Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #166
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I was looking into doing a shorai battery swap but had concerns over this cold weather business, I was considering the value of wiring a Symtec heated grip pad directly to the battery via an on off rocker switch and mounting the heated pads to the side and underside of the battery itself, then just switching it on with the ignition as I go to put my helmet and gloves on, turn the bike around etc

what do you guys think? worthwhile or pointless
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #167
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysidedown View Post
I was looking into doing a shorai battery swap but had concerns over this cold weather business, I was considering the value of wiring a Symtec heated grip pad directly to the battery via an on off rocker switch and mounting the heated pads to the side and underside of the battery itself, then just switching it on with the ignition as I go to put my helmet and gloves on, turn the bike around etc

what do you guys think? worthwhile or pointless
Heating the exterior of the battery through its plastic case doesn't sound to me effective at all in heating up the internal "chemical sandwich". You just need some internal warm-up, which is far more effective to achieve by drawing considerable current turning on major consumers (including heating devices). I really doubt the heated pads would make any difference at all, before drawing way to much from the battery...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #168
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Shorai

Installed one in my other 950 today,turns the bike over with authority.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #169
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
I ordered a Shorai LFX 18 A1-BS12 1/19/11 for my stock 08 990. Loved it. However, it has died on me. A little while ago I found it wouldn't start my bike and it really isn't cold here in Richmond VA. Just pulled it out and the sides are swollen, as we have all seen in bad lead acid batteries.

Well, let's see what they do about it. According to the warrenty info, I may be only due 50% replacement after a year. Dadgummed, cotton pickin' ........

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #170
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
I ordered a Shorai LFX 18 A1-BS12 1/19/11 for my stock 08 990. Loved it. However, it has died on me. A little while ago I found it wouldn't start my bike and it really isn't cold here in Richmond VA. Just pulled it out and the sides are swollen, as we have all seen in bad lead acid batteries.

Well, let's see what they do about it. According to the warrenty info, I may be only due 50% replacement after a year. Dadgummed, cotton pickin' ........
Sorry to hear that. Usually the sides swollen is a result of the battery being charged too hard, like 10+ amps. No idea why it would swell in normal use on a bike.
Call Shorai or email them at tech@shorai.org
Let us know how it turns out.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #171
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Shorai

Just ordered an LFX18A1-BS12 off of eBay. $174.95 w/free shipping. Yikes! Hope it works as advertised.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #172
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

That is very strange. That is the same battery that I am running in my bike. I have managed to kill it twice and every time it came back to life. I was using their charger to revive it.

Call Shorai and talk to them. They are extremely good at taking care of their customers.
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #173
Cougar8000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Just ordered an LFX18A1-BS12 off of eBay. $174.95 w/free shipping. Yikes! Hope it works as advertised.
OUCH. You could have had it cheaper ordering through me :) And would have had your battery tomorrow
Cougar8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #174
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
After neglecting my bike for about four weeks, and letting it sit in a shed all that time, with temps dipping to near zero (F), I decided to see how well that battery was doing. I flipped the lights on for a minute, then let it sit for 30 seconds. It turned over like a dying stocker would, with no combustion. Just one cycle. Left the lights on longer, and waited a minute. Same action resulted with the next try of the starter. Now I'm wondering, is it dead? I try the routine again. Again it turns over once, but more quickly this time. One more try... It cranked over like the battery had suddenly been replaced with a freshly topped off unit, and the bike fired up to life. I was pleased.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #175
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
After neglecting my bike for about four weeks, and letting it sit in a shed all that time, with temps dipping do near zero (F), I decided to see how well that battery was doing. I flipped the lights on for a minute, then let it sit for 30 seconds. It turned over like a dying stocker would, with no combustion. Just one cycle. Left the lights on longer, and waited a minute. Same action resulted with the next try of the starter. Now I'm wondering, is it dead? I try the routine again. Again it turns over once, but more quickly this time. One more try... It cranked over like the battery had suddenly been replaced with a freshly topped off unit, and the bike fired up to life. I was pleased.
That's the typical "warm up" cycle of the existing Shorai's. The chemistry needs to warm up when it's freezing or sub freezing. I understand Shorai is working on some new batteries that will perform better in the cold but no word yet. I've heard the A123 based Lithium batteries also do the same thing at freezing, and sometimes compensate by adding even more capacity and $$. Anyone have direct experience with the other brands?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #176
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Sorry to hear that. Usually the sides swollen is a result of the battery being charged too hard, like 10+ amps. No idea why it would swell in normal use on a bike.
Call Shorai or email them at tech@shorai.org
Let us know how it turns out.
Nope, I used the Jr. charger I ordered with the battery, then the small 30 year old 12 volt sears auto charger I have used on every car and bike I've ever had. I'll report back as it progresses.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #177
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Nope, I used the Jr. charger I ordered with the battery, then the small 30 year old 12 volt sears auto charger I have used on every car and bike I've ever had. I'll report back as it progresses.
What is the max charge rate of your Sears auto charger? A Lithium batt can pull max rate out of a charger where a lead/acid (of any size) usually won't.
I've seen a Shorai batts bulged by being charged past 1.5Amps, the max rate Shorai recommends to recover a dead battery.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #178
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

I'll look. I only did that after it failed to start the bike and the Jr. charger didn't work for several days.

Full disclosure though...my father died in late November and I took off to stay with him a month as he was going down. I was running down there often and the bike had not been started in 6 weeks. However, it still should have been good the first year!

Ok, it's 3 amps. 3 amps for a 9 to 12 hour period but...it wouldn't start after the Jr.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #179
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
I'll look. I only did that after it failed to start the bike and the Jr. charger didn't work.

Full disclosure though...my father died in late November and I took off to stay with him a month as he was going down. I was running down there often and the bike had not been started in 6 weeks. However, it still should have been good the first year!.

Ok, it's 3 amps.
Very sorry to hear about your father, been though that too, 3 years ago.

I would call Shorai and tell them your circumstances. The Jr. charges at .5A IIRC and I would think that 3A is still not over the top. Not sure what rate the Shorai charger charges at.

If you don't have any loads on the bike the Shorai batts usually hold their charge level for up to a year (claimed). I think the only load on the 950/990's is the ECU/display keeping the clock current. Not sure how much that is. I have another used one sitting on my workbench and it barely lost a tenth of a volt in ~6 months.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #180
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
These batteries sound super.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote