Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #46
Ash-7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks Zulu. I know what you mean, it's a pain to ride it on highways. Since I'm new to riding, I was advised to get used to something small and then upgrade.
Ash-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #47
zulusafari OP
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-7 View Post
Thanks Zulu. I know what you mean, it's a pain to ride it on highways. Since I'm new to riding, I was advised to get used to something small and then upgrade.
yes, that is good advice. I learned on some cruisers in the US a little and then got serious on my 650. It's a heavy, tall bike and I've learned the hard way :)
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #48
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 223
Hey all,

Its looking like I'm going to be relocating to Naivasha around September from Seattle. I'm wondering what its going to be like to find a motorcycle there? Finding a big (or small?) XR would be awesome. I have an XR600R and a DR650 here, so I'm pretty familiar with the big thumpers. Cost will be an issue, as I'll be on a tight budget, but I'm looking for something reliable that I can do some traveling with. I'll also be looking to make friends, especially those with bikes!

How's the market work out there? Private sales for used bikes, or dealers, or lots, or what?

-Mike in Seattle
Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #49
zulusafari OP
E African ADVRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
Hey all,

Its looking like I'm going to be relocating to Naivasha around September from Seattle. I'm wondering what its going to be like to find a motorcycle there? Finding a big (or small?) XR would be awesome. I have an XR600R and a DR650 here, so I'm pretty familiar with the big thumpers. Cost will be an issue, as I'll be on a tight budget, but I'm looking for something reliable that I can do some traveling with. I'll also be looking to make friends, especially those with bikes!

How's the market work out there? Private sales for used bikes, or dealers, or lots, or what?

-Mike in Seattle
Welcome Mike. I am around a community that's constantly selling/swapping some of the bigger bikes. I'll let you know if someone wants to. Here are a few other places to look/post/inquire to get you started...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMDiaries/ (Facebook forum)
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...c5bb7692bbdfe2 (map around Nairobi with mechanics, some who buy/sell bikes on occasion)
Friend just told me that Lawrence at http://motoadvkenya.com just got some bike honda dual sport bikes in. motoadv.kenya@gmail.com
www.dealfish.co.ke (like craigslist)
Ian is the KTM dealer/everything in Nairobi http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post18896194

That should get you started. All these guys have notice boards where people put up flyers when they are selling. Looking at the mall notice boards is a good selection and there is a big public car sale every Sunday, but not sure if people bring bikes. it's out by the show grounds/polo fields.

What is your budget? Be sure to bring your gear from the US! Clothes, helmets, tools, extra parts, etc.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #50
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 223
I'm not sure what my budget is going to be, besides "tight". I've got to figure in my financial aid/grant/loan statuses, then I'll know. Looks like I should be arriving in the vicinity of very early 2013....and I'm EXCITED! Thanks for the information. I'll be in touch here as my situation develops...
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #51
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,967
Hi guys - not meaning to crash your thread on riding, but I'm in Kenya next month for work, I'll be there about a week and a half. Looks like I will have 1 or 2 free days in Nairobi on my return trip. Any advice on places to go and things to see? I'll either be walking if close, or taxi if need be and it's worth it.

Thanks for any advice!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #52
zulusafari OP
E African ADVRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Hi guys - not meaning to crash your thread on riding, but I'm in Kenya next month for work, I'll be there about a week and a half. Looks like I will have 1 or 2 free days in Nairobi on my return trip. Any advice on places to go and things to see? I'll either be walking if close, or taxi if need be and it's worth it.

Thanks for any advice!
Have you been on safari? Nairobi is home to the only Urban wildlife park in the world. Definitely take a morning or afternoon to go on safari there if that is of interest. There's also an elephant and giraffe orphanage that a lot of people do on the same 1/2 day trip as they are close to each other. If you want to spend a little more money and time, you can do a 14hr trip and go to a park outside of town. I've heard those are pretty fun, just need to be willing to get up really early.

Where are you staying? There's tea plantations just outside of town that are cool if you're into that. A lot of people like to go see Karen Blixen's house, again, if you're into that kind of thing. There's not much to see there. You could always rent a bike for a day and do a day ride out of town. It's actually a lot of fun. I'm not aware of anyone doing tours, you'd have to find your own way around.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #53
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,967
Nope, never been on a safari, never even been to Africa! One of the people I'll be working with has been there before and said that game park was something to see and easy to get to.

I'll be at the Kenya Comfort hotel, I think it's right by the university campus. Thought about a bike rental, but can't bring any riding gear, so that is probably out.

Thanks for the advice!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #54
zulusafari OP
E African ADVRDR

Selling New Rain Suit

Selling brand new Rain Suit 12,000 ksh

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #55
acrossafrica
Ride Safe - Kenya

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
I'm not sure what my budget is going to be, besides "tight". I've got to figure in my financial aid/grant/loan statuses, then I'll know. Looks like I should be arriving in the vicinity of very early 2013....and I'm EXCITED! Thanks for the information. I'll be in touch here as my situation develops...
Check out this guys - www.motoadvkenya.com - you will be in good hands- im from boston and i work with them to bring KLR650s,XR650L, CRF250X - they also have a rental program thats decent
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #56
acrossafrica
Ride Safe - Kenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Nope, never been on a safari, never even been to Africa! One of the people I'll be working with has been there before and said that game park was something to see and easy to get to.

I'll be at the Kenya Comfort hotel, I think it's right by the university campus. Thought about a bike rental, but can't bring any riding gear, so that is probably out.

Thanks for the advice!
Welcome to Kenya we just started a trip on Motorcycles known as mara by Bike- it can be guided or Unguided your preference but you definitely want to go the mara national park - the wildebeeste migration takes place about the same time - and we do rent motorcycle gear so feel free to check us out - www.motoadvkenya.com - we have KLRS, BMW n KTMs for rent
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #57
zulusafari OP
E African ADVRDR

Bike for sale

I found a nice bike for sale. I've met the owner before. He owns a bike shop and rebuilds Rovers. Quality stuff.

2011 Husaberg FE 390 for sale, 3000kms 100 hours, reklusse clutch, all power parts added, 850,000/- ono tel: 0726856135

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMDi...tal_comments=8
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #58
mennleo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Concours d’Elegance

Come by and see us at Concours d’Elegance at race track Sunday the 30th. We have 10 -12 bikes from Uganda Bikers Association coming by way of Mt. Kenya.
mennleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
acrossafrica
Ride Safe - Kenya

hello!

hello leo looking forward to seeing you guys- may ride back with to Kampala as i make my way to Vic falls
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #60
acrossafrica
Ride Safe - Kenya

Husaberg

nice bike!