Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I wasn't asking about quilty of parts. I've used hot cams before and never had a problem and still don't have a problem with cam, this was an oil related question.
None the less I found the problem. The P.O. of the motor had been using silicon for gaskets and most likely had the same problem as I had experianced. There was some silicon plugging up the oil port on the right side case cover that leads to the head.
I tried to take it out with a drill bit and then put air behind it to push it out.

And the little demon bastard that caused me a little grief.

I'd like to think that most people do not practice this kind of mechanics as in using silicone in place of a gasket, but then again I did miss seeing this when cleaning the cases. Since I did have the head off I checked the cylinder wall and it looked good there. I'm shocked that I was able to put 100 miles on the motor before the cam went having no oil get to the top, I guess that assembly lube works pretty good.
Went for a ride today and the motor felt good, I think with some more carb tunning it will be alot better.
I still need to sort out the engine kill switch and clean up the wiring behind the light, but it is going well.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The oil for the cam comes up the right side of the motor into the cavity to the right of the cam. The right cam bearing seal holds the oil in the cavity and the oil goes through the center of the camshaft to the holes on the lobes and journals.

Possibilities:

-The right side cam bearing was installed without the seal. This would cause the oil to go through the bearing instead of into the cam.

-There's a bit of gasket, sealant, or other crap in the oil passage that goes up to the head from the pump. This passage crosses several gaskets, so there are several places to screw it up.

-You've got a stock cam with the decompression/kickback parts removed. In that case, there's an unused oil hole that needs to be blocked in order for the oil to get to the rest of the cam.

-You've got a Hotcam, which has the quality that's typical of cheap performance parts.
Interested to hear more about this? My decomp parts have been taken off by the PO, I want to make sure this oil hole has been addressed.
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,614
Bookmarked and saved for later. I bought a 400ex brand new in 2000 and have been keeping my eyes on a plated XR400R for my ultimate Africa/Russia bike XR400ER

I love the simple xr platform, this bike can really work
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
GCRad1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
SUBSCRIBED!!! Any new updates? Thanks for taking the time to document your build! I will have questions here at some point as I have a CA plated XR400 and this would be my dream build and I have purpose too as my motor is all torn apart.
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote