Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,751
if I'm not mistaken the kill switch will have to drop the coil to ground to kill the motor as it does on the 400ex I'm not sure how that's wired. the key actually cuts all fire to everything with you turn it off that's why it will kill the motor and the switch will not. it's just a matter of getting your wiring right.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Thanks, I did not know that, I'll look into that this weekend. Otherwise the bike runs great.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Nice work! I like the XR400 and might have bought one if they had came with e-start and were available new in '08. Instead I went with the XR 650L and I really have a great time on it. I know the forks on the 400 are better than the 650 but I went with a set of WP forks off of a Husaberg, the difference even on the road was instantly noticeable and off-road increadible. So if you get a chance to do upsidedown forks I highly recommend it.

Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I had a set of rm 125 usd fork setting around for a few yrs. I just lost the motivation for trying to put them on. I may revisit that though. I'm trying to talk a guy at work into a 650l, he is stuck on the idea of a dr650, but as long as he gets somthing to ride.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #20
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Electric Start

When mine was done we used an EX400 crank,balancer,wiring harness,rectifier regulator,cdi, switch,battery box ,etc.All in XR cases.
I also did gold valves and springs.
After riding it the first time --I sold my 650L.
As for the 440 kit ,I went back to the stock cylinder, 10.5:1 piston and a Megacycle stage one cam. I prefer this configuration.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
nice and good job!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #22
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,005
Thanks for posting/documenting this...

I am having the magic button envy issue with my '98 XR400 too. I have been looking for an '05 or newer 400EX donor quad for the swap though. The e-start will be handier than a pocket on a t-shirt, for sure! The added bonus of the "retreat" option, that you get with '05 & newer, will make the package just that much more with enjoyable.

Honda XR "Complete" S/M Wheels For Sale ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20028089

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

That would be good, reverse.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,416
I just don't want to add all the weight
That's why i'm selling the XRL
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

A update.
I burned up a cam and a rocker arm.
I don't think I'm getting enough oil to the top end. I put a new cam and set of rockers in and let it run for a little. Looks kinda of dry. Looked in manuals to see if there was a way of testing oil pressure, but not finding anything, I removed the oil filter and turned the motor over and oil does come out. The only thing I could find in a manual was it looks like the cam chain brings the oil up to the cam and then oil goes through the center of the cam and oil comes out in the little holes supplying the rockers with oil.
But if I have oil pressure, why is the oil not getting to the cam?
Anybody have any ideas?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #26
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
is the donor engine sitting at the same angle as in the EX? maybe the pickup is different and changed angle starves it at times?
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #27
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
The oil for the cam comes up the right side of the motor into the cavity to the right of the cam. The right cam bearing seal holds the oil in the cavity and the oil goes through the center of the camshaft to the holes on the lobes and journals.

Possibilities:

-The right side cam bearing was installed without the seal. This would cause the oil to go through the bearing instead of into the cam.

-There's a bit of gasket, sealant, or other crap in the oil passage that goes up to the head from the pump. This passage crosses several gaskets, so there are several places to screw it up.

-You've got a stock cam with the decompression/kickback parts removed. In that case, there's an unused oil hole that needs to be blocked in order for the oil to get to the rest of the cam.

-You've got a Hotcam, which has the quality that's typical of cheap performance parts.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The oil for the cam comes up the right side of the motor into the cavity to the right of the cam. The right cam bearing seal holds the oil in the cavity and the oil goes through the center of the camshaft to the holes on the lobes and journals.

Possibilities:

-The right side cam bearing was installed without the seal. This would cause the oil to go through the bearing instead of into the cam.

-There's a bit of gasket, sealant, or other crap in the oil passage that goes up to the head from the pump. This passage crosses several gaskets, so there are several places to screw it up.

-You've got a stock cam with the decompression/kickback parts removed. In that case, there's an unused oil hole that needs to be blocked in order for the oil to get to the rest of the cam.

-You've got a Hotcam, which has the quality that's typical of cheap performance parts.

Is there a small aluminum spacer in the sidecover that must be installed for the oil to make it up into the head? If I am not mistaken there is, and without it, you get what you got, and that really sucks!!!!

Wattner screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 02:53 PM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #29
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,751
hey i'm saleing my 98 xr4 motor if you want an extra for parts. I'll sale it cheap.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
If the oil filter is mistakenly installed backwards will cause the same rocker,cam,etc. problems.No oil to the top end.