ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #151
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
They have been great about replacing them, I'm just tired of having to go thru it over and over again. Getting to a race the morning after the bike ran great and having it fail to start because of the battery stinks. My friend raced the Nationals on a SXf450 and started having the mechanic bring an extra battery to the starting gate as the same stuff was happening to him! I'm sick of the racing pulse and boiling blood pressure at the starting lines. The Burg wasn't as bad the oter day, I just got fully suited up for a cold weather ride and "click-click". At least I wasn't 3 hours drive and $150 in fuel and entry fees deep for that one!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #152
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
i have had my shorai for about a year now, half of that time the bike was apart and the battery sitting in the garage unused. After putting the bike back together the battery worked right away, if anything it performed admirably. It lasted through the priming of my vacuum fuel pump. I am very happy with it. No problems here!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #153
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
So the lesson seems to be if you live in cold climates and ride in the 30s and below Shorais are a pita. Otherwise they're great. Just bought two, glad I live where it rarely gets below 0...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #154
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
So the lesson seems to be if you live in cold climates and ride in the 30s and below Shorais are a pita. Otherwise they're great. Just bought two, glad I live where it rarely gets below 0...
They are PITA only if you let your brain think this way. I have done 2 freeze test and now have no doubt that it will start every time, even if it means 2-3 cranks.

If I am looking for a quick get away I would bring a car with a driver and have him keep the engine running
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #155
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

The sense package is not monitored for it's own draw, but it draws about 8 mA at the 4 samples/sec xmit rate.
Cyborg, I am planning to implement your battery monitoring solution, since I'm especially concerned about eventual high temperatures that could spell disaster, and I was wondering: did the sensory rig own current draw required you to install it on switched power?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #156
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
[/QUOTE]If I am looking for a quick get away I would bring a car with a driver and have him keep the engine running [/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #157
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Today I had to go and help out running gymnastics tournament that my son is going to take place tomorrow. It was around 29 when I left the house and about 31 on the way home. Both times bike has started from the first time. I did plug my Powerlet heated liner in for a couple of min before starting it.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #158
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
I was picking up a new lead acid at my KTM dealer and we shared our stories about these new tech lightweight batteries. He has had the same problems I have, nearly missing the main at a local arenacross too. He is sticking with lead acid in cooler temps. He also fried his Ballistic Battery by trying to jump start the bike. Shouldn't have happened but the case got super hot, battery is toast.

Now I'm used to moving these Shorais around, the weight of a regular 7 series really caught me off guard but better it always works than what I've been dealing with.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #159
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpi View Post
Cyborg, I am planning to implement your battery monitoring solution, since I'm especially concerned about eventual high temperatures that could spell disaster, and I was wondering: did the sensory rig own current draw required you to install it on switched power?

alpi, I ended up pulling out the wireless battery monitor after I found the Shorai battery holds its charge very well. The monitor stuff was a bit too delicate for all the road slime that gets in there from daily commuting all year on the 990, especially in the rain. No I didn't have the sense system on switched power because it drew so little.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #160
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
alpi, I ended up pulling out the wireless battery monitor after I found the Shorai battery holds its charge very well. The monitor stuff was a bit too delicate for all the road slime that gets in there from daily commuting all year on the 990, especially in the rain. No I didn't have the sense system on switched power because it drew so little.
I will probably end-up doing the same (retiring them to my kids RC model flotilla), after I monitor for a while the temperature inside the battery bay during high temps of the summer, and also after I have a better idea of how the G650X regulator/rectifier charges this LiFePO4 during various loads. I got mostly concerned about the fire hazard posed by previous versions of these Shorai batteries, although apparently they fixed that for at least 6 months.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #161
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:

It has been almost a year since you installed the new battery.

What are your thoughts on the battery? Besides the weight difference would you buy it again?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #162
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
I have the bigger battery in my bike and it works great in SOCAL for the last 8 months or so. They are going to be my go to battery.

steve
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #163
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,368
I installed a Shorai last August in my SE. Hasn't been real cold until recently.

13 degrees last night, 23 degrees now. Last ridden 12/30 and not on battery tender. The bike is kept in an unheated/uninsulated shed.

First time I hit the starter all I got was a click

2nd time maybe 1/2 revolution and then click

3rd time same

4th time maybe a full revolution and then click

5th time same

6th time a few revolutions than nothing

I let it rest about 30 seconds

7th time stronger/more revolutions then clicking

I let it rest for another 30 seconds

8th time spun fast and started right up

After running for a few minutes (just to reach 4 bars) I turned it off and put the battery tender on-- it went to blinking (indicating charging but battery at 80% or more) in about 10 seconds; so the battery was hardly depleted.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #164
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I installed a Shorai last August in my SE. Hasn't been real cold until recently.

13 degrees last night, 23 degrees now. Last ridden 12/30 and not on battery tender. The bike is kept in an unheated/uninsulated shed.

First time I hit the starter all I got was a click

2nd time maybe 1/2 revolution and then click

3rd time same

4th time maybe a full revolution and then click

5th time same

6th time a few revolutions than nothing

I let it rest about 30 seconds

7th time stronger/more revolutions then clicking

I let it rest for another 30 seconds

8th time spun fast and started right up

After running for a few minutes (just to reach 4 bars) I turned it off and put the battery tender on-- it went to blinking (indicating charging but battery at 80% or more) in about 10 seconds; so the battery was hardly depleted.
Walter, I have had some success with leaving the lights on for at least a minute before the first attempt. Try to crank a couple of times. Turn the key off for 30 seconds, turn it on again and try hitting the starter, it seemed to turn over after another 2-3 hits of the starter when I do it that way. Someone else had posted trying that and it worked a little better.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #165
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Walter, I have had some success with leaving the lights on for at least a minute before the first attempt. Try to crank a couple of times. Turn the key off for 30 seconds, turn it on again and try hitting the starter, it seemed to turn over after another 2-3 hits of the starter when I do it that way. Someone else had posted trying that and it worked a little better.

That worked ok when it was in the 30's, b ut I wanted to try something different because I was mindful of what was opined about the light/electrics not drawing enough to warm things up, yet possibly depleting the battery. I'll try it that way again when it's colder.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote