Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
Longbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I can. I taught Police Motors for 23 years and have riden that course on 1000 Kaws, Road Kings,and my favorite, Christine,my FXRP.
Longbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsMyNeed View Post
I betcha all I can do it!........... Walking
But not chewing gum at the same time.

Flashy ... but I don't thing that adds anything to the training of the motor-cops at THAT level of complexity.

I want to go and see them do it ... and gamble!!! and drink!!!!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #33
KLXplode
Desert Hunter

Oddometer: 980
The man deffinately has some skills!

The Collection:
-1985 Bronco II: Top chopped off. Off road lights/bumper. 2 12" subs. 5 Speed manual

-1993 Kawasaki KLX650R(Green Goblin). Trying to plate

"Trials is an amazing sport. You can get hurt really really bad without even leaving the campsite!

"Its not how fast your going, its about how fast your fast comes to a stop"
KLXplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #34
Gray Dragon
Geezer rider

Oddometer: 319
Our Police Department held a motorcycle safety expo a couple of years ago. The motor cops set up a course that involved a couple of 90 degree turns, U-turns (both ways) a circle, and a small slalom.

The cops were able to do it pretty easily on their big HDs. Afterward explaining the course they allowed the audience to try their hand at it. Of the ~30 who attempted only two got through with out putting a foot down. One guy on a '70s vintage moped and a Harley stunt rider (whom did the course while sitting on the handlebars a 1200 Sportster).

Never buy a fur coat from a man being chased by a naked bear.
Gray Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Those guys never scratch the plastic on the RTs. The crash bars are beat to sh!t, though.

A couple local departments have gone back to Kawasakis- C14s. They were still getting the bikes dialed in when I talked to them last summer; be interesting to see how they're set up this coming summer.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #36
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 825
Its a tough thing to do...but with a lot of practice I bet most of us could get there. I have to remind you that riding bikes is what they do for living. So if you are out there 5 hours a day practicing yes...it could be done...in a year or something but it could.

On the other hand , although this IS impressive, I have seen Japanese cops doing this shit....trust me .....fucking serious shit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ-pTyQZJng
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #37
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran69 View Post
Its a tough thing to do...but with a lot of practice I bet most of us could get there. I have to remind you that riding bikes is what they do for living. So if you are out there 5 hours a day practicing yes...it could be done...in a year or something but it could.
On the other hand , although this IS impressive, I have seen Japanese cops doing this shit....trust me .....fucking serious shit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ-pTyQZJng

Boy, you just beat me to this. I even looked up the Japanese video embed code before I saw your post. Great minds think alike.

I agree with what you wrote. If I was to get paid for riding and for training, I be probably pretty good, too. Maybe not as good as the rider in the video, but pretty good. Unfortunately, my work interferes with my recreation.

Anyway, here is the Japanese contest video. Hard to beat these guys.

rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
malibug OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
wow!!

wow these Japanese riders are so goooood!!!...

but, filipinos are the best acrobatic riders-----> http://youtu.be/VPbqI5HLXJk
malibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #39
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Nice!

Useful or not it would be cool to have that skill set!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"...The fellows who are really into this will often purchase an ex-PD bike just to practice. I suspect that lots of these guys spend considerable time "off the clock" in the back of the station parking lot, I think that's were they find out just how far you can lean into it before it gets away from you.
My brother is a motorcop and that's exactly what he did. He bought a POS kawi and rode what was left of it out in parking lots practicing. Seemed to me like an extreme waste of time but he said that police spend most of their time patroling at slow speeds so they need the control. I have to admit that he's pretty good in a parking lot but I can still smoke his rear at Willow Springs. Does that make him a more skilled rider???
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #41
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Those guys usually spend around 120 hours of training just doing that!
Alameda County Civilian Moto Course teaches that stuff. After their basic class I could just barely do it on an 18ft turning course on my Multistrada or one of their KZ1000Ps. The one they use for the test is 16ft. Of course now I can bust out single lane u-turns over and over all day which is cool.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #42
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
I did a 2 week police motor school last year. Spent almost the whole first week just practicing a course similar to that. With practice most riders could do it. We rode HD Electraglides, I remember thinking how much easier it would have been on my DR650.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #43
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbo View Post
I can. I taught Police Motors for 23 years and have riden that course on 1000 Kaws, Road Kings,and my favorite, Christine,my FXRP.
Of all the keyboard jockeys here saying "I could do it" "technically kind of basic" "not that hard" --- You're the only one I believe.

$10 says most guys that posted how easy it is couldn't do one dough-nut on their steering stop without putting a foot down or falling over..
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #44
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Of all the keyboard jockeys here saying "I could do it" "technically kind of basic" "not that hard" --- You're the only one I believe.

$10 says most guys that posted how easy it is couldn't do one dough-nut on their steering stop without putting a foot down or falling over..

Unless you are totally incompetent, you could do it to. (With proper instruction and practice...)
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #45
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Unless you are totally incompetent, you could do it to. (With proper instruction and practice...)
I doubt it.
.... and I practice slow speed maneuvers on the stops quite regularly.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote