User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
randman59 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
9 Provinces, 10 states, 13,300 kilometres

Just got back from a 1 month excursion from Victoria, British Columbia to Cape Brenton, Nova Scotia and back. 2008 F650GS twin (mine) 2009 F650GS twin and a 2010 Triumph Street Triple. All ran fine with no repairs required, oil changes half way through and a new tire on the Triumph.

Some gear thoughts.

- The BMW's ran flawlessly. For anyone concerned, the F650's 800cc motor puts out more than enough power to pull heavy guys with way too much stuff over mountain passes at speeds well in excess of the speed limit. Never downshifted once unless I wanted to pass some quick.

-Garman Zumo 660 was very helpful, but when I saw another guys 665 with Doppler radar got a little jealous.

-Jesse Luggage kept everything safe and dry.

-Aerostich Roadcrafter suit was somewhat warm in the very few hot days we had. 38-30 degrees showed the air flow from the vents seemed inadequate. After many days of torrential I was getting soaked thought the roadcrafter. We stopped by the Aerostich factory and they suggested washing the outfit and applying a spray based water repellant before throwing it in the dryer. This seemed to help.

-Scala Cardo G4. We bought 3 of these and they caused us endless trouble until after a week we found out how to do a factory re-set. They seemed to work fine after that but still needed the odd re-booting and adjustments. They were very finicky to use.

-Michelin Anakees. The two BMW threw new ones on just prior to leaving, after 13,333 km I would guess they are 3/4 done. I only wanted them to last the duration of the trip, so they did their job.

-Scott oiler. I had a scott oiler on my bike, the chain always seemed well lubed, and in fact cleaner than the same bike without the auto oiler. That could be because the excess oil was picking up dirt and throwing it off (as evidenced by some excess oil spray on the jesse bags.

-Giant Loop Fandango Tank bag. I bought this bag because it looked the most waterproof, and did all the seam sealing as suggested. The first rain storm, everything was wet inside. I think the bottom zipper wicks up the water and transfers it to the inside. After drying the bag I smeared the entire bottom with black silicone and it seemed to reduce the problem quite a bit. It would The plastic cover would still get condensation on it so my SLR would go into a zip lock every time we expected rain (most days). I also electrified my bag with the Powerlet kit. It worked great but the Iphone would get overheated under the plastic map cover on the sunny days.

-Sargent seat. It was an improvement over the factory seat, but I still looked forward to getting off it after several hours for a break. We rode for 7+ hours some days, and I was not carried off the bike so it seemed to work good.

-Black Powder coated rims. Besides making the bike look better, it seemed to improve gas mileage. both GS's were about equally loaded but I seemed to put about 20-60 cents less gas in my bike at every fill up. Just kidding about the black rims, but the only thing I would suggest is the Jesse bags are more streamlined than the stock BMW bags. The additional drag may have caused worse milage on the expanded BMW bags.
Attached Images

08 F650GS - BMW Hand protectors, BMW touring windshield, Zumo 660, Sargent Enduro, skid plate, black powder coated rims, Heidenau K60, Jesse luggage, Giant Loop Fandango, Scott oiler, BMW headlight protector,Wunderlich rad guard
randman59 is offline   Reply With Quote