Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #76
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 246
Thanks Brian and Dave, I just ordered a pair. Brian called and we talked about the type of riding I do and decided the G-Adv's would be just the ticket

Jerry
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #77
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Just a note that I received the boots today, on my birthday
A big thanks to Brian as he went out of his way to get them to me and had them drop shipped from the distributor.
And they fit like a glove, I'm wearing them now with shorts, wife won't let me go out side

Jerry
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #78
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
This thread has been very helpful in my quest for boots!

Brian, I just placed an order with Atomic for G-Advs in 8 - are these actually a Euro 41? I followed the advice you gave previously and checked my other shoes last night. All of them are 41, so I'm pretty confident this would be the right size...
Snowkarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #79
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Saw that, and left you a voice mail. If you are a 41, these will be fine.

BP
Thanks Brian. Good talking to you, looking forward to getting these!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #80
ScottJ
Wandering Jew/Sally Tribe

Oddometer: 116
A question or 2 for those who have been using this boot. How is the ankle and heel protection? Also how far up the calf does this boot go? Please also update with any issues/complaints or what you really like about this boot.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #81
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Not having used the boot in a fall I can't tell how good the heel and ankle protection will be but there is a rib on the outside of the boots that would protect the ankle and the heel box seems to be of stiffer construction then the rest of the boot. They come up 12" from the bottom of my heel. I wore these all last week for over 1200 miles in temps from high 30's to high 90's with no discomfort at all. Walked all over the Laws railroad museum and RailTown in Jamestown and found them very good for walking around in. No complaints at all with these, they are flexible enough to make shifting easy and have a decent feel for the rear brake. The lugged sole does require a little higher lift for downshifting than a thinner soled boot would but nothing that would cause a problem. I like them.

Jerry
Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #82
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,158
I like that they are waterproof. I have ridden in torrential downpours and my feet stay dry.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #83
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Scott.

The basic boot quality is excellent (like all Gaerne's) and there is some heel protection. The silhouette of the boot looks aggressive, but the ankle protection is limited and the boot is fairly soft. I would characterize it as a boot for 80% - 90% street. If you have any significant off road in your riding, I would say the G-Adventure is not the correct model.

Hope that helps.

BP
very helpful insight would you mind coming on over here for some more of the same?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #84
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Has anyone had to wear them through a metal detector (like airport) because I ride to work (US Nuclear Plant) and then go through security and pass through the explosives detectors and the metal detectors. Wearing a boot/shoe with a steel shank that sets off the detectors means that you have to drop to socks and pass the boots through the small artical X-Rax machine, and in the rain this means walking in socks on a potentially wet floor and also taking the time to do this holds up the line.

Brian,

I see you talking a few times that these are soft and not of the most heal/ankle protection compared to some other options. In a waterproof boot and at this price point, is there another boot that offers a good winter boot style tread, real and honest lasting waterproof construction and comfortable enough to be walked in moderately and yet add additional crushing/twisting protection? I actually like the race style boots for my summer use with the enhanced and large coverage hard plastic panels that would distribute loads and help minimize bone crushing in the envent of a get off.

Right now, this boot is high on my short list of prospects.

Larry
Visit my Amsoil site here:
http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #85
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,158
I wore mine to the airport, but you have to take your shoes off and run them through the xray machine.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #86
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Larry,

No steel shank, they will pass through fine.

The conversation about protection is a moving target. It is predicated on finding a midpoint between an MX boot and a street boot, and people have wildly different interpretations. For example, read a few threads where people say that they need something lighter than an MX boot, and you'll see someone recommend Sidi Crossfires. Which are an MX boot.

My baseline and opinion are driven by a few thoughts: first, people should wear as much boot as they can tolerate. The feet and legs get banged around more than most other body parts. If there is one area where I want my customers to err toward protection, it is with boots.

That said, it is not practical to wear, suggest to wear, or ridicule people who do not wear, MX boots all the time. A great case can be made that everyone should, but there is a tidal wave of people who want something lighter. Once you accept that some ADV riders will not wear MX boots under any circumstances, then you have to analyze other riding and construction criteria. At that point it starts to resemble a "best dual sport bike" conversation. Sometimes these get pretty stupid, but as a retailer I bite my tongue and force myself to STFU.

IMO there are a few things people should look for in an ADV boot:

1. Sufficient height and calf adjustment to fit an MX style knee guard into the boot. It is ridiculous to read people argue passionately about boot protection, who ride off road with the stupid, lame-ass CE armor in most pants. A complete joke.

2. Reinforcement in the ankle area to prevent rolling. Usually this is given by external plastic reinforcements, internal molded supports, or just the stiffness of the leather.

3. Sufficient Height, leather stiffness, and clamping force to fasten the boot tightly to the leg, so twisting force of the foot is transferred into the structure of the boot instead of into the ankle soft tissue (or into the tib/fib). I personally destroyed my right ankle (testing a street boot, ironically) because of a lack of this. Some support against this can also be given by the ankle bracing, depending on the shape. Disc-shaped inserts do little. MX-style plastic overlays do a lot. YMMV.

4. Rigidity along the footbed. This is the one that everyone misses. In 1999 Alps did a study of foot and leg injuries of MotoGP riders. We reviewed video of every single crash that occurred, in all three classes, practice and races. Drove down to meet with Dr. Costa, talked to riders, blah blah blah. Most of the foot injuries were to the metatarsals, presumably because the toe either folded across the footbed or the footbed folded along its length, and crushed the bones. So for me, I look at the flex in the toe area as much as the support in the ankle. This is the thing that most people miss, a boot should be somewhat rigid along the footbed. But toe flex is also the thing that makes it easy or hard to walk.

I hear a lot of talk about protection against crushing the ankle and leg. Of course more protection is always better, but I don't see a lot of this. I see anecdotal stuff, but whenever I see something firsthand, it is usually twisting, crushing the metatarsals, or smashing the tib/fib. Still, even if a potential incident is an anomaly, it is a good idea to insulate yourself from it.

I feel the Gaerne Balance and the Sidi Discovery (both of which I like) are the midpoint or 50/50 point of boot construction between an MX boot and a soft street boot. I base this on the components used in the construction, and on my riding, customer, and work experience. Boots like the Sidi Adventure (which I do not like) are more to the side of MX boots, and boots like the G-Adv (which I am lukewarm on) are to the side of street boot.

I think the G-ADV is very well made, but it is slightly soft for what I feel is needed off road. But there are some apps where it is perfect. I have some law enforcement professionals that need a boot they can walk (and run) in, for obvious reasons. Can't do that in a Balance, Disco, etc. The G-ADV is perfect for them. It sounds like they fit your app. I don't really see you walking around the nuke all day in SG12s or Crossfires.

Hopefully this helps you determine if it is correct for you.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #87
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Brian,

Thank for that well thought out reply. Just a note, I ride 500 street miles for every off road mile. And at work, I swap to my Redwing work boots. I do a great deal of commuting, about 250 miles per week. I also enjoy my weekends by taking off for rides that can be just a couple hours, or 600+ miles in one day. Im not really into the dirt any longer, but when I am, I go MC gear on my KLX250 and not on my fat street oriented bikes (KLR650 and DL1000).

Im not looking for a bit that can serve as a shiftly duty boot, but to be able to walk discretely in stores or at the ride destination is a plus.

I have been drawn to the stunt style boots because although stiff, they strike me as offering some improved protection over the typical street style boot. I would say that armor and protection with injury resistance carry more value with me than long distance walking comfort. I'm fairly serious about dressing for the unwanted slide.

So with some additional data on me, what would be your professional recommendation?
Visit my Amsoil site here:
http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #88
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Brian,

Thank for that well thought out reply. Just a note, I ride 500 street miles for every off road mile. And at work, I swap to my Redwing work boots. I do a great deal of commuting, about 250 miles per week. I also enjoy my weekends by taking off for rides that can be just a couple hours, or 600+ miles in one day. Im not really into the dirt any longer, but when I am, I go MC gear on my KLX250 and not on my fat street oriented bikes (KLR650 and DL1000).

Im not looking for a bit that can serve as a shiftly duty boot, but to be able to walk discretely in stores or at the ride destination is a plus.

I have been drawn to the stunt style boots because although stiff, they strike me as offering some improved protection over the typical street style boot. I would say that armor and protection with injury resistance carry more value with me than long distance walking comfort. I'm fairly serious about dressing for the unwanted slide.

So with some additional data on me, what would be your professional recommendation?
Hi Larry.

This is the equip forum, not vendors, but my opinions are still based on what I like - not what I sell. Based on your comments, I would say the G-Adv is not for you....too biased toward comfort. I would look at the Gaerne Balance, G-Midland, Alps Scout, Alps Durban, Sidi Discovery, Sidi Adventure. Probably a TCX model or two in there, and I am sure I missed several models that are private labeled for various brands and made in Asia. My favorite is the Balance because of the simple, high quality materials and construction. I am a borderline evangelist for those, they remind me of MX boots from the 80s. Discoveries are probably my next favorite, I love Sidi as a company but I cannot wear them as they are too narrow. I like simple, strong, products with good materials more than lots of features. Example, I like full-grain leather, especially on a premium boot. It is a turn-off for me to see PU coated leather on a premium boot.

You can probably use a full street boot, as there is so little dirt in your riding. That opens up dozens of choices. But any serious discussion about boot quality eventually ends up at Alps, Gaerne, and Sidi. IMO the latter two are more meticulous, presumably because they do footwear only.

Not a fan of shorty boots - despise them. They are a safety red herring....the fact that they do not go up the leg and clamp to it means your foot can twist easily. This is really risky for the ankle soft tissue and tib/fib.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #89
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Got my boots - thanks to Brian and Atomic! Wonderful service and quick to Canada. As a bonus, customs didn't pull the box off the line, so it was a tax and duty free purchase for me. Made my week!

I have flat, wide feet and find it difficult to find comfortable footwear, especially from European manufacturers. Plus narrow ankles and calves. Nothing from Sidi, Alpinestars or BMW has fit me, so I was hopeful but prepared for disappointment with the G-Advs. I LOVE these boots. They fit like sneakers even without break-in, have a nice flat footbed, and the three buckles actually have enough adjustment and clamping to lock my heels and ankles into the boot without bottoming out, which has been a huge problem for me with the slip-ons and zip-ups that are common in touring models.

I don't think I would want to ride off-road with them (except maybe a FSR or something), as they are just too soft and squishy compared to an MX. But they make for a killer pair of long-distance road touring or commuting boots - a bit beefier and with more protection than many street-oriented models, nice hiking-boot lug soles for traction, waterproof, comfortable enough for walking, and if you pull jeans over the top, they are extremely discreet despite the fact that they use MX-style buckles. It would have to be a really fancy place for me to feel uncomfortable wearing them around

So for me - best road touring boot I've seen yet. Off-road ADV, not so much.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #90
YOEI66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Brian...or anyone else sized 8.5 who owns this boot,

I think the G-Adventure may be the boot I've been looking for. Question for you on size...I'm a 8.5 US size on everything I wear, which is sized in US sizes. In euro it seems to depend on brand name, sometimes a 41 sometimes a 42. I see that there are no half sizes available. Have you had "half size" customer in this going up or down to the available sizes?