Nope not interested 47 9.46%
Why mess with a good thing 38 7.65%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
To GUNDY

You do realize that a fully wet 08+ KLR. is already close to 500 lbs. At least this proposed bike would have the properly HP and Torque to move it
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #62
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 614
Yes and No. Then there's this . . .

which was done about 10 years ago - EX500 twin in a custom frame.

See it here: http://www.rallytwin.com

Today I suppose they would do it with the Versys engine which is lighter, smaller and more powerful.

Or this . . .

Aprilia RXV, not sure if it is still sold as a dual sport. 70HP 550cc twin in a 270lb bike.
acap650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #63
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

To acap650

The name "aprilla" equals $$$. I'm no expert by any means but I'm guessing that bike probably cost $8k. Yeah I understand its lightweight, however its about compromise. I'm asking and hoping Kawasaki will just simply add the Versys engine and gearbox to the existing KLR and merely hoping they would upgrade the suspension to match. Telling them to lighten the bike by 200 lbs. I think is asking to much. I for one don't mind the weight of the KLR on or offroad. I think if you want a 200 lbs. dual sport/hypermotard then modding a 250 would be your best bet
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #64
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
My lightened '08 KLR weighs in as pictured but with a skidplate at 345lbs. That's the wet weight with an empty 7.5gal. IMS fuel tank. The difference between the stock engine and the new KLE engine is 7lbs. More than that can be removed with a battery swap, so I'm hoping for no real change in weight with the engine conversion. My KLR has been on single tracks. If you can handle a stock KLR off-road then that's saying somethin. My KTM 950 was a handful off-road. The power made it twitchy on gravelroads. The KLR has a similar weight and size. Meaning it's no fun! The KLR does do gravel pretty well, much better than the 950 but it's still heavy. Add bags and gear and you have lots of weight.

The goal for my KLR project is 325lbs. Add 45lbs. of fuel and that takes it to 370. Bags and gear take it up to 425lbs. That's much more manageable. The new 65hp. engine will make the KLRE650 the perfect lightweight adventure bike. I can't wait to tryout that kind of power, with this kind of weight and then top it off with a 6-speed.

The new project goals are new .50kg KYB fork springs, a long travel Cogent Dynamics rear shock, Trail Tech kickstand, 2008 WR250X chainguard, Li-ion battery, a rally type windscreen, SW-Motech Evo racks and Pelican 1550 hardbags. I'll add RAD hubs, Excel rims, and a few other things along the way.

I hope you don't mind me posting a picture in your thread KLRnit?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Weber Rally Twin was the inspiration for my build. I've been thinking about how perfect that bike is ever since seeing it here for the first time, years ago.

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 10:17 PM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #65
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

No problem Sam

Next time though post pics of the bike being built or built . Man this thread sure is dying. Oh well everyones different.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #66
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Quote:
Next time though post pics of the bike being built or built . Man this thread sure is dying. Oh well everyones different.
Wish I could. I'm still waiting myself. My builders place got hit pretty hard by the big icestorm and they are still digging out. My bike is the last of his worries right now.

Soon though!

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 05:32 AM
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #67
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Oddometer: 419
Any more news on this front? I've got an itch to start an ADVersys project of me own.

C

The Return - Riding Western China DVD - The first and only moto film about riding in China!

MyChinaMoto.com - AdVRiding in China - News, Community and Resources

CarlParker.com
- Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #68
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
SamM!

A KLR handles the gravel much better than a 950! WHAT! You are dreaming. A 950 will anilalate any KLR anytime, any where, any time, thank you. You must be a real novice to come up with that statement!
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #69
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Look, I'm not here to bash the 950. I've done enough of that. It's getting old and frankly I'm tired of it. The KTM was both the best and the worst bike for me. Best to ride, worst to own. Honestly, it was great fun but too expensive to farkle and fix. The reliability was horrible. Especially for a +13K motorcycle. Couldn't keep mine running long enough to even wear out the stock tires. No, I guess I did replace them once. Drop the KTM in the rough stuff and the KLR will pass you right up. Why? Because the KTM will not restart. That was a hard lesson. Whenever I got on the throttle the bike would literally try to spin out from under me, in the gravel. It just didn't hook up. Never noticed that with the KLR. The 950 was heavy and better suited to streetriding than off-road. The best description I even heard was that it was, "a streetbike for guys that like dirtbikes!" Add in the horrible resale value and it didn't add up. Nobody would take mine in on trade, not even the KTM dealer. Even tried trading it in on a KLR, same thing. All I heard was what are we going to do with that. I could have sold it numerous times. All anybody wanted to give me was 5K and it was 2 years old. No, it will sit in my shop and rot before that happens. The KTM did have a better suspension than a stock KLR, after I spent $800 to fix it. I recent sold the suspension off mine to buy the Versys engine for my KLR. My KLR is world's better. KTM owners hate to hear that. My hats off to you guys that love them and ride them. After being left on the side of the road more than twice I was done with it. Hey, I drank the Kool-Aide and spent my money and I got just what I deserved! Now I have to look at it everyday! Do you like yours? Or do you not have one?

EDIT: Just so you know. I was talking about my KLR. There's a picture of it above in my earlier post. It has an off-road suspension and is much lighter than a stock KLR.

SamM

SamM screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 07:16 AM
Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #70
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
A KLR handles the gravel much better than a 950! WHAT! You are dreaming. A 950 will anilalate any KLR anytime, any where, any time, thank you. You must be a real novice to come up with that statement!
The big ADV bikes are turning more into tourers that look like ADV bikes than true ADV bikes.

I had never really put any attention to the big bore ADV bikes until recently, and well, what I found wasn't pleasing at all, because I wasn't actually looking into ADV bikes...

I was actually looking to replace my VN900 with something more capable on road, not as extreme as a super sport bike, but I wanted something that could handle itself at 100-120mph, that lead me to sport tourers (ST1300, FJR1300, etc) which are too big and heavy...

So I had to keep looking.

Riding position similar to a "standard" (UJM), the sport tourers fit again, but I didn't want that, and I wanted something with a bit of wind protection.

I also wanted a bike usable for 2 up riding, as it seems it's the only thing I actually liked of the cruiser. Yet another point where the sport tourers fit...

My list basically narrowed it down to sport tourers, right? Not so fast, also any big ADV bike fits perfectly...

Sure, you can still take them off road, but many middle weight ADV bikes will be overtaking you or getting you unstuck. Hit the road and the guy on the middle weight will be wishing that he had your bike after a 500 mile day.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #71
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Difference in riding style...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Look, I'm not here to bash the 950. I've done enough of that. It's getting old and frankly I'm tired of it. The KTM was both the best and the worst bike for me. Best to ride, worst to own. Honestly, it was great fun but too expensive to farkle and fix. The reliability was horrible. Especially for a +13K motorcycle. SamM
Funny how many people have already forgotten the 950 was designed as a Dakar Rally bike. And the production model was very close to the Rally version... same frame, same motor, same wheel base, same layout. And the bike was ridden in the Rally and won by Forty year olds... older guys. The bike would still be a Dakar winner if it hadn't been outlawed from the race. The fact that the KTM Adventure is so popular that it's being bought up and used by a street oriented crowd is just a testament to the bike's extreme versatility. There is a big difference in riding technique between lighter motocross bikes and larger displacement adventure bikes. Most Americans have never ridden a bike off their seat before either. The Europeans have had decades of experience with larger displacement adventure bikes, like the Honda Africa Twins, Ducati Elephants, Yamaha Tenere's, BMW PD's. It's more about the technique at that point, but once dialed in, the benefits outweigh the bike. I agree and sympathize that KTM Adventures are an expensive proposition. The factory rolled out a bike that was designed to be pampered by mechanics. Again, a different philosophy then most Japanese manufacturers. But in the end, all bikes require time and patience, either developing riding skill, or in re-engineering their flaws. I think your KLR twin will be a fantastic bike, in fact when it's done, it will serve as a prime example at what the motorcycle industry needs as a future template. Because no matter what skill level we all possess, father time will inevitably strip it away.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #72
RottenScummyTroll
Traveler

Oddometer: 228
No. There's other options out there if you want to pay $7500+ for a more powerful off-road-capable bike, but few like the KLR...DR650 being an exception, but even that's more leaning toward dirt chops than street.

Yes, it would be nice if it was faster.

Yes, it would be nice if it had better suspension.

But...it's a bike that CAN go a TON of places with relative competence, both on-road and off. IMO, it's a very successful compromise of on/off-road comfort and price. Add the twin, and you lose the price part of that equation and put yourself up in the range of better equipped/performing bikes.

Also, there's the quality side of things. The KLR is, at best, rugged. Sure, it's functionally fine - but fit, finish, and overall NICE-ness are lacking. That's perfectly fine in a $6k bike (damn, are they really that much these days?!?!) but less appealing when the price nears $8k.

Then there's the simplicity argument. The carb'd KLR mill is about as complex as a pet rock, whereas the KLE motor is a more complex (though surely well-made) animal. Which would you rather rebuild in the wilds of Mongolia? I know which I'd pick.

So I chose no - why mess with a good thing? It's already in (nearly) a class of it's own, that motor would move it into another class entirely and I doubt it would stack up as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #73
repsolrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Good to see this thread still moving. All bashing aside whats wrong with one more choice. Kawasaki would clearly keep building the single its great. But trust me the Twin rocks.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #74
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Wow

Its great to see that this thread is still here. Come on guys keep it going especially since this type of conversion got magazine coverage.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #75
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
So I chose no - why mess with a good thing? It's already in (nearly) a class of it's own, that motor would move it into another class entirely and I doubt it would stack up as well.
Honestly, I think it would create a class of it's own which needs to exist. I think a 650 twin ADV class is just waiting to happen. I don't really see the need for 800cc myself.

I've ridden both a Versys and the Triumph 800XC. While the 800XC is a very nice bike it's got more motor than I need. I felt the Versys motor was nearly ideal while being smaller, lighter, and simpler to boot.

I still believe the Versys 650 twin (Kawi, don't make it any bigger) in an updated KLR chassis would simply rock.

A couple things I'd change with the Versys engine would to add a little more flywheel weight (10-12 oz ???) which I think would help in off-road situations quite a bit to keep it from stalling in low rpm sitations. I also think they would do well to give it a 270 crank like the Super Tenere which would also help off-road to give it better traction.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote