Why mess with a good thing 38 7.65%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #91
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Ya, the high footpeg position was my number 1 turn off to the Versys, same with the Tiger 800XC I rode. It not only makes the knee bend tighter but also the standing position is just awkward. You can see the street bike genes showing through in both bikes.
My sentiments exactly. I actually bought a Versys thinking it would feel like my KLR only with a better motor... always felt cramped/locked in on the bike and sold it. Wanted to love the new T800, but it feels cramped and the motor only makes power when revved higher.

The ergo's of the KLR have spoiled me.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #92
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
TTT. Cant let it die
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #93
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
KLRnit,
Here's a bump for your thread with a picture of my new KLRE650. This is one of the early pictures that doesn't really show much. Hopefully, this will stir some interest in the KLRE. My builder could possibly offer a kit to do this conversion. He is looking seriously into doing that. The KLRE conversion isn't just a straightforward bolt-in. A number of things need to be addressed. Everything from the radiators to the rear sprocket spacing will need looked at. The Versys engine is very wide and this presents a few small problems. Nothing that can't be overcome.

I'm sorry that the picture doesn't show much. That was the plan. We can't give away the farm just yet. If you look hard, you can see that the lower engine cradle tubes look very nice. They closely follow the engine contour and have complex compound bends. He has spent a lot of time on those and still isn't sure whether he's going to keep the tubes shown in the picture.

At this point, I'm not sure which way I want to go with the build. Lightweight or more touring oriented. All this time I've been looking for one do-everything dualsport motorcycle. However, the thoughts of a KLR based touring machine with the stock '08 KLR windscreen and a bigger '08 KLR fuel tank (Safari Tanks is getting ready to release this now) is very intriguing. I'm not in any hurry to decide.

We'll show more as we go forward. I hope you enjoy this one.

SamM

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #94
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
At this point, I'm not sure which way I want to go with the build. Lightweight or more touring oriented. All this time I've been looking for one do-everything dualsport motorcycle. However, the thoughts of a KLR based touring machine with the stock '08 KLR windscreen and a bigger '08 KLR fuel tank (Safari Tanks is getting ready to release this now) is very intriguing. I'm not in any hurry to decide.

SamM
Personally, I'd lean towards the touring setup. With the twin I just don't think heading in the light weight direction will turn out fruitful. If you want light weight look to your KLX 250.

The KLRE 650 has all the right ingredients for a nice Adventure Touring bike.

That's awesome news on Safari Tanks getting ready to release a tank for the '08+ models. I'm glad they changed their mind. I contacted them last year and got a "not interested" answer. I'm still interested in one for my KLR.

Keep the good news coming
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #95
SamM
Jeep Overlander

The problem with that is that I no longer own a KLX250. My daughter now has that bike! It's been stripped and turned into a dirtbike.

SamM
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #96
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Sure, it would be darn nice to have a really new KLR instead of just an update...

But that's not going to happen. Kawasaki won't risk losing Versys sales to a new KLR, both would overlap.

Well, they will at least have to come-up with a solution to the oil guzzling woes that riders are experiencing with the late model KLR. That's totally unacceptable to me.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #97
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Well, they will at least have to come-up with a solution to the oil guzzling woes that riders are experiencing with the late model KLR. That's totally unacceptable to me.
Proper brake-in cures that....Bump # infinity. Thanks for the pic Sam. I'd be interested in a kit for sure
Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #98
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post
$8k is too much for anything built on a KLR platform, so no. I bet they could do something interesting from the ground up for about that much though.
If Kawi were to listen to us, they would keep the KLR as what it is, a bike with an outdated technology but a very good work horse, and adventurize the Versys, or build a more off-road able version of this bike. This way people looking for a cheap and reliable bike would still have the KLR, and folks willing to spend more would get the other version, call it whatever you want...I don't think there would be somethings to loose here for them, in fact the they might lose more by changing the KLR into something else where the whole array of aftermarket products won't fit anymore...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #99
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
If Kawi were to listen to us, they would keep the KLR as what it is, a bike with an outdated technology but a very good work horse, and adventurize the Versys, or build a more off-road able version of this bike. This way people looking for a cheap and reliable bike would still have the KLR, and folks willing to spend more would get the other version, call it whatever you want...I don't think there would be somethings to loose here for them, in fact the they might lose more by changing the KLR into something else where the whole array of aftermarket products won't fit anymore...

Have to agree, that's why a twin klr 650 would do it, everything on the market would fit, the aftermarket suppliers would have spasms of joy over something like that. If Kawasaki came out with something before Jan 2012 I'd grab one for my trip south next year.

Edited already: I didn't buy a klr because it was cheap I bought it because it's a work horse to get me south and back.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #100
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Quote:
That's why a twin klr 650 would do it, everything on the market would fit, the aftermarket suppliers would have spasms of joy over something like that. If Kawasaki came out with something before Jan 2012 I'd grab one for my trip south next year.

Edited already: I didn't buy a klr because it was cheap I bought it because it's a work horse to get me south and back.
This is why an aftermarket kit to do this is exactly what the KLR community needs. Sadly, it's probably not going to happen before January.

SamM
Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #101
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I have an 05 that I've done just about everything i can do aside from the 685/705 and cogent rear shock. I love the fact that KLRs are cheap, reliable, versatile and have a massive aftermarket.

That said, I just can't accept not having a 6th gear and decent set of forks in 2011. Everything else can be modded. If Kawi dropped in the Versys twin, added KLX forks and ditched some of the plastic, I would gladly spend 8k on a new KLR.

If and when my Darth Thumper dies I'm thinking a 690 Enduro will replace it unless Kawi can get a slightly better KLR out.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #102
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

To bad the 2011 KLR'S are out and all KAWI did was change colors.........again. I do think it'll happen, one day. A kit would be great but liability insurance will keep anyone from attempting it.

Hey Sam whats the status on.your bike? I got my engine sold and money saved up. Just need to find a wrecked Versys.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #103
SamM
Jeep Overlander

We are moving forward. I'll be sending a few parts out next week. These things take time. Basically, I've told him that he can keep it as long as he needs it. This year's riding season is a bust for me anyway. Right now, I'm looking for a Versys or Ninja header. We have learned some interesting things about this swap. My hat is off to Repsolrider and what he did. I know what it takes to pull this off. It's a big deal and not an easy task.

Look Kawasaki is NOT going to do this. We would like to see any KLR owner be able to accomplish this swap and are doing what we can to see that it happens. Many may not believe this but that's the deal. My builder does this for a living. As for me, I just happened to have a Versys engine and a spare KLR sitting in my garage. Quality is the goal. I'm not looking for a quick solution. I want a bike that I can ride anywhere for many, many years to come.

SamM
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #104
dochstader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Wait for the '12 model announcement - KTM, look out!
dochstader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #105
KLRnit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochstader View Post
Wait for the '12 model announcement - KTM, look out!
You know something we dont....? LoL..Man I wish