Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #46
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
...... Shipped today..... be here Monday...next week..... I`m going To Carlsbad,CA this Friday to Tuesday...... So I would not have been able to do anything until then anyway..... The spoilers for the hand guards are baking as we speak.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #47
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Being completely drunk at the moment, I would like to say I want to see this build too!!

Having a tiny bit of carbon fiber pre-preg experience, I would also like to see the pattern you are going to cut out, with respect to the bi-directional (90 deg) fiber you will use.

Creating a box out of foam is one thing... knowing how to lay up the layers of fiber and the geometry of those layers is a whole different story.

EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #48
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,717
Ebrabeak, Coming from an off road background, I would fear having Carbin fiber for hand covers. In an "over the bars" event they might cut your hands off :(. The plastic ones would bend before cutting skin.

Maybe use some plastic bolts or rivets to hold them on giving you a shear point. Or maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #49
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Ebrabeak, Coming from an off road background, I would fear having Carbin fiber for hand covers. In an "over the bars" event they might cut your hands off :(. The plastic ones would bend before cutting skin.

Maybe use some plastic bolts or rivets to hold them on giving you a shear point. Or maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Just my thoughts.
Not to worry, the cabon* fiber hand guards should flex and destroy themselves in relatively the same force as the plastic ones. If the edge is managed and not super sharp there is not much to worry about. Carbon may be more rigid than plastic but it is true only when the carbon is laid in a manner conducive to such behavior.
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #50
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Being completely drunk at the moment, I would like to say I want to see this build too!!

Having a tiny bit of carbon fiber pre-preg experience, I would also like to see the pattern you are going to cut out, with respect to the bi-directional (90 deg) fiber you will use.

Creating a box out of foam is one thing... knowing how to lay up the layers of fiber and the geometry of those layers is a whole different story.

When I saw your post.... I had to pour a shot of Linie Aquavit....( Viking bitter)....Just so we are on the same twig........ Yeppers..... You have to get the planets aligned.... well ...perhaps not that severe.... But I get to practice the first two layers with Kevlar49..... Yay.......
Then 2x2 CF twill.... Just because it looks cool....and after putting it under my spell several years ago.... It behaves nicely around me.
Patterns..... Not quite sure yet.... But I`l post pic`s..... Cheers....

Erling
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #51
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok.... Not looking as cool as I thought.... But It`l do the job......

Erling
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #52
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post

Just my thoughts.
Valid point...... Which is why I use this epoxy/CF combo........

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_0977.mp4

Edges and corners are nice and round...... as well. The above video is of a header heat shield.....there are only two layers of CF in that.....and 4 in the hand guards.... Flexes about as well as plastic.....and has memory.....

Erling
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #53
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Valid point...... Which is why I use this epoxy/CF combo........

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_0977.mp4

Edges and corners are nice and round...... as well. The above video is of a header heat shield.....there are only two layers of CF in that.....and 4 in the hand guards.... Flexes about as well as plastic.....and has memory.....

Erling
we used an epoxy in our racing bodywork and it was the most flexible on the market. I can't remember the resin but the hardener was an ancamide from air products
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 08:41 AM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #54
Andyhorror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thumb

subscribed
Andyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #55
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
When I saw your post.... I had to pour a shot of Linie Aquavit....( Viking bitter)....Just so we are on the same twig........ Yeppers.....
Erling
It was the shots of Gammel Dansk that always warmed me up. You have to be pretty tough to keep a straight face while drinking that.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #56
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
It was the shots of Gammel Dansk that always warmed me up. You have to be pretty tough to keep a straight face while drinking that.
My Fav.....Gammel Dansk...... Aquavit is a bit mellower..... But Gammel Dansk....will warm any man..... Better than a campfire...... A very acquired taste.....well....out side of Scandinavia.....

Erling
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #57
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Sorry... off topic, but:

"Gammel Dansk is an extremely popular alcoholic beverage in Denmark, which is often drunk in the morning with the breakfast meal. Its name translates directly from Danish as "old Danish".
Gammel Dansk is an example of what is called a bitters, and was originally used as a stomach cure or digestive. It is brewed with a great many herbs and spices, making it similar to other stomach bitters, such as Peychaud's Bitters, Campari or JSgermeister. These herbs and spices include rowanberry, angelica, star aniseed, nutmeg, anise, ginger, laurel, gentian, Seville orange and cinnamon"

Wow! My kinda breakfast juice !!!
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #58
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Sorry... off topic, but:

"Gammel Dansk is an extremely popular alcoholic beverage in Denmark, which is often drunk in the morning with the breakfast meal. Its name translates directly from Danish as "old Danish".
Gammel Dansk is an example of what is called a bitters, and was originally used as a stomach cure or digestive. It is brewed with a great many herbs and spices, making it similar to other stomach bitters, such as Peychaud's Bitters, Campari or JSgermeister. These herbs and spices include rowanberry, angelica, star aniseed, nutmeg, anise, ginger, laurel, gentian, Seville orange and cinnamon"

Wow! My kinda breakfast juice !!!
That`s what most say.....( non Scandinavians...)...until they try it...
I like it a lot...... But I`m from there.....

Erling
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #59
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
You may want to put some indentations or extrusions in the box for extra rigidity.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #60
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
You may want to put some indentations or extrusions in the box for extra rigidity.
After it`s done...... I will make a few structural honeycomb strips on the inside...... I thought about cutting the indentations in the foam, and just mold the fabric to follow....... But don`t mind the little extra time for the sammich layup..... and It`l look cleaner on the outside....and less areas to snag....when you collide it with the road.....

Erling