Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #61
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,633
I like your idea.. Had similar ideas and was discussing with a guy that makes fiberglass Harley saddle bags..
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #62
Stymitshinks
cowbeller

Oddometer: 27

“The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.”

-Tolkien
Stymitshinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #63
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Just an update..... Still waiting on the composites.... Wont be here until Tue jan 18`th.... Il be in socal from tomorrow until said tuesday anyway.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #64
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Wink

cant wait that long!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #65
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Erling
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #66
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

All right....... Got back tonight.... Composites came in.... Rotopax is in the house as well......So I`l start production in the am.....after a few shots of espresso........

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #67
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cry Casting has begun.....

I hate Kevlar...... It is evil.....created to protect man....except when you lay it up....
I started the process. Covering this subject.... There are a few thing's I need to cover. I am going to show a few things/procedures I commontly use....but as with anything.... there are hidden dangers....and You need to pay attention to what you do here..... Use common sense.....but if you torch your garage.....Don`t coma and blame me.... Or ADVrider...... I have been involved with the composites industry may years...although not proffessionally for several years....but I have played with all the toys available to man or woman. The whole thing I want to illustrate, is how to do this.... without the need for those very pricey things.
That said..... Let`s get on with it......
I layed up the Kevlar and cut it to rough size.....

A not on shears..... You can buy the greatest Kevlar shears in the world..... They will set you back a pretty penny....and wear fast....soon needing sharpening.... So I just go to the depot and fetch a pair of Fiskars finest....

Then you can just throw`em out when they wear out.....

Then I put the Kevlar over the first box.........

Cut the pattern you like....... And it is important to note that there is no right or wrong.... But more like what you prefer.....

Then Lay that pattern down... and cut 3 more....for a total of 4.....

Then you need to organize your work station......

To be continued.......

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #68
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool2 Mixing the resin...........

There are an arsenal of good epoxy`s....and polyesters....... The stuff I use is great...but so is a lot of other stuff..... I chose to use a high temp epoxy....just because it is amazingly strong....more so than the non temp curing epoxy.... And the left one will mount right up against the exhaust pipe.... This particular epoxy is a 4:1 ratio....and I try to make the mixing to within 1 gram..... Resin....

And hardener.....

Then brush a layer of the epoxy on the plug.....

I then lay up one layer of the Kevlar....and just for good measure....add a little flap on the top front......

Then add one layer of CF.....I just lay a sheet of CF down....and cut to size while it`s laying over the plug...... Adding a few extra pieces in the corners....

Then the final layer.....and then into the oven....... Here is where you need to be careful..... It`s cold in the desert..... and this stuff need to be heat cured at at least 250 deg.F. for a few hours....... So I build this makeshift box....to capture the heat, in the cold garage. I then use the heater on low ( 400 watts) The side facing the heater will get to 250 deg. F. while the other sides are about 125 deg. F. I simply just rotate the piece to get all sides cured. But as I said earlier.... watch out....and don`t torch your garage......

You don`t have to use the high temp stuff..... but I don`t mind the extra work....and will appreciate the extra strength.... It will now cure all evening....and tomorrow I will repeat the process with the other box...... Enjoy...

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #69
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few notes.......
If you decide to do this job......... And use a epoxy which needs heat cure..... The foam I used will stay rigid up to about 250 deg.F. So the trick is to elevate the box to 250......and then after all sides are cured...... Then you remove the foam plug.... More on this later......
After the cure.... I will remove the foam....and lay up one more layer of Kevlar from the inside. See....the finish is not good after using foam as a plug.....so bu layering one additional layer of kevlar....will smooth it out. And.... It`s way easier to lay up against the outside from within..... Than the composites from the outside. I`l then take a look.....to see if it need`s another layer....and add that after sanding....... Until tomorrow......

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #70
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
now i dont have to grab hold lol
He-He.....

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #71
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,905
What's our structure going be? Kev carb honeycomb carb?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #72
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
What's our structure going be? Kev carb honeycomb carb?
There will be a few cross members made from 2mm honey comb... They will be added last......

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #73
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Just curious.... Will all the overlaps be visible once done, or is there more "magic" to be posted...?

Either way, i totally love your projects and talent man! Thanks!

BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #74
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Just curious.... Will all the overlaps be visible once done, or is there more "magic" to be posted...?

I make rustic composites....but that would be pushing the limits....
This picture was after the first layer....with one additional layer in the corners..... If you look at the picture in the "oven".... you can see that it looks different......after the second layer...... It will be sanded....and smooth....and very nice looking..... I promise. ... Just imagine pulling up to a ride with those rustic boxes hanging of the side...... I`d get mobbed........

Erling
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #75
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post

And....just so we can all sleep well tonight...... Sanded....ready for a final layer in the am......

Until then....

Erling