Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,021
I've seen a few people who just wear regular bicycle helmets but the lack of protection for the back of the head concerns me.

Has anyone tried a Snowboard or Skateboard helmet? Ever crashed and hit your head in one?

I originally thought a Snowboard helmet would be too hot but it looks like venting is an important feature for them too. Something like this might be the answer.

http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/shopite...06-helmets.asp
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,328
Why not just wear a dirtbike helmet?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,531
Some clubs require a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet. I believe it is a requirement for an AMA-sanctioned event. Dirt bike helmets in 3/4 design (without chin bar) are getting harder to find, and many trials riders prefer the open-face design for improved ventilation and vision.

Having said that, I currently have my daughter in a full-face BMX helmet for trials. I like the added protection compared to a trials helmet, and she likes the lighter weight of the bicycle design. At the speeds she rides the potential impacts she faces are comparable to BMX crashes so I'm not too concerned for any additional risk.

Our club events are AMA-sanctioned, but we do not check for helmet stickers. Most trials helmets are not DOT-approved; they usually carry an EU certification of some sort.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,404
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Or even a full face helmet!
OK, it was a long time ago and I got a proper one eventually!

You don't want the weight, constriction and warmth of either type in trials.

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
I do currently but I'm struggling with the limited visibility. I don't like having to move my head to change my line of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Some clubs require a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet. I believe it is a requirement for an AMA-sanctioned event. Dirt bike helmets in 3/4 design (without chin bar) are getting harder to find, and many trials riders prefer the open-face design for improved ventilation and vision.

Having said that, I currently have my daughter in a full-face BMX helmet for trials. I like the added protection compared to a trials helmet, and she likes the lighter weight of the bicycle design. At the speeds she rides the potential impacts she faces are comparable to BMX crashes so I'm not too concerned for any additional risk.

Our club events are AMA-sanctioned, but we do not check for helmet stickers. Most trials helmets are not DOT-approved; they usually carry an EU certification of some sort.
The RMTA does not require a DOT approved helmet and I've seen several members wearing bicycle helmets so that is not an issue.

I just got back from shopping for snowboard helmets. The major sporting goods chains around here only had low end models and I wasn't pleased with those at all so I wound up at a dedicated ski shop.

I tried on the Giro G10MX that I linked previously and believe it or not the size Large fit me quite well. The construction was much better than the lower end models, it had decent (not plush) padding and offered good coverage for the back of the head. It is very lightweight which can be a plus or minus depending on your POV.

I'd probably still order an XL though since it has a fit adjuster which is also a nice feature.

I have to wait for the XXL Shiro to come in before I make a decision.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Brake
"Tractor right up it"

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post

I tried on the giro g10mx and believe it or not the size large fit me quite well. .
Brake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
I think you will find, that trials helmet (until you are a master level rider falling off 10ft cliffs) that the lightweight trials helmet, hockey helmet, snowboard helmet, or like me a modified BMX helmet, will be just great, light and comfy. And that helps that you arent overheated, sore neck from the weight, or otherwise uncomfortable that you dont feel the need to remove the helmet most days. In hot days it comes off, even the nice & cool Shiro I have (yeah they look like melon heads).

I have a lot of helmets at the shop. and each of them, IMHO fit differently. My head likes my shiro. Before I bought the Shiro, I was using a modified bycycle (BMX) helmet, made by Bell, that looks like this, but a few years back they had several different colored paintjobs on them.

My dad came up with it, and the mod is that we cut the chin protector off of it carefully saving the plastic welting and carefully cut & gluied the inner padding fabric after the cutting. We purchased these from walmart, cheap. I admit, I dont see them there as much anymore, typical walmart, find something you like, they never carry it again, at least where I live.
Anyway, they look pretty decent with chin guard cut off, like the regular helmet.

I like the shiro, and drilled out the styrofoam holes (didnt use a drill, used a big bit with bare hands to do this) to be as big as the vent holes on the outer part of the helmet, and I DONT use the ear pieces. WHen it rains I put uguly duct tape over the top holes. I also like you can buy a 2nd set of linings, as the linings get skunky after a while. they are removable and I wash in dishwasher like I do my ballcaps. let them air dry, not heat dry, FWIW.

ANYWAY,,,,,,, The trials type helmets, They wont be so heavy that you wont have your head being planted if you did fall, 9 out of 10 times. there has only been once (for me) in ofer 40 years) that a full face helmet might have saved me 'injury', and really it was a scratch on the chin, not a full blow like I have had on a MX/DIRT bike... the idea of a trials helmets is more like well hell, a worker's hard hat is the same idea, save you from jagged things, but you aren't expected to go and be flung at 40+ MPH into something...

though I have seen people crash racing down the loops between sections in top gear... that would have benifitted from full face helmet I guess, I just dont let myself be in that situation if I can help it.

Soooo, do what you feel is best about a helmet. Just know I kind of giggle about full faced helmets trials riders, ya know, thinking Sheesh, what does he/she think they need to wear to walk in the mall? I mean I guess you never know if you slip down the escalator as easily as lost control of the trials bike and just step off at that 1-3 mph... (yes I'm just jokin around, lol)

Just sayin, our sport was run for 80 of the hundred years it has been a sport, wearing a cap or fashined horse jockey felt hat (picture Wiltz Wagoneer here).

It is all about control, aint it? and safety, and being comfortable that you are safe now.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,328
lol... the weight of the helmet is not what's holding me back...
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
lol... the weight of the helmet is not what's holding me back...
It's the tires...... yeah that's it. My tires.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #25
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I think you will find, that trials helmet (until you are a master level rider falling off 10ft cliffs) that the lightweight trials helmet, hockey helmet, snowboard helmet, or like me a modified BMX helmet, will be just great, light and comfy. And that helps that you arent overheated, sore neck from the weight, or otherwise uncomfortable that you dont feel the need to remove the helmet most days. In hot days it comes off, even the nice & cool Shiro I have (yeah they look like melon heads).

I have a lot of helmets at the shop. and each of them, IMHO fit differently. My head likes my shiro. Before I bought the Shiro, I was using a modified bycycle (BMX) helmet, made by Bell, that looks like this, but a few years back they had several different colored paintjobs on them.

My dad came up with it, and the mod is that we cut the chin protector off of it carefully saving the plastic welting and carefully cut & gluied the inner padding fabric after the cutting. We purchased these from walmart, cheap. I admit, I dont see them there as much anymore, typical walmart, find something you like, they never carry it again, at least where I live.
Anyway, they look pretty decent with chin guard cut off, like the regular helmet.

I like the shiro, and drilled out the styrofoam holes (didnt use a drill, used a big bit with bare hands to do this) to be as big as the vent holes on the outer part of the helmet, and I DONT use the ear pieces. WHen it rains I put uguly duct tape over the top holes. I also like you can buy a 2nd set of linings, as the linings get skunky after a while. they are removable and I wash in dishwasher like I do my ballcaps. let them air dry, not heat dry, FWIW.

ANYWAY,,,,,,, The trials type helmets, They wont be so heavy that you wont have your head being planted if you did fall, 9 out of 10 times. there has only been once (for me) in ofer 40 years) that a full face helmet might have saved me 'injury', and really it was a scratch on the chin, not a full blow like I have had on a MX/DIRT bike... the idea of a trials helmets is more like well hell, a worker's hard hat is the same idea, save you from jagged things, but you aren't expected to go and be flung at 40+ MPH into something...

though I have seen people crash racing down the loops between sections in top gear... that would have benifitted from full face helmet I guess, I just dont let myself be in that situation if I can help it.

Soooo, do what you feel is best about a helmet. Just know I kind of giggle about full faced helmets trials riders, ya know, thinking Sheesh, what does he/she think they need to wear to walk in the mall? I mean I guess you never know if you slip down the escalator as easily as lost control of the trials bike and just step off at that 1-3 mph... (yes I'm just jokin around, lol)

Just sayin, our sport was run for 80 of the hundred years it has been a sport, wearing a cap or fashined horse jockey felt hat (picture Wiltz Wagoneer here).

It is all about control, aint it? and safety, and being comfortable that you are safe now.
Thanks for the input.

At this point I'm thinking if I'm not happy with the Shiro I have on order without modification I'll return it. I don't want to damage the item and not be able to return it to see if I can make it comfortable.

There is one shop in town that may have a Hebo that I can try on but barring that I'm really leaning toward the Giro snowboard helmet that I tried on today.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #26
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
I've used that trick on my Scorpion street helmet and it greatly improved the comfort. Thanks for the reminder.

Did the fabric of the liner eventually wear in and get softer? I'm not too impressed with the course fabric that they've used but Ben swears it will soften up.

Oh, mine was soft as can be after a ride or three....the other fellers take their helmets off during rest breaks, I leave my Shiro ON....it's very very comfy.
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

At this point I'm thinking if I'm not happy with the Shiro I have on order without modification I'll return it. I don't want to damage the item and not be able to return it to see if I can make it comfortable.

There is one shop in town that may have a Hebo that I can try on but barring that I'm really leaning toward the Giro snowboard helmet that I tried on today.
like they said before in the thread, you'll be fine until you goto a meet that is requiring DOT or SNELL rating {european equivalent?}.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #28
Charla OP
Tamalamian

The XXL Shiro finally came in last week. It is still too tight front to back, but has at least an inch gap over my ears.

Who the heck did they model this thing for, Charlie Brown?

I washed my hands of the Shiros and I've decided just to order the Snowboard helmet that I was able to try on.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
The XXL Shiro finally came in last week. It is still too tight front to back, but has at least an inch gap over my ears.

Who the heck did they model this thing for, Charlie Brown?

I washed my hands of the Shiros and I've decided just to order the Snowboard helmet that I was able to try on.

I just got a Shiro for Miss Bitters. It fits her about the same.

Them yurpeans must have funny shaped heads.........
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #30
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
I just got a Shiro for Miss Bitters. It fits her about the same.

Them yurpeans must have funny shaped heads.........
Yur supposed to mold it with a screwdriver handle, as previously mentioned.

Why do you think the Europeans gods invented screwdriver handles or ball peen hammers?
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote