ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
bash3r OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Crafty, who is posting my tracks to your web site?

Edit: Let me explain my concern. I am careful to update my tracks as changes take place to keep them legit (MVUM, land use changes, etc). I only continue with this thought in this thread because it will be of interest to all of us that post tracks. Once a route is republished by someone else on a site out of visibility or control of the person responsible for the file, those changes can be lost, people can violate inadvertently, and the author gets slammed for putting out a bad track or one that does not abide by the rules. Case in point - a forest superintended I coordinated a track with contacted me the other day to let me know that new restrictions are in place that required me to alter the track. I made the changes, took down the old file, and put up the new one to get everyone legit. I don't want to belabor this in the thread, so I'll get with you off line. I don't know that it is a good idea for anyone to be able to post someone else's track without references to the source and a warning to verify with the source.
Great point, Cannonshot... I make sure I only post routes that I've actually ridden and are MY tracks.

With that note we must remember the TMOT is in progress and should be publicized as such, until it's officially been ridden and documented. I know BigDog has ridden his TMOT contributed route, so no worries there...

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Bigdog know's his Missouri trails!! Rode a few chasing those grist mills!!!
He's great with tracks & waypoints. Probably the only one I've met that maxed out the Garmin 276c waypoint limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeU
LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
cman
cman

Oddometer: 270
This is awesome. Can't wait to see some routes. Guess I will need to break down and figure out a GPS to buy. 2 Thumbs up to this thread.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
bash3r OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
Bigdog know's his Missouri trails!! Rode a few chasing those grist mills!!!
He's great with tracks & waypoints. Probably the only one I've met that maxed out the Garmin 276c waypoint limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeU
You got that right, and after trying to find a 276c for myself, I think he bought every last one of them, got them hidden in a bunker behind the house... haha!

Stay tuned.. hope to get more plotting done this weekend.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
This looks like it's going to integrate perfectly into my travel plans this summer. Here's the thing...

I'm working with an old Etrex with the city Navigator card, so GPX files do me exactly no good. Is there any way I can get a fairly detailed map of this trail or some lat/long fixes?

And before anyone says anything about the disk vs the card, at the time I got city navigator it was NOT available for the Mac, and I'm pretty sure it still isn't.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
I believe a friend of mine got it for her Mac last year.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I'm working with an old Etrex with the city Navigator card, so GPX files do me exactly no good. Is there any way I can get a fairly detailed map of this trail or some lat/long fixes?
An e-trex will store 10 track logs---this .gpx file only has one track log.
You don't even need a map on your gps to follow a track log---of course everyone wants one.

New versions of Garmins mapsource mapping software will open a .gpx file--then all you have to do is upload it into your e-trex----------it's a one second click of the mouse.

If you had garmin mapsource ---you could zoom in and print out all the detailed maps you wanted.

Writing down a bunch of coordinates would take a month-------I like using the one second click of the mouse method

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I can't wait for the weather to get a little warmer so that I can ride some of these
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #24
bash3r OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
As long as you bring it up - Carfeful with the "MY Tracks"......

How 'bout some credit where it is due.....a lot of computer time and riding went into plotting these.......amongst a few other Tracks on your listing......we're all in this together right.....?

SBR1 - pjensen641
SBR2 - ThumperDRZ
SBR3 - ThumperDRZ
Ashley Creek - ThumperDRZ....Even though Cannonshot and friends got to experience the wrath of deep water there first....

(Hey Bryan )
Gary, as in "MY tracks" I meant just that.. my tracks but not my routes. Said differently, those I've actually ridden and confirmed are passable so we don't send people down a dead end like Cannon was saying. But by no means saying "I created them". Only way I could say that is if I dozed the road and laid the gravel.. lol.

If there are any routes that need to be removed please let me know. Like I mentioned earlier I wasn't even going to include the SBR routes but threw them in there because of how popular the SBR has become.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
When I can get some tracks cleaned up (and ride a few parts) I have a straight shot ride from Iowa to Arkansas staying pretty much east of Rolla ....down south by Eminence is Buzzez inspired which probably means be careful if there are Spring rains.........including a detour of the Tram Trail he told me about which is another story in itself.....We stopped by there on our way back from Arkansas in 07 but it was all mud from the bad rains so we blew it off...In '08 I plotted a ride to camp and visit but didn't get to go due to unforeseen circumstances......but everyone told me what a great time they had.....

On Hiatus

ThumperDRZ screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 08:33 AM
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
bash3r OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All good! ...probably came out wrong but a crap load of effort goes into laying out rides...as folks who do it on here understand.....

and I've sure been down many a dead end.....

When I can get some tracks cleaned up (and ride a few parts) I have a straight shot ride from Iowa to Arkansas staying pretty much east of Rolla ....down south by Eminence is Buzzez inspired which probably means be careful if there are Spring rains.........including a detour of the Tram Trail he told me about which is another story in itself.....We stopped by there on our way back from Arkansas in 07 but it was all mud from the bad rains so we blew it off...In '08 I plotted a ride to camp and visit but didn't get to go due to unforeseen circumstances......but everyone told me what a great time they had.....
Hey Gary.. should we note the snot crossings?! Maybe a special icon for those suckers!

North Missouri is a quadrant we need some routes for. I have no clue what's of interest up there as far as cool things to see ?!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 936
Northern Missouri

I know that there is a lot of stuff in N. Missouri, but most of my time has been spent pretty much south of I-70. On the MS-150 bike ride this past year I drove some gravel roads in a SAG van trying to cut over to another part of the bike route, so there are gravel roads up that way that run between paved county roads. Up north of Sturgeon.

I have been over to visit Thousand Hills State Park outside of Kirksville, which has a really nice lake and campgrounds.

Looks like this project has a good start and is picking up momentum!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Hey Gary.. should we note the snot crossings?! Maybe a special icon for those suckers!

North Missouri is a quadrant we need some routes for. I have no clue what's of interest up there as far as cool things to see ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian
I know that there is a lot of stuff in N. Missouri, but most of my time has been spent pretty much south of I-70. On the MS-150 bike ride this past year I drove some gravel roads in a SAG van trying to cut over to another part of the bike route, so there are gravel roads up that way that run between paved county roads. Up north of Sturgeon.

I have been over to visit Thousand Hills State Park outside of Kirksville, which has a really nice lake and campgrounds.

Looks like this project has a good start and is picking up momentum!
Up though Hannibal is a great ride staying by the river.....I have it plotted with almost all gravel and for a first timer would be a great ride. I went to College in Kirksville and there are gravel roads everywhere up that way....we used to head 5 miles any way out of town on a gravel road and go fishing....loved it up there.....I used to hang at Thousand Hills State Park but back then it was about beer, frisbees, and hot wimmins . I'm in for a ride up north for some plotting this summer......See if we can't link the TWAT with the TIT (Trans Iowa Trail) to the TMOT and the TART

That is if there is a TIT - Pete you listening?

EDIT: I see the TIT is 205...(Trans Illinois Trail and Trans Iowa Trail) so I guess that means there will be two of them

On Hiatus

ThumperDRZ screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 07:11 AM
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
svr700
wrrider

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Up though Hannibal is a great ride staying by the river.....I have it plotted with almost all gravel and for a first timer would be a great ride. I went to College in Kirksville and there are gravel roads everywhere up that way....we used to head 5 miles any way out of town on a gravel road and go fishing....loved it up there.....I used to hang at Thousand Hills State Park but back then it was about beer, frisbees, and hot wimmins . I'm in for a ride up north for some plotting this summer......See if we can't link the TWAT with the TIT (Trans Iowa Trail) to the TMOT and the TART

That is if there is a TIT - Pete you listening?
EDIT: I see the TIT is 205...(Trans Illinois Trail and Trans Iowa Trail) so I guess that means there will be two of them

Shouldn't Illinois be TILT?

svr700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #30
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 290
I feel I must add my two cents worth. Laying out a trail across Missouri is a fine idea but it can not be done with a committee. I suspect Sam Correro knew that so he did the TAT by himself. Or at least, with no committee.

Getting ideas from others is a grand idea. But sooner or later SOME ONE person is going to have to be the leader. Take responsibility on whether you turn left or right at intersection A and then DO IT.

All of us will appreciate his efforts. Most of us will follow and be thankful we have a continuous trail to ride. All of us could make minor improvements but all of us CAN'T. Or it will never get done.

Bash3r, Big Dog and DRZ Charlie may need to take the bull by the horns.
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote