User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #136
dbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
2008 990

Been running mine for 6 months now with no problems. 40's is the coldest and no issues. Turned over a little slower but still started.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #137
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
Here's the warming recipe that I used (unsuccessfully) at 35 degrees with the bike sitting outside overnight.

This came from Shorai:

Turn the headlight on for 1 minute and then try up to 5
starter attempts. If it doesn't start leave the headlight and warmers on
for 30 seconds and try up to another 5 starter attempts. If it still
doesn't start you can turn the key off for 60 seconds for the battery
voltage level to recover, then turn the key on and try starting without
waiting. It should have started by now, but you can repeat the headlight
and warmers for 30 seconds at a time with 60 seconds resting (no load
periods between starting attempts). I would guess that 3 minutes is more
than enough time to warm the battery. If the hand warmers are used to warm
the battery, be sure to turn them off before cranking.
I have some trouble the other day starting in colder temps, it was about 40 degrees but was in the low to mid 30"s the other night. I turned the key off after about 4 attempts and it fired up.

I don't think I let enough current flow before trying to start it initially. I have to remember to let it sit for a minute before trying to crank it.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #138
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I have some trouble the other day starting in colder temps, it was about 40 degrees but was in the low to mid 30"s the other night. I turned the key off after about 4 attempts and it fired up.

I don't think I let enough current flow before trying to start it initially. I have to remember to let it sit for a minute before trying to crank it.
I think that's a problem with the Shorai instructions. I don't think the lights or even heated grips pull enough current quick enough to warm up the Lithium chemistry rapidly, especially at freezing or below. Might even drain the battery before it ever warms up! A few pulls on the starter, with time allowed between each pull for the heat to spread around the battery, seems to work the best, since the starter pulls big amps. Maybe in balmy California 40+ degree days the other procedure works

My usual procedure on these freezing and subfreezing commute days:

- 1st starter try, barely spins, like it's almost dead. Turn the key off, wait 30 sec

- 2nd starter try, turns over a bit harder, but not enough to start. Key off, let sit another 60 seconds (hard to do, I know)

- 3rd starter try, leaps to life! (usually). If not a few more starter trys, with 60 seconds between usually gets it.

Trying a bunch of starter cycles in rapid fire won't work. No time to heat up.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #139
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Last week I have put my FZ outside to conduct another cold test. Prior test was only for a couple of hours in the freezer and I wanted a real deal. Over night temp got into a single digits. Morning it was only 12. I turned my heated grips on my light does not come on just like yours. While grips were not enough or maybe I did not waited enough only 1-2 min. Bike has started on the 4th try. I know I did not give it enough time to heat it up. For my next test I will plug my heated liner.

WHat was interesting is that I have been checking the voltage as I was going.

Evening 13.4
morning before trying 13.3
after first start - 11.8
2nd - 12.4
3th - 12.7
4th - 12.9 and it fired right up

Unlike regular AGM batteries, Shorai just gets stronger.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #140
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 334
First initial failure to start happened a couple days ago (30F). Attempted to start, engine turned over, failed to light. Let it sit a minute. Started right up. Prior to this, the bike had always started immediately.

Yesterday (upper 20s), after reading the Shorai cold starting notes, I let the bike sit with the high beam light on while I geared up (a couple of minutes), prior to attempting to start. Then I switched the bike off for a minute. Fired right up after that.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #141
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
First initial failure to start happened a couple days ago (30F). Attempted to start, engine turned over, failed to light. Let it sit a minute. Started right up. Prior to this, the bike had always started immediately.

Yesterday (upper 20s), after reading the Shorai cold starting notes, I let the bike sit with the high beam light on while I geared up (a couple of minutes), prior to attempting to start. Then I switched the bike off for a minute. Fired right up after that.
It has been getting colder and i tried a couple of different things the past couple of times. Attempting to start after letting the lights stay on for more than a minute. Hit the starter up to 3 or 4 times. Turn key off, wait for up to a minute, then turn it back on and hit the starter. That seemed to do the trick. My old battery though would fire up on the first attempt no matter how cold it was. I like the weight savings, but I'm not getting the warm fuzzy feeling for cold starts. Also my stocker lasted 3 years before it needed to be replaced and that is never having it on a tender. I guess time will tell with the Shorai. I may need a tender for it this winter.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #142
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,310
Had a few cold nights in a row (low 30s) strange for SoCal.
Shorai wouldn't turn it over so I pulled the headlight fuse then she fired right up.

Hooked it up to a battery tender jr. but thought better of it when I saw red and green flashing lights. Going to read the 1000+ posts on charger compatibility.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #143
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Has anyone considered these Shorai's might cut short the life of the starters with such starting and cranking procedures? What about the dry cell batteries in cold weather? I used one in my (now gone) 1100GS, but it was a larger size than whats called for in the KTM. Im ready to replace the OEM battery and dont want to waste money.
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #144
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,301
He is my ktm 450 story. I had to rebuild engine. After reassembly I accidentally connected stator and voltage regulator wrong way, I didn't figure it out until 2 weeks later. Shorai was sitting at this point for 6 weeks, no charging.
I was able to fire up freshly rebuild engine and go ride, restart multiple times over entire weekend.
A week later I went for another dirt ride. Bike started in the morning(may be 40F) but wouldn't later in the day. That's when I pullout voltmeter and started troubleshooting. It was only 7.4 volts and no charging with engine running.. At this point I figured out that something wasn't right - and found that I screwed up wiring , corrected it and battery was fully charged after couple of minutes of riding. Holly cow.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #145
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baja View Post
Has anyone considered these Shorai's might cut short the life of the starters with such starting and cranking procedures? What about the dry cell batteries in cold weather? I used one in my (now gone) 1100GS, but it was a larger size than whats called for in the KTM. Im ready to replace the OEM battery and dont want to waste money.
The danger to a starter is sustained current, so surely "slow cranking" it could be detrimental? So it would seem that using the lights/accessories to warm up the battery, rather that using the starter, should alleviate concerns of premature failure. Use an initial load (lights, etc.) to warm up the battery, switch everything off for a minute for battery recovery to provide maximum current, then hit the starter. That's my plan anyway. I haven't decided to leave the jumper cables at home just yet though.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #146
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,385
I had a smaller case 14a battery in my 950. Seemed Ok when new but it shat itself and they replaced it quickly. That one lasted a day, they are sending me the larger case battery as replacement. My 570 Husaberg has the same 14a smaller case Shorai and in 40f today it couldn't turn the bike fast enough after warming up and started to drop off again. 30 minutes on a charger and it starts but I can't count on a battery charger everytime it gets cold. The bike was ridden the day before for an hour, needed to warm up the batt before it would light but it did start it.

I've been thru turntechs, ballistics and now 3 returns on 4 Shorais and the 4th isn't working great at this point. Great idea, just not up to the reliability of a good quality lead acid by my experience. As I re-read the warnings I also note if you drain it, like by leaving a light on overnight, the battery is done. Going back to the heavy but good Yuasa batteries. I've not had as many battery issues in my lifetime as in the last 18 months trying these new tech doorstops, and they ain't even good doorstops!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #147
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,923
Check this out,

I bought a new Husaberg FE 570 and with no kick starter, I was worried that if my battery died I would be in serious trouble. So, I bought a new Shorai battery and I carry in the Giant Loop Mojavi saddlebags, don't even notice it!

Haven't had to break out with it yet, but when it is time, I am covered!!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #148
Cougar8000
Adventurer

I am shocked to hear that you went through 3 batteries. It is highly unusual. Out of all that I have sold I think I only saw 4-5 that had to be replaced. And frankly half of them were replaced by Shorai because they figured that bike could use bigger battery even so client only paid for smaller and wanted a smaller at a purchasing time.

As far as they are dead if you drain it I can personally attest to it that it is INCORRECT statement. I have, by accident, drain mine lfx18a1 fully twice. Each time it took only about 45 min on a Shorai charger to bring it back to life and even now after couple of freeze tests it still shows 13.5 after seating in garage and bike hasn't been ridden since early Nov.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #149
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 404
+1 on Shorai replacement. They've been very responsive to my inquiries. Sending me a new battery this month. I believe the current model is receiving an upgrade this month.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #150
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Check this out,

I bought a new Husaberg FE 570 and with no kick starter, I was worried that if my battery died I would be in serious trouble. So, I bought a new Shorai battery and I carry in the Giant Loop Mojavi saddlebags, don't even notice it!

Haven't had to break out with it yet, but when it is time, I am covered!!
I just bought a new Husaberg FE390 and I have a new Shorai waiting to put in, sitting on the bench. Haven't had any problems with starting the 'Berg withthe OEM lead/acid yet, but your idea is a good one, packing along an extra pound is no big deal if you get remote with your bike. I have the MoJavi too.

I replaced the too small, always marginal lead/acid battery in my Aprilia RXV550, which was a tough starter, with the small Shorai, and it started that bike super strong! Was very pleased with it in that application. Just sold the RXV, and having fun with the Berg, and my 990S continues to be my everyday commute workhorse, even in Winter, with the Shorai.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote