User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Goosefeather OP
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 813
A (Wet) Wander through South East Queensland

One of my usual riding partners e-mailed in the evening to line up a quick ride for the next morning . . . what with other commitments, and the forecast afternoon rain, we planned to be back in town by 1PM.

So early up, to pack the bike, but unfortunately my mate had to cancel at short notice. All psyched up, and with the day off, I decided to go alone. In my usual style, I managed to shuffle my afternoon stuff but prevaricated, and didn’t get away until 10.

My mate usually travels with a pro-standard Canon . . unfortunately on this trip the only photos I have are crappy mobile phone ones . . . at least until the battery went flat! So apologies in advance for the poor image standard.

To set the context for the trip, Queensland has had it’s wettest year on record, and Brisbane has had the most rain since the ’74 floods. Central Queensland has been smashed by flood waters, getting international coverage, with flood reportedly covering the same area as France and Germany combined, or New South Wales, depending on the source.

I’d heard a bit about the Kilcoy-Murgon road area so decided to have a look around that way. First stop was Dayboro, via Kobble Creek Road and Lees Crossing.

Kobble Creek Road:

“Water on the road” – what’s the challenge here?

Oh – they mean this:

Closer inspection showed a slimy base, but not too deep – normally not an issue, but you’re on your lonesome remember . . . ah, walk it!

When I got near the wakes of the guide posts, the velocity was enough to sweep my leading foot away, with no grip on the slime. Discretion prevailed, and I backtracked. Saved my limited water crossing skills for later in the day, as it transpired.

What – Amish Ahead ? We’re not in Pennsylvania !

Took the Ocean View option – overcast, but no rain yet:

I’ve heard of spelling Bees, but Spelling Farms?

Stanley River – probably not this high normally:

Looking for a short cut near Villeneuve:

Don’t think the postie gets here very often:

Wonder what deserves the CCTV (camera on the pole to the right) ? Don’t think I’ll hang around here!

You often see the DR compared to a tractor . . . how about a tank?

The Kilcoy Returned Servicemen’s Club must have connections – that’s a Leopard 1, recently replaced in Australian service by second-hand Abrams from the States.

What’s that Mr Ed – rain’s coming? He wasn’t wrong, as it transpired:

Another Kilcoy military connection – the chimney from a World War 2 army camp just out of town:

This must be the hives for the Spelling Bees from the Spelling Farm:

Heading to Jimna, just after reaching Connondale National Park, the clouds broke. I’d been thinking about stopping to put my weather liners in . . . remember what I said about prevaricating!
Eventually got them on in a fashion, balancing on my boots, keeping my socksies dry (for the time being). Rode on to Jimna where I decided a break would be wise. No mobile signal, so couldn’t check the weather radar . . . may have decided my fate differently if I could have done this.

Jimna shelter:

and the rain:

When there was a break in the rain, I moved on – this is Jimna fire tower – now decommissioned, and replaced by video monitoring. The locals want it refurbished and maintained for heritage value – it was only built in the 70s.

At last, I reach the start of the dirt section of Kilcoy-Murgon Road. It’s like the South East Freeway initially, and very little traffic:

Sections are being logged, and I go to investigate:

Doesn’t seem too active, but I mind the signs and move on:

But not before an arty-farty mirror-shot - Goosefeather of the Bush:
(glad I choose to wear the full face to avoid being sand-blasted by rain)

The road is not so flash up in the north:

But I’m drying out and all is well.

Eventually I realise it’s getting late, and I’m still heading north away from home – time to head west /south home:

Past Elgin Vale, I look for, and find, the Linville track, but it’s very slippery, the rain’s returning and the sun is getting lower, so discretion prevails again, and I back out:

I make for the D'Aguilar Highway. When I arrive at Nanango – oops – am I really this far north, I go to take the obligatory “bike in the dragline bucket”, only to discover my phone is flat.
No photo. And no comms. And it’s late. And it’s 188km back home. My wife will not be impressed!

Here’s where the photo should have been – the bucket is from a nearby coal mine:

I head south on the bitumen, and the heavens open again. I call home from a pay-phone in Yarraman – sorry dear – phone flat, I know it’s late, back in an hour and a half or so.

Opting to avoid the freeway traffic, I decided to take the Somerset Dam route home, and it’s more and more obvious it’s not gonna be fun. Serious rain. So I’m wet. Then it’s dark and wet. Then it’s cold, dark, and wet.

Then the wildlife comes out. I think I could reverse my GPS screen backlight and double the standard DR headlight output! One bunnie goes under the front wheel and up onto the brake pedal, so now it’s slow, cold, dark, and wet.

Feeling a little stuffed, I decide to miss the Mt Glorious windies and come in through Fernvale – back to the freeway traffic! Somewhere between Fernvale and Ipswich I hit this storm – the photos show it’s position after I got home, but you’ll get the drift:

Getting close to home, on the Inner City Bypass, my left leg cramps –so, you guessed it : now cramped, slow, cold, dark, and wet.

The overhead sign flashes – “ICB closed due to flooding at Breakfast Creek”, so I take the Sandgate Rd exit, only to find flash flooding at the Mayne Mobil. No problems – have adventure bike, and my brain is suitable numbed from being slow, cold, dark, and wet, and the challenge has chased the cramp away. No discretion exercised whatsoever - It was fairly deep – cars stuck, and I went a bit fast, so water was splashing up around headlight. But having fun until I hit the bow wave of an oncoming LandCruiser, which filled my boots .

Round the corner to McDonalds at Albion, and another urban creek crossing. Then another before home, where Fire Service were pulling people from cars – detoured around that and left them to their business.

Turns out the storm dumped about 80 mm (or 3 inches) of rain in a couple of hours – there was a lot of flash flooding.

Finally, home, a hot shower, and a bit of an ear-bashing from my wife . . . deservedly so – was riding in crap conditions – should have pulled up somewhere.

Still – an adventuresome day, and all the rain washed the mud off!

The route:

Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
2wheeler10
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Great ride report Mr GFeather - bet you it was worth the ear bashing when you got home....late.

2wheeler10 screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 11:48 PM
2wheeler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,037
Gees Gregor.... that is an ADV ride.

You need a bigger clock on the Suzy... you know... leave home at 10.. turn around at 2 and be home at 6!

Perhaps a big dial 8 hour timer... set it to 4 hours... and when it buzzes you turn for home!!!

Riding in the dark through a storm with Japanese trail bike headlights....

"Death Wish 650" starring Goose Feather.

Mate.. we'll be making camp at 16:00 each day come next May's cruise to the desert's edge. I am a motorcycle coward when the sun goes down.

Great ride report.. phone pics are fine.. just need a little tweak!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Nice report GF... It would have been interesting to see the creek crossings on the Linville Trk (Western Branch Rd) There are about 20 odd to get to Linville from Elgin Vale....

Rob
Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
Goosefeather OP
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Nice report GF... It would have been interesting to see the creek crossings on the Linville Trk (Western Branch Rd) There are about 20 odd to get to Linville from Elgin Vale....

Rob
I've heard it's a good ride - may save it for a drier day :)
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
I've heard it's a good ride - may save it for a drier day :)
Good idea... yell out if you want some company. I know some tracks up that way I think you'd like....
Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
GREAT REPORT thanks for sharing.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,440
Never been to your part of the globe, but it sure is on the bucket list. Nice ride report, thanks for bringing your part of the world a little closer.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
QDogg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Cool!
Wasn't aware of the Leopard at Kilcoy.
Served in 1st Armoured Regiment (Darwin) for six years on those.
Sounds like a real good excuse to get out there.

QDogg screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 08:59 PM
QDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Great RR

Very good report. some great photos
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,364
Nice RR Goosefeather. I used to live up in Maleny and it was nice to revisit some of the old riding area with your photos. Thanks for sharing and glad you and the bike got home in good nick.
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Thanks for the report and pics.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Mcscabby
Foolish Fellow

Oddometer: 44
Thumb

Looks like a good trip Goosefeather. Thanks for the report

DR650SE '09 for crusin'
YZF-R1 '08 for speeeeeeeeed!
KTM 250 EXC '99 whoa!
Mcscabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Good report. Really puts a face on what we have been seeing in the news.

2013 KLR 650
2012 BMW R1200RT
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Tx for the ride report, Goosefeather.

BTW, do people make sleeping bag jokes about your name? Does it get you down?
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote