he said was all changes to a bike are in development from 3-5 years prior to whatever dealers get on the showroom. That's when he asked why they didn't put a twin in the new model and the "Guy" told him about the fuel injection.

Tech told me all this on Saturday. He also told me he wouldn't be shocked if the Versys motor was installed in the 2012-13 model year. He said he thinks they'll definitely be fuel injected by then because of aforementioned emissions laws

So all we can do is wait. The economy could have slowed the process down some
Anything that a tech told you was pure speculation on his part. Those aren't the guys "in the know." They're just along for the ride. I'm sure there's a fuel injected KLR in the works. That's just the way things are going. At some point, Kawasaki will no longer be able to meet emissions with the carbed KLR. Fuel injection is the only answer to that. It will happen.

As far as the '09 KLR not selling as well as the '08. Remember that the '08 was an early release in '07. It had nothing to do with the new colors. It had everything to do with the slowing economy and the longer production run of the '08. That's fact.

These guys are quick to spout off that they know exactly what's coming out and when. If he was the manager and had information from the dealer meeting then you might be able to believe about a third of what he said. Without major upgrading Kawasaki would not stick a parallel-twin in the stock KLR frame. It will need to be a new bike. Just my opinion!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #40
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomosnow View Post
I would just like to add that there is no way Kawasaki is going to put fuel injection on this antiquated POS single cylinder KLR engine they will instead install the modern twin engine with it's proven fuel injection.
Why not???

It's cheap and easy. The same engine management system they have on the p-twins can be used on the thumper, the only differences being just a few lines of code, a big throttle body and injector, everything else can be re-used on the thumper.

If Kawasaki hasn't done it yet it's just because they have been able to get away with a carb, a FI system will be more expensive and will erode their margins. Just look at the Ninja 250, it's already FI on the markets where the carbs couldn't cut it, but it remains carbed in the US.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #41
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Why not???

It's cheap and easy. The same engine management system they have on the p-twins can be used on the thumper, the only differences being just a few lines of code, a big throttle body and injector, everything else can be re-used on the thumper.

If Kawasaki hasn't done it yet it's just because they have been able to get away with a carb, a FI system will be more expensive and will erode their margins. Just look at the Ninja 250, it's already FI on the markets where the carbs couldn't cut it, but it remains carbed in the US.
tank also needs to be redone to accomedate fuel pump. is there room?

since the 2nd gen. klr was more of a cheaper cosmetic update, not a full bike update, i'd say it's just in between model until a full redo. the 2nd gen model got kawi 4 more years out of the old antiquated 1st gen design. just like the dr650, the klr is due for a complete redo. 2012 should be a big year.

now if kawi has plans for a adv version with the twin plus an updated klr in the lineup, they are going to need to have the 2 bikes differentiated. i can see an updated DS klr w/ a FI single 21" & 130-17" spoked wheels, while the twin will be an adv bike similar looking to the versys but using beast sized wheels of Excel tubless and spoked 19" & 150-17".

kawi's klr is a solid selling bread and butter for them and thus i see it staying a single with a completely new bike for the twin.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 10:03 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #42
CA Stu
Thanks
 
CA Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Oddometer: 46,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
wouldn't pay 8k for it though. maybe w/ abs and traction and adjustable ignition map. i wouldn't be willing to pay much more than the current KLR. in fact i'd have to wait for heavily discounted year end leftovers.
Spoken like a true CCKLRO.

I'd be interested, sure, but I'd like to see first hand how this project works in the real world first...
I'm pretty happy with my 685 kitted KLR as it sits.

Thanks
CA Stu
__________________
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
CA Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
tank also needs to be redone to accomedate fuel pump. is there room?

since the 2nd gen. klr was more of a cheaper cosmetic update, not a full bike update, i'd say it's just in between model until a full redo. the 2nd gen model got kawi 4 more years out of the old antiquated 1st gen design. just like the dr650, the klr is due for a complete redo. 2012 should be a big year.

now if kawi has plans for a adv version with the twin plus an updated klr in the lineup, they are going to need to have the 2 bikes differentiated. i can see an updated DS klr w/ a FI single 21" & 130-17" spoked wheels, while the twin will be an adv bike similar looking to the versys but using beast sized wheels of Excel tubless and spoked 19" & 150-17".

kawi's klr is a solid selling bread and butter for them and thus i see it staying a single with a completely new bike for the twin.
There is more than enough room for a fuel pump in that tank.

The logical thing is to have a thumper and a ptwin on the lineup, but the twin must have more CCs to diferentiate it. The downside is that the ptwin will also end up being heavier, and more of a road bike than the thumper.

Also keep in mind that Kawasaki's goal is to make money, building bikes is just a mean to do that, so they won't go and develop two bikes if they aren't sure both of them won't cannibalize each other sales.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
nofate
what blackflies?
 
nofate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chapleau, ON
Oddometer: 2,805
Won't going to a twin comprimise the better tractibility of a thumper? For those who ride a lot of dirt this is pretty important. That low rpm torque of a large single would be missed by some guys and they would buy another brand of thumper because thats what they want. A 270 degree crank, like in the Triumph Scrambler, would help some. I think putting a few bucks into a big bore kit and better suspension components will give the KLR the power and ride that many yearn for.

If you want a smoother, more powerful twin then go buy one. There are lots of them out there. I sold my KLR and bought the Scrambler because I did not want to mod the KLR to death trying to make it into something it was never designed to be. If price is the major deciding factor then buy a used bike. The KLR is good value for the money and it has carved out its own niche. Tamper with that formula too much and you will segment the customer base for this kind of bike.
__________________
Rick, Chapleau, ON
Triumph Scrambler 900
Honda Trail CT90

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #45
repsolrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
repsolrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver island
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
There is more than enough room for a fuel pump in that tank.

The logical thing is to have a thumper and a ptwin on the lineup, but the twin must have more CCs to diferentiate it. The downside is that the ptwin will also end up being heavier, and more of a road bike than the thumper.

Also keep in mind that Kawasaki's goal is to make money, building bikes is just a mean to do that, so they won't go and develop two bikes if they aren't sure both of them won't cannibalize each other sales.

Kawasaki is famous for selling old models right along side new ones. Look at the zx6 for example.

I could see them building and selling both right along side one another.
repsolrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014