User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Luckyc1423 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Heavy set rider looking to get into enduro please help

I have been wanting a street legal dirt bike for a long time and I have done hours and hours of research but I want to verify a few things.

1) I am a pretty heavy rider at 280 pounds and 6'2"......I have been considering purchasing the ktm 500 exc as it should have no problem pushing my weight around. The big question is am I just to heavy to ride period with stock equipment? (I would rather not add to many aftermarket parts

2) I will be buying new. Should I buy now or wait for the 2014's to come in?

3) if my weight is a factor what will I need to do to beef it up? Links with the parts I need to order will go a long way.

Helpful notes: I haven't ridden a dirt bike in years. My first bike was a 125 four stroke which I loved. Then I bought a 250 2 stroke which I hated because at lower speeds it died way to often you literally had to be on the gas all the time to ride that thing.
Since then I have been riding mainly street bikes. "crouch rockets" cruisers...ect...
Riding style: the reason I want a dual sport is to be able to ride the back roads at my lake house legally. Mainly 1-2 lane country roads and forest service roads will be my main drive type. On occasion I will take her to do some trail riding. But I would say 80% backroads and 20% trails
I want the best of the best that's why I was looking into ktm. I want to know I can rip it and go fast but I also want to be able to go at slower speeds and enjoy the view.
I want the bike to feel and look like a dirt bike. I'm not interested in "road bikes" that can be taken off road. I want a dirt bike that can go on the street.

So is the ktm 500 exc the right bike? How much is my weight and height a factor?
I literally will never take her to a mx park and do huge jumps. Mainly back roads and trails and whatever "small" jumps mother nature provides.
Luckyc1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,759
You will need to re-spring for your weight. That is true for all but the targeted weight rider for the bike, so don't feel picked on.
You'll probably want to get a taller seat and a taller bar as well. It will add up to quite a few bucks, but you'll be happier in the end. Take your time and ease back in to riding. You will be on one of the best bikes to come around in a while.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Luckyc1423 OP
Adventurer

Ok assume I am clueless. What do I need to do to re-spring?
Were do I get a tall seat?
Were do I get raised bars?

What's the cost of everything?

Since I am buying new maybe I can negotiate the instillation of these parts through the dealer as I doubt I will know how to do this.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyc1423 View Post
Ok assume I am clueless. What do I need to do to re-spring?
Were do I get a tall seat?
Were do I get raised bars?

What's the cost of everything?

Since I am buying new maybe I can negotiate the instillation of these parts through the dealer as I doubt I will know how to do this.
Fork springs- front
Shock spring- rear
Skip the rest for now.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Beta 520

Look at America Beta .http://www.americanbeta.com/ and the build your own bike program. Bigger springs, seat, etc.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
What about the Honda XR650L?
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
so is the ktm 500 exc the right bike? How much is my weight and height a factor?
I literally will never take her to a mx park and do huge jumps. Mainly back roads and trails and whatever "small" jumps mother nature provides.
there are a lot worse bikes you could choose. IMHO the 500exc will be fine. if your buying new the dealer may be able to order it with heavier springs to suit your weight. The stock set up may be ok for what your wanting from it though. A good pre-loved 530 exc would also be a good bike.

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
What about the Honda XR650L?
What about it? It has a sky-high seat, mushy stock suspension tuned for a 160lb rider, and ergonomics to fit a 5'6" Japanese man. Other than that, it's a dead-simple dualsport with good ground clearance. The OP allegedly wants a plated dirtbike.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,176
big boy bike

Any of the 500-650s will do what you want. Any of the 500- 650s will be a handful on rough single track. The ride on any of the bikes will be improved if you tune the suspension for your weight. Since it sounds like you are an inexperienced dirt rider, there will be a learning curve for you before you get anywhere near your bikes potential. The learning curve for most riders features some bumps and bruises from judgement errors. The seriousness of your bumps and bruises can be affected by speed.

KTM is arguably the best off-road bike you can buy. You might want to look a different models to insure that you buy the best bike for your use.

Good luck and have fun.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,284
Quote:
I have been wanting a street legal dirt bike for a long time and I have done hours and hours of research but I want to verify a few things.
If by trails you mean single track, the KTM may be a great choice. But if by trails, you mean dirt roads, you may enjoy a dual sport that is fun to run around highways on and manageble on dirt roads, but likely not ideal for single track.

Because you are a big guy (tall), you have a fair number of options in the adv. bike world, even up to the 800's in various flavers like Triumph and BMW.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
Luckyc1423 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Fork springs- front
Shock spring- rear
Skip the rest for now.
How do I determine what size fork springs and shock springs to get? Is there some type of formula?
Am I better off ordering this from dealer or getting it off some website? What website is best to order from and what is the best product for my size and weight
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Oh you want a dual sport you can sometimes trail ride - IMHO the 500 EXC is NOT the bike for that/you. Its a dedicated offroad weapon that is awesome in the right hands. It has short service intervals due to it small oil capacity, no cush drive etc and I wouldnt consider it a dual sport. Maybe others do?

Ask in your area who is the suspension tuner of choice. Take your bike there before doing any miles, drop it off and pick it up sorted. There is more to getting the best out of it than just new springs. Best $ you will spend. That's what I do. Failing that have the dealer do it.

If you are going trail riding also consider the following parts

UHD Tubes
Bark Busters
Bash Plate
Case saver

If its fuel injected

Extra filter in line
Filter sock

Dont forget safety gear
Neck brace
Knee brace
Armour
Boots
Helmet
Goves
Pants
Guernsey or Jacket

panhead_pete screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 06:00 AM
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,683
Race Tech has a program for determining spring rates for various bikes. They also sell springs for most bikes.

http://www.racetech.com

The KTM 500 EXC is sprung for a 165 - 187 lbs rider (pg 50).
http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_ktmpro...3037_en_OM.pdf

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Luckyc1423 OP
Adventurer

I want a dirt bike first and foremost that is capable of street not a street bike that is capable of dirt. It sounds like the 500 exc will be perfect for that.

How long in between services? What all is involved on the service? What and how long are the maintenance periods
Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,683
I believe the link I provided is to the owner's manual, 15 hour oil changes if that's what you're looking for.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote