Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
BaroloMulti OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Need Help - South Africa Motocycle rental

Motorcycle rental South Africa - need help to find a rental company

Dear All and Hello

I am Guenter from Germany. I just found yesterday this forum and took the chance to sign in as BaroloMulti.

We, my wife and I, are since many years on two wheels on the road. We have seen most of the European countries from the saddle of different motorcycles. As well as we made many Km’s on the Royal Enfield in India, Nepal and Bhutan.

For this year we have scheduled a South Africa trip – from Johannesburg to Cape Town. End of Oct. … November.

Ho has experiences with Motorcycle rentals – recommendations for rental companies?

It will be only a one way trip. To pick up the bike near Johannesburg and return the bike in Cape Town. Hope for some helpful advices.

Thanks Guenter
BaroloMulti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
BikeBrother
Motorisch gestoord

Oddometer: 120
Hi,

don't go towww.motorradrentals.comin johannesburg (or capetown). we rented last year 2 bikes there. they gave us other bikes then agreed. and after the trip they charged a lot for damage to the bikes that was not made...we still did not get our deposit back.

Ride your Dreams....
BikeBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
ButchH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroloMulti View Post
Motorcycle rental South Africa - need help to find a rental company

Dear All and Hello

I am Guenter from Germany. I just found yesterday this forum and took the chance to sign in as BaroloMulti.

We, my wife and I, are since many years on two wheels on the road. We have seen most of the European countries from the saddle of different motorcycles. As well as we made many Km’s on the Royal Enfield in India, Nepal and Bhutan.

For this year we have scheduled a South Africa trip – from Johannesburg to Cape Town. End of Oct. … November.

Ho has experiences with Motorcycle rentals – recommendations for rental companies?

It will be only a one way trip. To pick up the bike near Johannesburg and return the bike in Cape Town. Hope for some helpful advices.

Thanks Guenter

Please visit www.wilddog.za.net/forum/ there are a bunch of us that may be able to help you with your planning as well as bike rental
ButchH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
ButchH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeBrother View Post
Hi,

don't go towww.motorradrentals.comin johannesburg (or capetown). we rented last year 2 bikes there. they gave us other bikes then agreed. and after the trip they charged a lot for damage to the bikes that was not made...we still did not get our deposit back.

sent them a mail this is unacceptable lets see how they respond
Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
ButchH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeBrother View Post
Hi,

Received a response to my email from Motorrad Rentals. Seems like there is a bit more to the story than what is posted here
Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Moto76man
Moto Xplorer!

Oddometer: 5
Hi Guenter, there are a couple of rental shops you can try :

www.karoo-biking.de
www.motoberlin.com

They will both be able to assist you with a Johannesburg to Cape Town rental and have been around for more than 10 years each.

As for BikeBrother's comments - if you take care of a rental bike like you would do your own, you shouldn't have any problems. But don't expect them to go easy on you if you thrash their bikes!

South Africa is a great destination for bikers - enjoy your trip.
Moto76man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Three Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I've used SAMA Tours in Pretoria twice now. Top blokes- meet you at OR Tambo and take care of everything. http://www.samatours.co.za/ You'd have to check on the one way hire costs of course...
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Oldun
Older and slightly slower

Oddometer: 105
Excuse me for thread redirection... info sought on SA riding.

I am on a longish SA assignment. Was going to be 2 months, now 8... I checked into renting a bike longterm but the cost grew astronomical and so am looking to buy a second hand one and resell after use. I have a license, also an international license... but am looking for info on how to register a bike in SA while being a furriner living in a rental apartment. Any tricks or traps would appreciate knowing. Any insurance company recommendations likewise.
Oldun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #9
ButchH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldun View Post
I am on a longish SA assignment. Was going to be 2 months, now 8... I checked into renting a bike longterm but the cost grew astronomical and so am looking to buy a second hand one and resell after use. I have a license, also an international license... but am looking for info on how to register a bike in SA while being a furriner living in a rental apartment. Any tricks or traps would appreciate knowing. Any insurance company recommendations likewise.

Please visit http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?action=home you will get all the help you need there